devildog

Arma 4 a look to the future

On 1/20/2021 at 3:00 AM, sgt_hawkins said:

Regardless of how you feel about female combat soldiers.. the complete lack of female units for me was a deal breaker and I moved on to other games.

I have recently checked back to see what progress Arma 3 has made over the years and found that modders finally filled the void. I feel like i can finally make the type of missions I enjoy creating again. Hopefully Arma 3 still has enough of a player base to enjoy them.

I don't think female character units is too much to ask for in 2021.....

Well...BI did release screenshots in the pre-Alpha days showing women so it's not like they excluded female characters from Arma 3 based on "feelings".

tVcPmXE.jpg

I think it's safe to say they were cut purely for technical limitations given that the new uniform/vest system isn't really suited to non-male bodies. But seeing as how DayZ addresses female characters wearing male-oriented apparel/vests, it shouldn't be far-fetched to assume that any future Arma title would (probably) feature females again -- even if they were just civilians.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:00 AM, sgt_hawkins said:

I was super excited and I started working on a campaign featuring two families journey to becoming insurgents. Which was going to be based off some real life experiences that I have encountered. I never finished it because the female character assets were never delivered like I expected them too. I couldn't make the story make any sense whatsoever without female units.

Is it really that vital that your characters have to be female? The story arc of one of the main characters in BI's Remnants of War more or less follows the idea of a family slowly jumping aboard the insurgency train for various reasons. Gender played zero significance and yet the narrative/dialogue remained superb. Surely you'd be able to accommodate your story to the lack of females?

The tone is maybe a bit off here, my comment seemingly ignited a lot more then I intended. Perhaps because things have not been resolved over there at all.

I never said, nor insinuated anything like:

4 hours ago, sgt_hawkins said:

If you are from a third world country and still see women as property or as lesser human beings...then I honestly don't know what to tell you.

That is entirely your projection.

You know, I played Insurgency Sandstorm recently. The game has a very authentic atmosphere, incredibly punchy sounds for explosions and support assets. A bit overdone tbh but they obviously put a lot of effort into sound with intent to make it feel like a warzone or at least like an actual firefight is going down. Heavy emphasis is also on callouts, screams and other various sounds associated with movement and so on. The game also features female combat units, you can choose to play as a female unit for security faction. Naturally, this being a PC multiplayer game and despite the playerbase being rather modest in size and mature in nature compared to something like Call of Duty, this translates into around 25-30% or players using female units. At least 95% of those are actual guys though.

So there can be quite a lot of female units in a match and if you play as insurgent then your goal is in turn to eliminate the opposition, obviously. I have to say, engagements and killing/dying aspect is particularly uncomfortable in this game. You hear horrific screams when characters are burning for example. That is all nothing though compared how all that sounds when a woman is on receiving end. I was profoundly unsettled by this, not to mention how gunning down a woman in such an authentic (at least compared to other games) situation felt just straight up wrong.

Similarly, back in 1995 or something it didn't really matter what the game was about, it was just some blobs pixels you were shooting at. Doom, Quake, no big deal, right? But have you seen the new Doom games for example? This horrific, demonic entities rendered in explicit detail. Quite disgusting to look at, let alone model, texture and animate that. I truly feel sorry for those developers. And so your supposed to be fighting demons as this Doom guy, that's the premise, right but what you're really doing by playing such a game is homogenizing yourself to these abhorrent things.

Therefore, like to demonic abominations, you eventually get also get used to killing women in such a horrific manner. Historically, real conflicts provoke the most extreme emotions and after prolonged periods of time, inevitably negative ones take over. Having women among combat units then only exacerbates mental issues for whole element. Never mind the material and logistical burdens it creates, all kinds of biologically driven emotions start to creep into minds that have to be 100% focused on doing something terrible to begin with, kill or be killed. If there are female combat units on both sides, then the act of killing can also become associated with indecent relations, inevitably leading to the worst kinds of irreversible mental conditions. It's not a joke, war! Look into the soul of this man, and ask yourself what you see, truly look at him.

All of this and much, much more is known for thousands of years. It is also known by US military and should be know to you, considering PTSD epidemic and other kinds of chronic mental conditions veterans are suffering from. US military, as most other and rightly so, does not govern itself however, that is why it appears progressive.

That is why men step up when motherland (or some king) calls, because we love our women, cherish them and want to protect them. So women can be women and ensure that our kind continues and not try to be men. Women are women, they are not men and vice versa. They are not anything less or more then men morally but biologically outcome of your statement below is simply not true. Do you have any idea what truly happens to a female body that undergoes some military training programs? I'll give you a hint, the ability to bear children goes first. As a society we should strive to promote utilizing each of us to our strength and some lines also have to be drawn, this anything goes mentality does not produce sound fruit.

We don't live in 1972 and we shouldn't have the women cant perform this or that role....type of argument.

Truly, that may not be the case but your whole post seems to reflect this polar, versus mentality that is garnered through primarily media over there, at least judging by the type of shit you guys export all over the world through it. I'm sure that is not the case though for 90% of American population that actually work their ass off from 9 to 5 in order to feed their families and keep the repo away. Again, that's not necessarily the case but that's how it can appear but I digress.

I could expand this a lot more, there is whole series of topics and demesne but this is an offtopic Arma 4 wishlist thread after all. So TL:DR Why am I saying all this? Because Arma is not some hunger-game-battle-royale normalizing psychopathy, it is in essence about regular military. I don't have a particular problem with female character models in game, don't have a problem with a bit shorter skirts for that matter (within reason). The opposite, some type of bodyslide thing for males and females would be welcome in game in order to offer different body types and subsequently broader range of scenarios, though wouldn't cry my eyes out if not. I do however, think that multiplayer should have female combat units gated behind an addon, not a scripted switch.

8 hours ago, drebin052 said:

I think it's safe to say they were cut purely for technical limitations given that the new uniform/vest system isn't really suited to non-male bodies. But seeing as how DayZ addresses female characters wearing male-oriented apparel/vests, it shouldn't be far-fetched to assume that any future Arma title would (probably) feature females again -- even if they were just civilians.

You're probably right...Who is to say....Ironically enough I was banned from the forum for my last post ( the one saying slavery is bad and women should have equal rights...🤔) and I had to contact BI to dispute it. It was overturned so atleast common sense prevailed. I seriously doubt that the developers have some weird misogynistic agenda. I think some of the player base might be a little toxic and there might be an overzealous moderator here or there. I otherwise don't see it as a conspiracy against women....from the developers. I typically only seeing a few members of the player base making these arguments.

TBH it seems like a weird thing to argue over. It seems the argument is that its not realistic to have women in combat roles.

Please look at this for perspective..... Bannerlord is a realistic medieval sim type of game. You can have male/female and any type of race of character that you want.  Its also not realistic to have a Black man leading white armies. Yet not one of these same people would dare make that argument. 

At the end of the day people want to play as a character that represents them. Nobody should tell a person of color that they cant create a character of color because its unrealistic. Why cant we give women the same respect?

"Is it really that vital that your characters have to be female?"

Yes, and let me demonstrate....

notdudes.png?width=285&height=175&fit=bo

This looks like a few families gathered around.

dude.png?width=285&height=175&fit=bounds

This is just a bunch of dudes.

I don't know how I can convince you that there are family elements in the second picture......its just a bunch of dudes.

Arma 4 everyone.  Or not... That is the question. After Arma 3 but sex.

Hello,

I didn't realize this thread already existed, so I had created a new one, but of course it was locked.

Due to my laziness, I'm just going to post my post as a link, as it took quite a long time to write.

So here's my take on Arma 4:

Hey,

I'm new to the forum, but not the franchise, and I just wanted to discuss something potentially game changing for mil-sim and tactics-based video games: procedurally generated buildings and interiors. So basically, the upcoming Six Days in Fallujah has procedural generation for interiors and city blocks to keep players on their toes when playing as the invading force to help give them a sense of what soldiers go through in an urban environment, and I thought this repurposed technology could be used for the community's mission designers and map makers to make their lives a little bit easier.

I'm not sure how exactly the procedural generation works, but I'm guessing it uses actual procedurally generated buildings and not hand-crafted chunks, based on a frame-by-frame analysis of the gameplay reveal trailer. If ArmA 4 could use this technology, both co-op and PVP would have astronomically more ways to play, potentially bringing in more players and further influencing other shooters through the community's mods.

Several Game engines are Doing this now  Star Citizen or the unreal wild plugin: 

For me Arma 3 nearly was perfect but the textures, Terrain, bushes from far or through  a scope need Work. Nordkindchen had an Idea back in the days, maybe the engine overcomes those  limitations now.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 10:32 AM, tremanarch said:

Several Game engines are Doing this now  Star Citizen or the unreal wild plugin: 

please stop posting any videos from this bloke....the guy is the most ignorat asshat arma-related youtuber...

5 hours ago, PuFu said:

please stop posting any videos from this bloke....the guy is the most ignorat asshat arma-related youtuber...

And what in his videos about Arma makes him so?

I'm not defending the guy, nor do i watch his videos i have maybe a couple of times in the past but aside that, you have examples

as to why you would say something without any reason?

On 5/7/2021 at 3:32 PM, tremanarch said:

For me Arma 3 nearly was perfect but the textures, Terrain, bushes from far or through  a scope need Work. Nordkindchen had an Idea back in the days, maybe the engine overcomes those  limitations now.

Engine looks really good but those explosions needs work! It's so overused in other UE games that we can tell it came from UE!

I wonder will Enfusion or ARMA 4 get RTGI like Metro Exodus, with a slider for range to calculate and scale up? I like it a lot, but understand RTGI cannot be used extensively in the full open world. Just within some FOV would suffice! I think DayZ SA could be tested for it.

• Like 2

Bluedrake just about money for promotion isn't he !

Anyway topic.

Do we really believe there will be a Arma 4 ?

I don't think it will be anything like a milsim, even if it does arrive.

Long live Arma 2 OA and it's siblings.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:44 PM, Gunter Severloh said:

And what in his videos about Arma makes him so?

as to why you would say something without any reason?

it isn't without reason, the guy is complete fraud.

1 hour ago, PuFu said:

:h: again what in his videos about Arma makes him a fraud?

• Like 1

im curious if bluedrake is actually a complete fraud or not, but i may need to check if its true

On 5/12/2021 at 5:27 PM, PuFu said:

I'd like to see a system like NR6 HAL implemented into Arma 4.

Spoiler

I know there are AI mods that feeds information from one AI group to the next but I was thinking about something like an overarching group AI that is a module that can be synchronized to a unit in the mission or stand on its own as a virtual unit. E.g like at a platoon, company, or battalion level. The AI designated as a commander can order non grouped, individual AI squads to move, attack, defend, support, etc. To elaborate a little more a system where you can give the AI commander waypoints in the editor like seek and destroy and it will order the squads to move to the location. The Squad would still have the autonomy to choose formation, speed, behavior. But if one squad comes under attack the overarching AI commander can send the other squads in as support, counter attack, retreat or hold positions. These should be customizable settings in a module.

I guess in a nut shell what I'm asking for is a military command hierarchy in a sense😀

Something like High Command but for one AI ?

Spoiler

AIs don't know how to lace up their shoes.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, pierremgi said:

High Command but for one AI

Yeah

If anything, I'd like Arma 4 to be a more like a realistic tactical simulator than a cinematics tool. My inspiration is always Steel Beasts Pro, a training tool intended to allow even the rudest and crudest of grunts to be able to quickly create realistic scenarios while at the same time as being simple, it's extremely powerful with clever and intuitive conditions/events/triggers logic tool. The problem with all OPF and Arma games throughout the years have always being its inability to accomplish the basics without extremely frustrating scripting and debugging. The scripting is without a doubt an absolutely powerful tool, the problem is when it becomes or when it became a dependency instead of being a just helpful addition. One should be able to at least accomplish creating a full working realistic scenario with only the Mission Editor alone and none scripting at all.

Just tried searching this thread, but there's nothing about the ARMA - Reforger leak:https://imgur.com/a/yliFD5v

More info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/kqfs69/arma_reforger_arma_4/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Seems to be a Cold War based game in Enfusion. Leaker (current [or ex] BI employee) said it was for PC and XBOX (PS5 later) and MP only with modding and 2 game modes. Seems like it is a test bed to bridge the gap between Real Virtuality and Enfusion. I think it will allow mods to port their stuff over, so when the full fledged ARMA 4 drops, modders will already be familiar with Enfusion's systems.

If it is true - I can see it dropping in June for the 20th anniversary of the release of Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.

I think if it were mp only (which I doubt for Arma 4), it would mark the end of the series.

But I can't see them not doing a sp side, or indeed editor.

Talking about Arma as a plattform ...imagine a working 50 vers 50 players Arma combined warfare MP mode ( or two) with the possibility to simply swap settings from WWII over Vietnam to near future etc and the same for COOP.

If I would be in charge I would do exactly that...a SP campain which follows the events of Arma 3, this time something around arctic warfare maybe and then provide the proper engine and proper coop and mp modes that can be adapted for all the third party content that covers all the different settings may it be Korea or Rhodesia, Vietnam or Afganistan.....the more flexible the engine the more settings would be thinkable....and all of that supported by mods 🙂

If done right, this would f..k all the wannabe military shoooters out there in the behind big time ....

Interesting. A simplified Arma on a new engine and on new platforms (Xbox and PS), excited to see it!

And finally, there’s a pretty important 20th anniversary coming up. Any idea what that might be?

This has been posted in the  Bohemia Recap May 2021.

https://www.bohemia.net/blog/bohemia-recap-may-2021

Let's remember that OFP was marketed on 22nd June 2001. In three weeks we're going to make 20 years since that historic moment.

What moment could be better for announce Arma 4 that the 20th anniversary???

Other option could be some kind of updated OFP content updated for Arma.3, for example Everon o another of the old OFP islands as DLC, ala Malden 2035...

We will see on 22nd...

• Thanks 1

I think it's very obvious from that blog post, that there WON'T be any Arma 4 announcement in June at all.

• Thanks 1

There was speculation that there could be an announcement of an Arma 3.5 coming next month, but after reading the blog post, it would seem that isn't likely either.  

• Haha 1