devildog

Arma 4 a look to the future

I literally jumped out of my chair when Tanoa's Georgetown was unveiled... Know why?

FUCKING TALL BUILDINGS! So, this should be a consideration I think for BIS' next game, but personally I'm entirely content with A3 being a long-term platform. When the time comes for another sequel, it better be big and huge (yep, bigger than Altis)!

Unfortunately to you all, many games in the past 2 years have featured a previous era. I truly believe ArmA is one to be set in the current or near current (2000s), and lest we forget that the ArmA series is entirely modifiable, A-Z. I second other posters here that we need more engine-related things like wetting of objects in the rain and interactive weather, possibly a new movement system so it doesn't feel like the character is playing double VR.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2017 at 3:23 AM, semiconductor said:

Ok, apparently everybody just beats around the bush pathetically begging for imaginary 3D models mildly resembling ugly dysfunctional females instead of mustering up the courage and saying the right thing.

Late 50s - late 70s the is supermost bestest era with interesting political developments between two blossoming ideas of human society represented by two young superpowers, whose bold sons were courageously operating the most interesting and aesthetically pleasing weapons and machines (and furniture!) that was the pinnacle of our species ingenuity. It was virtually the only time period worth living in and those of us who were born after December 31st, 1979 or died before January 1st, 1955 have lost the game before it even started. I know it, you know it and pretty much the whole world knows it.

Think about it! Cuba, Africa, Siberia, China and even Europe if you really want to play it safe — all those fresh and unexplored settings that allow unlimited possibilities for "cold went hot" scenarios. Tanks that are actual starships instead of beaten down Abramses and T's! Proper assault weapons made of steel, heavy as a freight train, loud as a nuclear explosion firing proper battle ammunition instead of contemporary silenced plastic crap firing pathetic lightweight small-sized high-velocity pellets issued to that pussified softie that passes for a "soldier" today! True clash of unprecedented ideologies for the future of a humankind with potential post-apocalyptic follow-up instead of usual unintelligible "hurr durr we marines urrr came to save those irrelevant people from minuscule internal conflict OH HERE COME RUSSKIES AND START COMMITTING WAR CRIMES FOR ABSOLUTE NO REASON AT ALL THOSE MEANIES WE'RE GONNA SAVE THE WORLD BECAUSE OF... UH... democracy and uh... hmmm... human rights I guess?... eh... well... 'cus we're good guys... probably... I think... hmmm... <thinking-face-emoji>"!

There. I've said it. Thank you, thank you, no need for exaltation, I just did what any sane person who happens to be an armaholic would do in my place.

interesting comment but totally factually incorrect for the "bestest" era and interesting political developments with really only two main players and thats what I would call umm totally boring .

Besides the cold war has already been done before with operation flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (2001), Resistance (2002), Red Hammer (2002), Dragon Rising (2009), and Armed Assault.  Something new is needed.

Looking back in the 30s and forties,  Germany was overtaken by Nazis and invaded europe and every invaded European country they had to defend themselves against them.  Even those not part of land based Europe. England came under siege and blockade from Germany and faces starvation, Germany also was developing a nuclear weapon with an eye to strike on new york in 1946.  Russia was in revolution and was invaded by Germany after making a peace treaty with them. India was in turmoil seeking independence from the British yet they still fought against the axis powers and the Japanese captured and turned the Indian's against their own people.  If it wasn't for the Indian soldiers we would have either lost the north african campaign or it would have taken years longer and the axis germans would have met up with the japanese in India.     Indian army ww2 bbc doco     the japanese had invaded korea and china at manchuria and forced a second war with china but this time they were getting their asses kicked.  Japan's supplies of rubber, iron, and oil were pushed to the breaking point, and it didn't have any allies in the region. An attack on a U.S. gunboat on the Yangtze River alienated the U.S., as did widespread Japanese atrocities against the Chinese civilian population. Eventually, this led to embargoes on trade with Japan. So the Japanese lead simultaneous attacks on Pearl Harbor, Singapore, Hong Kong, the Philippines, and Malaya to stall an allies response.  Then Americans came into the war 3 years after it started.  The Japanese didn't want the Americans or the British to resist the Japanese scramble for rubber and oil.  So one of the main reasons Japan entered the war was over oil and resources. sound familiar.  The Italians were in fascism and linking with the Nazis as rouge power state allies and in Africa Bedouin tribes were fighting each other and the British and sided with both the Germans and the British. Denmark was invaded and fought with the Germans in aircraft and Norway was also invaded.  The rest of the major commonwealth countries, Canada, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand were also fighting on three different theatres of war at least.   So if that's not enough for a new Arma 4  with a wide range of new maps and terrain from europe to pacific to desert I dont know.  Quite frankly im tired and bored stiff of Americans fighting Russians and spetznaz, really fair suck of the sav  (slang for its over done)

So what you need is a fresh approach, new scenario ideas in different conflict situations instead of rehashed DLC's that throw in 3 or 4 new vehicles and some different uniforms but basically done for getting cash and not worth thinking about.  DLC Jets, REAlly???  This new approach is what an arma with WW2 will give  you, something different.  You might not want to admit it now, but later  you will love it.  Not everyone needs a .50cal Barrett to make their day.

Not to mention the never ending stream of "terrorist" scenarios terrorists with bombs, terrorists wearing bombs, terrorists with car bombs , terrorist IUD's.  borrrrring.... So Bistudio,  Arma 4 WW2 this is a vision to build on.

5 hours ago, devildog said:

Besides the cold war has already been done before with operation flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (2001), Resistance (2002), Red Hammer (2002), Dragon Rising (2009), and Armed Assault. 

Ugh, spot the intruder :face_palm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Hopefully, regardless of the setting and timeline, future terrains will fully support the four seasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil Organ said:

Hopefully, regardless of the setting and timeline, future terrains will fully support the four seasons. 

And flowing creeks :f:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, warlord554 said:

And flowing creeks :f:

Call me superficial but improved water handling (wet surfaces, proper ponds, flowing water) is just about top of my Wishlist for A4. Along with proper dynamic lighting/shadowing and improved animations. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Oh and I also hope that water movement could be changed too, like the waves pushing the player and maybe even the player ragdolling if he falls down on high steep hills.

for now the swimming is so slow like I'm sure every army has basic swimming training! 

I cant wait to see the new ragdolls. I would love to see the fluidity of it such as dying, falling and getting hit by a car.  Maybe I'm asking a bit too much :P

im liking all those water stuff. Waters currently are just a big blob of uselessness if you don't have a diving suit or boat.

Adding to the water stuff, we need more rivers, bridges and some bridge laying vehicles.

My biggest wish is for some bigger maps, more suitable for planes and long range tank engagements.

Russian steppes, American plains, northern Germany sound quite suitable for that, allowing for some winter maps as well.

Add a large scale USA/Russia conflict with campaigns for both sides and no clear good/bad side. Maybe as a dynamic Campaign

Add more emphasis on the supply chain of the armies, perhaps some missions where you need to break through enemy lines and wreak havok destroying the food/fuel/munitions supply.

Chemical weapons would play a large role in such a conflict, often just as an area denial mechanism. And some tactical nukes as well while were at it.

Ill stop here, otherwise I will end up wishing for a fully operational deathstar.

For gameplay with MP in mind I still think, like I did years ago,  that the 70's are a perfect era. the time frames gives you equipment closse to WW2 but more high tech stuff is already availablwe in small numbers. Night vision is there, but no thermal imaging, but most technical vision enhancement solutions are not wearables. Guided missiles are available for Helicopters and man portable but they are unreliable and rare. Combat would be mostly "handmade" not the way it turned out in ArmA 3 when it comes to the point that lots of player use drones and basically use virtual computer consoles, automated guns and artillery and guided missiles as a tool for combat. the conflicat on the other hand can be complety contructed, using fictional opponents... there is no need for reenacting real wars in open world games, that's mostly out of scale anyways.

• Like 1

Personally I'd like to see a game in the 50s to 80s, an alternate history war between NATO and the USSR. World in Conflict comes to mind with the Russians invading the US through Seattle. Unrealistic, yes, but cool as fuck with many possible scenarios.

Either that or the current 'cold war' in Europe between NATO and CSTO. Regardless, I just desperately hope we don't get another generic Afghanistan / Middle Eastern war with technologically superior Western forces shooting at insurgents.

I really hope for a cold war setting. Weapons like M16A2s, AK-74s, L1A1s, M60s, M1s, T-80s, F-14s, and such would be splendid, possibly with a French or German setting. US and some European forces could make up BLUFOR, with the Soviet Union and the Warsaw pact making up OPFOR. Resistance fighters and such could comprise the independent side.

EDIT: one last thing, engine changes that let modders modify models (woo alliteration) and animations. There's licenses in place to stop people from porting source material to other games already.

Top 15

1. Cold War European Setting (Most important; you could just take ArmA 3 with all the DLC, make a new Cold War campaign, terrain, and units and I would buy it. No engine improvements necessary)
  2. Ability to have water at multiple elevations (possibly using a water DEM)
  3. Below ground or in ground structures so we can have bunkers, trenches, fox holes, mortar pits, etc.
  4. AI has a better understanding of small spaces and won't get stuck and refuse to move through them
  5. Higher number of surfaces per terrain/tile
  6. Higher resolution DEM or TIN so we can have proper ditches
  7. Better CQB combat
  8. Grass is drawn and makes a difference further out
  9. Give me back my damn grenade strength throw mechanic!!!!!
  10. AI has the same abilities as players (can step over things, use more stances, revive players when applicable)
  11. Some kind of high command that AI can use to coordinate including knowing where high value objectives are (hills, fields of fire, etc.) and being able to call in various types of support intelligently
  12. A campaign that is a remake of both Resistance and CWC but more realistic OR something better
  13. Seasons (not that important but it would be cool)
  14. Improved modding tools (especially terrain tools)
  15. Bring back the old round parachutes. I hate seeing mass air drops and/or downed pilots with the rectangular ones. It just looks wrong. You can keep the rectangular ones for Special Forces but I want the ability to use the round ones in the base game.
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, jakerod said:

Seasons

It would be cool to have persistent missions that change with the seasons.

• Thanks 1

I know this ain't a popular timeline but I would love a really high tech Arma, maybe 2070-2100 (assuming certain morons don't nuke each other). Of course I would prefer they make two games :P to continue with the traditional conflicts and another one where they let their creativity free. Sadly with A3 they made this Frankenstein of weird choices that it probably didn't actually pleased either of the camps, the traditionalists that wanted classic scenarios or the high tech camp(railgun tank we still miss you).

Of course not go overboard with Star Wars/Jar Jar friggin' Binks stuff but something like sci fi near future  and still relatable somehow. Big on transhumanism, unregulated tech advancement and something like William Gibson universe or Syndicate/Deus Ex/Gits in Arma sandbox or "what happens when lobbying gets so worse that governments are powerless".

Corporate wars, different mech augs for your soldiers depending who's your employer, more diverse gameplay with hacking having a bigger role (which is funny because these days it already has a big role in a conflict), drones, exo suits and especially the ground and air units in Arma engine. Maps could be a mix of forest/mountains and cities, but with more taller buildings like in Tanoa.

Also, people wouldn't complain anymore about the guy with the AK popping them between the eyes from 400m because now Vrana or ION bought him a 50k bionic eye. :hehe:

Another thing, in the past BI has been pretty good by not making you the most pimp chosen one/savior of the world like 99% of games, basically you were just a tiny cog in this huge conflict. Your virtual life was at risk one wrong step anytime to collide with a bullet and no one would have given a crap, but lately this suspension of disbelief doesn't work for me anymore.

Especially when you see two gigantic factions like CSAT vs NATO and you see 2 tanks,5 trucks and maybe 30-40 guys fighting. Reminds me of some scenes in Rpgs(games, not the fun toy) where the king addresses the huge crowd or an army goes to war and they're actually 7 guys.

So I would prefer they concentrate on smaller scale conflicts that could still have big consequences in the larger game like the Black Gauntlet campaign in Arma 2 PMC dlc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FireWalker said:

It would be cool to have persistent missions that change with the seasons.

I wouldn't mind this but how long are you planning on playing for? If you sped up time for that to make a difference then days would last an hour. I suppose maybe an MP server with a persistent mission could handle that with or without time being sped up. Not sure how frequently they need to be restarted or how draining missions are though.

i cant believe you guys, all  you can think about is russia vs america in the cold war, over and over again.  think outside the box.  Its been done before.  youve been playing it with BI so long  you dont know any different.  The axis and allies armies, navies and air forces lend enough to be able to develop a full new arma4.  Get a new vision for a  change.  Arma is just tired now, over done and and just grasping for ideas for dlc's that only bring in a few different vehicles that are already in the game.  I mean really ??

The fact that zombies  have taken it over says it all.

Having arma4 set in WW2 in this way something new and refreshing would be done.  Sure, maps for all seasons would be great.

1 hour ago, devildog said:

i cant believe you guys, all  you can think about is russia vs america in the cold war, over and over again.

That's a good point. We don't need more Russia vs America. Let's go for West Germany vs East Germany this time or Poland vs The Netherlands. Maybe even the British vs Czechoslovakia. Or Norway vs the Soviets. Get some different nations going in the Cold War.

think outside the box.  Its been done before

Because World War II hasn't?

something new and refreshing would be done

The Cold War would be new and refreshing. We haven't had a Cold War game from BI in 15 years. I think it's about time it comes back.

• Thanks 1

Give me a procedural world that allows modifications and tremendous numbers of players to be on a server. Lets say numbers in the 100+ range and then honestly the world will be your oyster! Just think of the modded possibilities that we could all have. Not just terrains but entire worlds could come alive. We could have all out war or just low intensity regional conflicts with semi-realistic flight times, etc... Just imagine the possibility of it all. You could do anything from Napleonic wars to futuristic and even ancient wars...again the canvas is bare and we just have to see what they can give us and hopefully they are reading these types of posts.

Please no procedural worlds, where AI cannot be persistent. There are Gazillions of MMO/MP only games, pick one of them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ProfTournesol said:

Please no procedural worlds, where AI cannot be persistent. There are Gazillions of MMO/MP only games, pick one of them. 

Why couldn't AI be persistent? I'm not the original poster but I wouldn't mind a procedural world. Probably not a full world. Just 100km x 100km world created procedurally whenever you choose a new seed for a random number. That number (or numbers) gets added into missions to load that world and can be saved if you ever want to go back to it. I highly doubt they would do this but I wouldn't mind if they did. I wouldn't feel as compelled to make maps and if it was a Cold War game I could just sit back and enjoy.

Well as long as the game isn't player centric and AI is persistent and can live his own life far from player's view, that's ok for me.

On 10/7/2017 at 9:32 PM, Hamakaze said:

Not trying to rain on your parade here but i think that if an ArmA 4 is going to happen then BI already have an idea for the setting and are looking towards initial planning... Not to say WW2 is ruled out completely but i just dont think its likely in my mind...

well another american vs russian conflict or desert conflict to drain my already bored senses.  You know they have hit rock bottom when they are selling off maps of arma.

Get some life into it and go into the ww2 area.

Iron front was a good idea but was poorly executed with many bugs and it needed multiple things to make it work.  Why cant they actually bring out a game that doesnt need a zillion mods to actually work  !!!!

Call of duty is doing well with its new ww2 installment, I think a WW2 installment of arma 4 would be excellent.

1 minute ago, devildog said:

well another american vs russian conflict or desert conflict to drain my already bored senses.  You know they have hit rock bottom when they are selling off maps of arma.

Get some life into it and go into the ww2 area.

Iron front was a good idea but was poorly executed with many bugs and it needed multiple things to make it work.  Why cant they actually bring out a game that doesnt need a zillion mods to actually work  !!!!

Call of duty is doing well with its new ww2 installment, I think a WW2 installment of arma 4 would be excellent.

If there was a WW2 installment then we all know it'd take place in 1944-45, would only focus on the US out of all the allies and would probably take place in Normandy / France... So i'd rather not be shackled with WW2...

There is still people wanting WW2 gaming,

a new game BATTALION 1944 is in early access and people cant wait to get it

then of course COD WW2 version, not the same as arma 4 but thats why you should do it as it would be so much better and totally rule over everyone.

Dont give up on this we need Arma4 in WW2 theatres.. european, russian, middle east, in the jungles of the pacific and asia.

Bad idea. You can well play the WW2 game well, in the existing content. The reverse order would be heavier.

I will not think of buying Arma4 if it's only about WW2.

Good games about WW2 a lot. Modern events are more interesting.

• Like 1