devildog

Arma 4 a look to the future

I don't think arma 3 is futuristic, Leopard 2, Fennek, Pandur, M-ATV, Patria, ZIL.... are modern vehicle, the NATO armored variant are Merkava (1979) but the conflict take place in futur. For me its just strange to see an American army with Israelian armored vehicle and CSAT with strange gear. In my opinion AAF are well done they represent perfectly a modern European force, CSAT and NATO are weird...

WW2 its a good idea, but i think a lot of people enjoy modern equipement like NVG, target laser, and there is ton of game in WW2 era.

I would like to see a modern A4, with different faction not a old est vs west conflict..... and an other blueside faction that always the American.

I think they choose American faction for commercial strategy so there a lot of chance to see an American blue faction.

It can be cool to see a fictionnal conflict beetween North America (USA&Canada) vs European  (France, England and Germany) like this they can ensure the scenario credibility and many type of terrain European town or country, tropical, mountain, snow and also american town or country and + DLC like a East coallition take advantage of the conflict for invade western europe they will face mainly against a Resistance EU fighters. So a fictionnal WW3 conflict (or maybe not fictionnal)....

• Like 2

On 2018/3/3 at 9:17 AM, darksidesixofficial said:

I think Arma 3 has enough great features, mostly in the Aiming, stance, and overall feel of the Shooter element of the game that i would be extremely disappointed if they didn't make it into a future Arma. In terms of the engine though, there's a few things that should be looked into seriously.

-View Distance overhaul = Pretty much joining where the next generation of games is going, and finally get rid of the fake fog view limitations.

-World map and Optimizations = Most games these days are mind blowing with what they can achieve. Arma's strong point was vast open sandbox, but after seeing some games development breaking into next gen Worlds, and features such as server meshing/streaming, essentially allowing larger players per server(s), and having multiple servers on one map, going from one area to another means streaming into another server, essentially stitched together creating an environment capable of hosting 200-500 players in the same area simultaneously.

I'm suddenly tired so ill continue some other time. I meant to go into more detail with some really interesting things Arma could do and still stay true to it's genre and grow.

---------- Agree, ArmA4 should bring us real horizontal line instead of a circle viewdisance line. GTA5 had a good deal with it.

• Like 2

the main thing which not implemented in Arma - realistic destruction of buildings and terrain. 

-  The different sized holes in the walls from different calibers, tactical holes in wall from explosion, partial destruction of buildings by nearest explosions, destruction of buildings by vehicle. Doors go to hell, I want to enter in house on tank !!! 

- Need craters on ground from explosion, burning grass and trees (Tanoa i want to burn you), destruction of trees and bushes by bullets

• Like 5

We really, REALLY need a GTA level style of vehicle doors opening / closing when you enter them.

I'm tired of seeing a guy across the map press a button and float in the air for a second and disappear into a tank. 

• Like 3

On 3/15/2018 at 8:36 PM, M. Glade said:

We really, REALLY need a GTA level style of vehicle doors opening / closing when you enter them.

I remember the SLX mod for ArmA 1 had the Humvee doors open and close when you enter them. Good times.

• Like 2

arma 4. i reckon bi should focus on an amazing story, set in a dystopia. the setting to 1984 as an inspiration, like a more subtle, adult and realistic half life 2. maybe playing as a soldier slowly coming round to the hypocrisy of his own side. id want to play as an anti hero. someone flawed and struggling with their own guilt and conscience. with their work life, their inner longings and their own subversive thoughts.  i think would resonate with a lot of people.

by the way talking of half life 2, thje alien invasion theme from what i have seen has massive potential in the arma universe, but apart from the excellent alienz mod, it is mostly untapped.

• Like 1

A story is the last thing BI should be focusing on. As far as I'm concerned, Arma 4 should be a platform first and foremost. Ideally they wouldn't waste a single second on making assets, but obviously they'll need to since the vanilla game needs to have playable content.

If you want an amazing story, go learn the editor and make one yourself.

• Like 3

Nothing beats a good main story. The problem is I havnt seen one since opf and resistance. Imho they should do remakes of them and use the same voices. New players could experience the two amazing campaigns and old players could re-live the fond memories. Easier for BI too as they know they will ship 2 good campaigns. Sure they need to openly explain that yes they are re-selling old campaigns but they are worth it and, as you say, the game should be a platform.

So yes I agree, functional AI and environment is of the highest importance. 99% of my time is in usermade missions with RHS assets. I just wish I could spend that 1% listening to Kozlovski :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, andersson said:

Nothing beats a good main story. The problem is I havnt seen one since opf and resistance. Imho they should do remakes of them and use the same voices. New players could experience the two amazing campaigns and old players could re-live the fond memories. Easier for BI too as they know they will ship 2 good campaigns. Sure they need to openly explain that yes they are re-selling old campaigns but they are worth it and, as you say, the game should be a platform.

I would like to see a cold war scenario in Arma 4 and OFP and Resistance would be the perfect fit. You could even expand on the original and perhaps expand on what Victor Troska did while he was a Special Forces Soldier with James Gastovski.

• Like 3

To be honest, I think the Arma 3 main story is quite good (still not as good as resistance, but they made an effort)

I tried some official gameplay in A3 but always rage quit as the missions are too much dependent on "xbox UI" (<- excuse me ;) ).

As I play without any UI help (except stance and weapon info) I struggle finding my way as BI rely on WP UI instead of a written briefing with solid markers.

But maybe I should give the official campaigns a try...

10 hours ago, dot256 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2mnaCqLKYQ

Arma 3 or new environment?

Considering the article from Doupe.cz this vid seems to be based on, I doubt it's from ArmA 4 , as the devs were not allowed to even talk about the future Arma project. But the snowy map at the end is an eye-opener.

As for Enfusion in mentioned article, Petr Benýšek, Chief Technology Officer at BI said about the new engine: "It will have a much more modern core, suitable for today's processors and graphic cards with their use of parallel processing in much greater scale than before, while retaining strenghts, known from the RV engine, on which the Arma series is based on."

The article also mentions the dev's goal to implement emotions of the soldiers to their warfare games with their photogrammetry technology. Right now, the goal is up to 60 facial expressions.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2018 at 12:53 AM, andersson said:

"xbox UI" (<- excuse me ;) ).

Hahaha that's great, I'm stealing this. I too play without the "Xbox UI" and I know what you mean, the missions are often clearly designed around use of the waypoint markers, which is especially hard when it's something like "pick up an item from somewhere in our base" that leads you on a hunt all over the base just to find your gear.

On 4/10/2018 at 2:44 PM, Adamicz said:

But the snowy map at the end is an eye-opener.

Return to Chernarus?  Or perhaps...Chernarus in a cold war winter?

I hope BI focuses on features and gameplay elements instead of content to be honest.  This would be more inline with the idea of BI supporting 3rd party DLCs, relying on modders to create the bulk of the content while they create and develop the platform.  This could be a solution to players migrating to other games inspired by ArmA, like Tarkov or PUBG.

• Like 2

I imagine this is Day Z footage - seeing as that's their immediate focus. But potentially given how popular Chernarus is Bohemia might return to the Green Sea region in future.

Perhaps Bi will continue its nod to the titles past by building out the area around Chernarus (and maybe include the original terrain). That would be cool to fly beyond the current borders of Cherno.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rich_R said:

Perhaps Bi will continue its nod to the titles past by building out the area around Chernarus (and maybe include the original terrain). That would be cool to fly beyond the current borders of Cherno.

I would love to see a complete Chernarus that expands on the South Zagoria region, but that would have to be at least five times larger than A2 Chernarus, which is probably asking too much from the engine in terms of size and an acceptable level of detail.

As for the above video with the snow terrain, could it be Namalsk for DayZ? There are some articles and videos claiming that Namalsk will be the first community-created terrain for the game, but there doesn't seem to be any official word on it yet, unless I've missed something. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gilatar said:

I would love to see a complete Chernarus that expands on the South Zagoria region, but that would have to be at least five times larger than A2 Chernarus, which is probably asking too much from the engine in terms of size and an acceptable level of detail.

As for the above video with the snow terrain, could it be Namalsk for DayZ? There are some articles and videos claiming that Namalsk will be the first community-created terrain for the game, but there doesn't seem to be any official word on it yet, unless I've missed something. 

It's likely that it is Namalsk. It's confirmed now, you just missed it ;) The summer areas I don't know. Could be Namalsk, new terrain or Chernarus + with a lot of changes.
There seems to be a large mountain in the backdrop. That doesn't exist in current Chernarus +

On 4/9/2018 at 10:45 AM, andersson said:

So yes I agree, functional AI and environment is of the highest importance. 99% of my time is in usermade missions with RHS assets. I just wish I could spend that 1% listening to Kozlovski :)

Try the Tanks and Laws of War campaigns, though. It seems like BIS have picked up some slack in the last DLCs. I hope that the writing team for those will be retained for ArmA4. If so, we can hope for a good story this time around, especially if they keep the civilians in mind.

I'm really excited that they're looking to expand the soldiers' emotions. IMO, a big problem was, for a long time, a limited amount of unscripted animations and facial expressions, making the NPCs look wooden. Hopefully this focus will also result in a better selection of character models (or even just a female body...). 

• Like 2

On 4/9/2018 at 4:45 AM, andersson said:

Nothing beats a good main story. The problem is I havnt seen one since opf and resistance.

I dunno, I kinda liked ArmA 2's campaign.

Yeah, Arma 2s campaign was actually quite good as well, if you could see past all the bugs, and the horrible high command missions at the end of the campaign.

• Like 1

I really hope that Arma 4 will be in the modern setting. No more futuristic crap, sorry for being rude. I'd like to see AKs vs M16s/M4s, T72s vs Abrams, you know what I mean. The real weapons and vehicles, not those futuristic mutants. As for the WW2, I think it's better to implement all the features of the modern military, as it was already mentioned, since it's easier to disable them later in WW2 and other old stuff. 

I also would like to see an improvement in bullet physics, just like it is implemented in the VTN mod, where the bullets penetrate doors, thin metal, utility poles, bodies, etc and their trajectory and speed alter significantly when they go through those obstacles. Not like the vanilla where a 5.56 cannot penetrate a street sign. Other things to improve are indoor movement, vehicle physics, vehicle damage model and visuals.

Also, it would be great to see the bullet hit effects like falling, like it's implemented in GTA4, when you shoot someone running he will fall in most cases.

One of the major things to improve is the AI, especially it's ability to see through the tall grass and bushes. That really kills the immersion and makes good stealth scenarios impossible. Also it's weird when you silentry take one guy in a squad and others don't see and hear it, they still know that one of them is down. 

• Like 1

^ Yeah #MeToo ;)

I don't usually do the prepurchase/early access thing with games, but ArmA is an exception to that. I've never regretted it.

• Like 4