SRDEPAZ

BAD FPS with gtx1080Ti and i7 7800X

Hi, I have bought a new PC and in Arma 3 I usually get 40-50fps and decreases to 30fps.

My PC settings are:

GPU: MSI GTX 1080TI 11GB

Mother Board: MSI x299 Pro Carbon

CPU: i7 7800x (8 cores)

HEAT SINK: Noctua NH-D15S

RAM: 32GB

HARD DRIVE: Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD PCI-e 512GB

Is it normal to have these FPS in Arma with this PC settings? I read Arma 3 used more CPU than GPU. I have also read that for games its better a cpu with 4 cores and more latency (like 7700K) than my 7800x. 

How can I get more fps or more stability in the game? Is anything wrong?

(CPU ~40-50ºC in game)

HELP PLEASE! Thanks!

Hi there.

You should Overclock that CPU so it is running at the highest frequency possible while being stable. ARMA can use as much cpu power as possible, especially with many AI running since that thread appears to be a single thread or process.

Unfortunately, you have 8 cores which means it will be running very hot if you overclock up to 5 GHZ. You will also need a huge cpu cooler, probably a water cooler with 240 mm radiator all in one unit at the very least.

You will probably need to find a tutorial on another website on how to overclock though.

10 minutes ago, Valken said:

Hola.

Debe Overclock que la CPU por lo que se está ejecutando en la mayor frecuencia posible, mientras que siendo estable. ARMA puede utilizar la mayor cantidad posible de energía de la CPU, especialmente con muchos AI ejecutándose desde que el hilo parece ser un solo hilo o proceso.

Desafortunadamente, usted tiene 8 núcleos que significa que estará funcionando muy caliente si overclock hasta 5 GHZ. Usted también necesitará un enfriador enorme de la CPU, probablemente un refrigerador de agua con el radiador de 240 milímetros todo en una unidad por lo menos.

Usted probablemente tendrá que encontrar un tutorial en otro sitio web sobre cómo overclock sin embargo.

Thanks Valken, so the problem is with CPU... Thanks again! I will try to oc the cpu!

First of all, where did you get the low fps?

- goto editor: open altis, place a unit, check fps

- ipc in this game is all you need, skylakex ipc is not as good as sky/kaby lake, so overclocking is a potential solution

- fps in multiplayer games are heavily affected by the server hosting it (script bloated mission, mods etc also decrease fps)

- forget all magical launch parameters and/or fps "optimizing" guides

hw wise you want the highest singlecore IPC you get, also fast ram helps a lot, your gpu is more than sufficient (also the rest of the system...)

ps: the 7800x is a 6core cpu, not 8core...

In BIOS, try to disconnect Intel VT (Intel Virtualization Technology).

It won't raise FPS, but falling of FPS is rare.
It helps me, a game goes more well, without frequent breakthroughs.

17 hours ago, yxman said:

First of all, where did you get the low fps?

- goto editor: open altis, place a unit, check fps

- ipc in this game is all you need, skylakex ipc is not as good as sky/kaby lake, so overclocking is a potential solution

- fps in multiplayer games are heavily affected by the server hosting it (script bloated mission, mods etc also decrease fps)

- forget all magical launch parameters and/or fps "optimizing" guides

hw wise you want the highest singlecore IPC you get, also fast ram helps a lot, your gpu is more than sufficient (also the rest of the system...)

ps: the 7800x is a 6core cpu, not 8core...

Hey Yxman!

I have tested the game and the fps:

-Editor: kavala - 60-80fps

tanoa (georgtown) - 50-60-80fps

-Campaign: Tanoa - 50-80fps

-Multiplayer:

-> Escape of Malden OFFICIAL SERVER 16/18 players 40 ping -

. In full combat with fire, near tank explosions, rpg shots, tanks destroyed, smoke, etc: 30-35 fps aproximated

. Without fire and explosions: 55-70fps

-> KotH 90 players 40 ping ALTIS Custom

. Kavala: In air- 55fps | In car- 30fps  | Foot- 30-40fps with 25fps lowest and 50fps highest | Out of kavala: 60fps

-> Altis Life 53 players Plata o Plomo (Spanish server) 35 ping

. Kavala Center: 30fps

A question... whats IPC? the same of CPU?

-ps: the 7800x is a 6core cpu, not 8core... : Sorry! Its true!, its a 6core cpu

Thanks a lot!

17 hours ago, lex__1 said:

In BIOS, try to disconnect Intel VT (Intel Virtualization Technology).

It won't raise FPS, but falling of FPS is rare.
It helps me, a game goes more well, without frequent breakthroughs.

ok i'll try too!

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, SRDEPAZ said:

Hey Yxman!

I have tested the game and the fps:

-Editor: kavala - 60-80fps

tanoa (georgtown) - 50-60-80fps

-Campaign: Tanoa - 50-80fps

-Multiplayer:

-> Escape of Malden OFFICIAL SERVER 16/18 players 40 ping -

. In full combat with fire, near tank explosions, rpg shots, tanks destroyed, smoke, etc: 30-35 fps aproximated

. Without fire and explosions: 55-70fps

-> KotH 90 players 40 ping ALTIS Custom

. Kavala: In air- 55fps | In car- 30fps  | Foot- 30-40fps with 25fps lowest and 50fps highest | Out of kavala: 60fps

-> Altis Life 53 players Plata o Plomo (Spanish server) 35 ping

. Kavala Center: 30fps

A question... whats IPC? the same of CPU?

-ps: the 7800x is a 6core cpu, not 8core... : Sorry! Its true!, its a 6core cpu

Thanks a lot!

Your CPU is a 6core/12 threads CPU indeed, and while in theory parallel computing is better (the more cores/threads the better), some of arma's bottlenecks are due to the fact that a lot of the CPU demanding tasks are not scalable or multi-threaded...

In any case, while your PC might be indeed well above the average PC gamers rig, you need to take into account quite a few factors:

a. your local settings (you cannot expect to run arma at ultra with all the sliders pushed to the max) - it also depends on the amount of AI running, amount of draw calls (objects present on screen), particle effects etc  -60+ FPS is a very good number

b. a lot of community servers do have run of patato/unoptimised specs (from virtualised servers to shitty box specs), especially on altis life crap. A lot of the low FPS bottlenecks can also occur due to poor/intensive scripted missions and poor allocation of existing resources.

To conclude, your rig is just fine. Arma is not really made to with the most recent hardware in mind, and also you cannot judge you own performance in MP solely based on your own specs, there are other things that comes into play, that have no relation with your own PC.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I thought ARMA could only use 4 cores maximum

i have been using my 6core i7 980x since before A3, it works just ok

Display size,View Distance and AA....?

Do you let NVDA 3d control panel  make the adjustments or do you let the ingame settings do it. 

You need to unlock your PC's potential !!

Try this:  Go to "Documents" via "File Explorer", select ARMA3 folder and open the A3 CFG file and replace the default values with these:

refresh=240;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

It will do wonders for A3 performance even in the most intense situations.

Intel I7 4710 HQ overclocked to 3.5Ghz

NVIDIA 860M 4Gig Vram.

16 gig memory.

I get 50-60 fps in Georgetown

I get 70-80 fps in most other maps in wide open terrain.

With a 4 gig video card.

If you want more performance, try this guide!  Best Guide to date

Scott Out!

PS,

Turn your View Distance down to about 800 to 1000 and see if you see a difference.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swtx said:

You need to unlock your PC's potential !!

Try this:  Go to "Documents" via "File Explorer", select ARMA3 folder and open the A3 CFG file and replace the default values with these:

refresh=240;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

It will do wonders for A3 performance even in the most intense situations.

Intel I7 4710 HQ overclocked to 3.5Ghz

NVIDIA 860M 4Gig Vram.

16 gig memory.

I get 50-60 fps in Georgetown

I get 70-80 fps in most other maps in wide open terrain.

With a 4 gig video card.

If you want more performance, try this guide!  Best Guide to date

Scott Out!

PS,

Turn your View Distance down to about 800 to 1000 and see if you see a difference.  

Hello! I alredy have these options changed. Your game settings are in Ultra? 

My view Distance its in 2000-2500

Edited by SRDEPAZ
change

13 hours ago, kklownboy said:

Display size,View Distance and AA....?

Do you let NVDA 3d control panel  make the adjustments or do you let the ingame settings do it. 

Display: 1920x1200 

Distance: 2000-2500

AA is antialiasing?: I think...  x8

I use nvidia game experience to optimize the game

AA needs to be 4x.  Lower your view distance and follow the guide I linked above on YouTube.

Be sure to follow the additional linked guide on the YouTube page.  It will show you how to get the best results out of your Nvidia settings.

28 minutes ago, swtx said:

AA needs to be 4x.  Lower your view distance and follow the guide I linked above on YouTube.

Be sure to follow the additional linked guide on the YouTube page.  It will show you how to get the best results out of your Nvidia settings.

Okay, thanks a lot!!

I could be wrong but didn't the new nvidia patch notes( latest think yesterday). have on the fix notes issues with low performance related to Low GPU usage for SLI configurations on X299 platforms, resulting in poor performance. I know it sli but could be driver related.

try downloading it and see.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, teabagginpeople said:

I could be wrong but didn't the new nvidia patch notes( latest think yesterday). have on the fix notes issues with low performance related to Low GPU usage for SLI configurations on X299 platforms, resulting in poor performance. I know it sli but could be driver related.

try downloading it and see.

So, i need to install an old driver?

3 hours ago, SRDEPAZ said:

So, i need to install an old driver?

no there was a driver release yesterday stating issues in gpu slowing down in sli for the x range.

you could be seeing a similar variant of the same issue. 

so download the very latest and test looking for improvements. using shadow play.

then perhaps go a few drivers back and see if there is a notable difference. 

Great thread! Thanks for posting.

End of September here i built a new computer, you can see my specs in my sig, i went from a duel core, with 8gb ram, gtx 970, 850psu to current.

Average fps for me ranged 25-35 depending that was in sp/mp i been used to that for the past 10yrs arma1, arma2, OA, and now Arma3 til 2 weeks ago!

Now i average 80+fps anywhere, with everything maxed out, im not used to this performance, or even the graphics, i been sitting on single to duel core since i been in the series,

after all these freaking years of low performance, so so graphics, now when i get ingame im like wow.... :shock:

anyways im just saying be happy your getting at least 50fps anyone that can get that, especially in arma of all games, i could seriously not be happier with the game!

Upgrading, building it yourself, or buying something already built whatever you do, do it, imo its seriously worth it, it really adds a level of immersion for you, people may complain that $60 for arma3

or whatever it is now is alot, right now where im at what i can do, and have done, I'd easily pay 10x that, well not really but, lol you get the idea, its well worth it!

Thanks @swtx for your information i will do this, my computer currently isn't overclocked, so im sitting at a default 4.2ghz which is still good.

Hi again,

I'm going to say it... OP is fine to run at ULTRA settings with his 1080 Ti because MOST of those effects are shader based which would rely on GPU power, not CPU. The only thing really affects him more is CPU plus map draw distance, and object draw distance since all that loads into RAM from the HD or SSD.

I hope you have ARMA installed onto a SSD because ARMA streams in the content as you travel along the map.

Also, as some others say ARMA's main bottleneck are the AI task handling (single thread) and the power of the server due to either network congestion (PING) or load (again, single threaded AI task handling).

He can increase his own game performance by OC'ing his CPU but he cannot control the server's performance.

Here is a recent benchmark with the new Intel CPUs that show how up OC the CPU alone can increase performance (this is with a 1080 GTX, not Ti):

oc_nv_arma3.png

His 7800x CPU jumps from 54 min FPS to 62 min FPS just by OC'ing from 4.0 GHZ to 4.8 GHZ. His average is about 10 FPS higher.

I run a 4970K @ 4.4 GHZ with 1060 GTX on Ultra but with 8x AA ON @ 1080p. He is fine with 8x AA with that 1080 Ti. Plenty of power. Just watch the draw distance since that loads all the objects into his VRAM. The CPU or the network server is his and our bottleneck for ARMA 3.

I cannot wait for ARMA 4 which hopefully one day will multi-thread the AI task. Not going to wait for 6+ GHZ CPUs because it will take much longer. :P

10 hours ago, SRDEPAZ said:

Display: 1920x1200 

Distance: 2000-2500

AA is antialiasing?: I think...  x8

I use nvidia game experience to optimize the game

you can run 8x and i would. VD is fine, tho 1600 is kind of a sweet spot.   Welcome to ARMA... the game you can play in the 30s

My old cpu is   4.2 all cores, but the game is a single core engine monster. OC over 4.0 is the way. Take your time bet you could get 4.5

On 09/10/2017 at 6:54 PM, PuFu said:

i have been using my 6core i7 980x since before A3, it works just ok

Yes you can play with more cores but does it show usage on all cores?

I remember once there was a thread like this, the guy had a 980ti but he didn't plug it in and was running off Intel Integrated Graphics :hehe: