devildog

Arma 4 a look to the future

Given in the past we had operation flashpoint and  armed assault on the cold war,  then arma 2 on modern warfare and then arma 3 for more modern than that or futuristic warfare machines and gear so its gone as far as it can go in that way.  We saw how successful commercially and mod wise a simple zombie map idea from operation flashpoint came to become a genre.  Then in arma 2 we also so how successful the 1944 mod was and how virtual communities sprung up around it as the popularity of ww2 is still there and now COD brings out there next version of  WW2  when their own COD 2 version is still popular.

So what im suggesting is that I would like to see Arma 4 go back retro and have an arma for World War 2. with all it contains.  Some of the bugs from the 1944 mod can be ironed out and all vehicles can be made workable and realistic.  A world war would include soldiers from the allies british american french australian russian indian polish and also  french resistance etc, and the axis of german,  japanese, italian etc.  The market is there, its financially viable and the player base is there.  So just as arma started at the cold war, now we step back to the beginning of the second world war.

It would also bring maps to use in all terrain, forests, jungle, open plain, and desert warfare.

Even being ww2 aircraft carriers can be used in the atlantic and the pacific, german, american, british, canadian, .  German and American, british and allied paratroopers.  All other major and minor armies.  All the rest of any ww2 major engagements can be used, and realistic maps can be created and not worry about offending current day countries as its history so accuracy is the key. 

Aircraft from America, uk, russia japan just to start will keep things busy.

So I put it out there to the arma team, are you up to the challenge as i know the gaming community has been waiting for this since the collapse of the  2 x ww2 mods that were created in arma but the stopped to the teams unable to continue but I know that you can do this.  And as much as i hate zombies, as but people would love nazi zombies to kill in arma.   But going back to having a military realism group in ww2 supported by an official arma 4  for ww2 would be totally awesome.

I want to see conquerer, tiger, and sherman tanks ,  german bombers, b17's and lancasters, spitfires, and me 109's  mustangs and me 262's ,   parachute drops and  ai banzia charges (done in another ww2 mod.)  get back to basics and yet that can be fun to.

something new and exciting for arma if its fully supported.

Instead of  having, iron front mod and faces of war mod together or invasion 1944 mod or hell in the pacific mod.. 4 different ww2 mods, doesnt that tell you that people really want this sort of play that they make the ,mods themselves.

IN the 1944 mod 82nd Airborne arma 2 version their  domination servers were always full  while other arma  servers were empty or playing zombies.  people love this ww2 stuff so how about it ?  :)

With all the vehicles , soldiers and aircraft from the axis and allied powers there is more than enough to make an arma for it , and also DLC's for various theatres so its also financially viable !!!!

Disclaimer: The below vids are just examples and are in no way there for recruiting for any units

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Not trying to rain on your parade here but i think that if an ArmA 4 is going to happen then BI already have an idea for the setting and are looking towards initial planning... Not to say WW2 is ruled out completely but i just dont think its likely in my mind...

• Like 2

I see next ARMA as an engine evolution able to cover larger terrains. What era to put there is a completely different thing and I would keep the sandbox architecture that make ARMA what it is now, letting communities to populate with whatever army generation they want, from Napoleon to StarWars :)

• Like 3

I think its a bit early to be talking about ARMA4 but no harm in talkin right...?

It would be great for A4 to cover ALL the eras of 20th to 22nd century and possibly beyond.

This would allow for any historical conflict and scenarios of complete asymmetry.  Imagine WWII soldiers fighting against a smaller group of current forces for example.

I don't think that each era needs loads of weapon variants and many have already been created.

• Like 1

I really hope that Arma4 will expand Arma3 and its setting, means adding new maps, factions and features but keeping the stuff from A3 and not starting completely from scratch again with one map  and 4 factions and a new setting. 

A WW II game could be an extra franchise maybe by coorperating with teams like FoW :)

• Like 7

I wouldn't be horribly upset to see it continue on the same lines as right now. Though I love playing the earlier eras, its kinda fun having the high tech weapons.

But then again, there's never been a truly ground breaking version of Vietnam  either, right?

• Like 2

@Private Evans: I like this idea.

Although I have a different fantasy vision for Arma4 : I wish BIS would explore something truly different and futuristic, a scifi setting that could accomodate the lack of immersion in Arma. You know, the shitty animations, weird behaviours and robotic voices.

I would love to see automatas/robots/androids armies lead by a human commander (the players) in a completely devastated world where the absence of furnitures, er, I mean civilians would be the normal result of centuries of war.

• Like 3

Bigger maps, more players and current military. 3 was pretty much current military with a few exceptions and I think that plays well with modders able to bring their own vision, as has been said.

Build on the module system so mission makers can create complex missions without scripting. Being able to populate a towns with civilians and the roads with traffic.

I like @Private Evans idea of continuing with storylines and factions.

Making Arma3 assets easily portable would be a BIG thing.

Women. For heavens sake, please include women from day one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, haleks said:

I would love to see automatas/robots/androids armies lead by a human commander (the players) in a completely devastated world where the absence of furnitures, er, I mean civilians would be the normal result of centuries of war.

Indeed, an anti-IKEA robot which killed every women.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The same game with at least modern-standard client performance and improved multiplayer connectivity would be a 10/10 for me.

• Like 4

I would love to see an other setting than in the 2030's. Something between WWII and a hypothetical conflict in our current time (preferably Korea crisis). Or "back to the roots" with NATO vs. Russia (today's Crim crisis or so). :eyeheart:

• Like 1

Ok, apparently everybody just beats around the bush pathetically begging for imaginary 3D models mildly resembling ugly dysfunctional females instead of mustering up the courage and saying the right thing.

Late 50s - late 70s the is supermost bestest era with interesting political developments between two blossoming ideas of human society represented by two young superpowers, whose bold sons were courageously operating the most interesting and aesthetically pleasing weapons and machines (and furniture!) that was the pinnacle of our species ingenuity. It was virtually the only time period worth living in and those of us who were born after December 31st, 1979 or died before January 1st, 1955 have lost the game before it even started. I know it, you know it and pretty much the whole world knows it.

Think about it! Cuba, Africa, Siberia, China and even Europe if you really want to play it safe — all those fresh and unexplored settings that allow unlimited possibilities for "cold went hot" scenarios. Tanks that are actual starships instead of beaten down Abramses and T's! Proper assault weapons made of steel, heavy as a freight train, loud as a nuclear explosion firing proper battle ammunition instead of contemporary silenced plastic crap firing pathetic lightweight small-sized high-velocity pellets issued to that pussified softie that passes for a "soldier" today! True clash of unprecedented ideologies for the future of a humankind with potential post-apocalyptic follow-up instead of usual unintelligible "hurr durr we marines urrr came to save those irrelevant people from minuscule internal conflict OH HERE COME RUSSKIES AND START COMMITTING WAR CRIMES FOR ABSOLUTE NO REASON AT ALL THOSE MEANIES WE'RE GONNA SAVE THE WORLD BECAUSE OF... UH... democracy and uh... hmmm... human rights I guess?... eh... well... 'cus we're good guys... probably... I think... hmmm... <thinking-face-emoji>"!

There. I've said it. Thank you, thank you, no need for exaltation, I just did what any sane person who happens to be an armaholic would do in my place.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think it would be cool if BI does WW2 like the OP said, But considering Bohemia is quite big I think they have layed the framework like what Hamakaze said. Having all those plans and stuff like that.

What I really hope to see in Arma 4 are melee, Better animations, Climbing. Basically improving mobility of infantries :D 

In terms of story I sincerely hope it would not be poppy farmers with accuracy comparable to meatloaf decides to attack the U.S (Come on we all know what will happen :P)                                       

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2017 at 10:40 PM, FireWalker said:

But then again, there's never been a truly ground breaking version of Vietnam  either, right?

vietnam never had the scope of weapons that other eras had as the viet cong were just a mercinary civil war civilian army with no real weapons.

Thats why vietnam and korean games have always been a failure except for falcon 4.0 in korea, that was a hit due to the fact that it was such a ground breaking flight sim  at the time.

But full on axis and allies armies navies and airforces are the way to go .  depth and variety

To be honest..if it will be possible to use mods like FoW ( WWII), RHS (Modern Warfare), Unsung (Vietnam), OPTRE ( Halo) in Arma 4, there is no need for BI covering those settings ..it can't be done much better beside providing a proper SP campaign maybe. The  new tech will for sure allow melee combat so that also mods like W40k,  Delta Hawks 1724 mod or Blood Trench (WW I) can show their full potential. 

For Arma 4 I imagine a Northern Europe setting ( Scandinavia/Baltic States) maybe including a winter version and bringing a proper Russian and European Nato faction ( beside the mandatory greenfor and rebels). I think that would expand the Arma 3  setting nicely :). The expansion then could take place in the Middle East/ Africa......one can dream.

The most important thing is to find a way that current mod and game content can be used  somehow in the future...not really making a new game but upgrading the Arma plattform :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It would be nice to get a fully developed winter map, assets, and winter weather system.  Can you imagine if snow fall could actually slowly cover the landscape?  <--  pipe dream about that last part, I'm sure

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would welcome beside that dirt shaders. And i totally agree with semiconductor!!! There are few mods i await more than the old-school creations. Also i would welcome some kind o manageble (frames!) mass battels.

On 07/10/2017 at 7:32 AM, devildog said:

-snip-

As we don't have an Arma 4 section this thread has been moved to an more appropriate place. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2017 at 10:25 PM, Private Evans said:

To be honest..if it will be possible to use mods like FoW ( WWII), RHS (Modern Warfare), Unsung (Vietnam), OPTRE ( Halo) in Arma 4, there is no need for BI covering those settings ..it can't be done much better beside providing a proper SP campaign maybe.

Thats  the whole point to get rid of the mods and put them all on one new arma  for ww2 and have different dlc's for different theatres.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:45 PM, haleks said:

@Private Evans: I like this idea.

Although I have a different fantasy vision for Arma4 : I wish BIS would explore something truly different and futuristic, a scifi setting that could accomodate the lack of immersion in Arma. You know, the shitty animations, weird behaviours and robotic voices.

if you want that then get elite dangerous or star citizen

On 10/7/2017 at 9:46 PM, Abburo said:

I see next ARMA as an engine evolution able to cover larger terrains. What era to put there is a completely different thing and I would keep the sandbox architecture that make ARMA what it is now, letting communities to populate with whatever army generation they want, from Napoleon to StarWars :)

you can do mods for napolionic era as soldiers and cannons and horses are simple to do, like mount and blade,  and not have the complexity of ww2 .

this is where many new types of maps could be created and bombed out cities like in battlefield 1942.

An arma version of Battlefield 1942 would be just awesome with the maps to go w ith it

I would say going retro would be a first step to go ww2 first then later ww1.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2017 at 5:23 PM, semiconductor said:

Ok, apparently everybody just beats around the bush pathetically begging for imaginary 3D models mildly resembling ugly dysfunctional females instead of mustering up the courage and saying the right thing.

Late 50s - late 70s the is supermost bestest era with interesting political developments between two blossoming ideas of human society represented by two young superpowers, whose bold sons were courageously operating the most interesting and aesthetically pleasing weapons and machines (and furniture!) that was the pinnacle of our species ingenuity. It was virtually the only time period worth living in and those of us who were born after December 31st, 1979 or died before January 1st, 1955 have lost the game before it even started. I know it, you know it and pretty much the whole world knows it.

Think about it! Cuba, Africa, Siberia, China and even Europe if you really want to play it safe — all those fresh and unexplored settings that allow unlimited possibilities for "cold went hot" scenarios. Tanks that are actual starships instead of beaten down Abramses and T's! Proper assault weapons made of steel, heavy as a freight train, loud as a nuclear explosion firing proper battle ammunition instead of contemporary silenced plastic crap firing pathetic lightweight small-sized high-velocity pellets issued to that pussified softie that passes for a "soldier" today! True clash of unprecedented ideologies for the future of a humankind with potential post-apocalyptic follow-up instead of usual unintelligible "hurr durr we marines urrr came to save those irrelevant people from minuscule internal conflict OH HERE COME RUSSKIES AND START COMMITTING WAR CRIMES FOR ABSOLUTE NO REASON AT ALL THOSE MEANIES WE'RE GONNA SAVE THE WORLD BECAUSE OF... UH... democracy and uh... hmmm... human rights I guess?... eh... well... 'cus we're good guys... probably... I think... hmmm... <thinking-face-emoji>"!

There. I've said it. Thank you, thank you, no need for exaltation, I just did what any sane person who happens to be an armaholic would do in my place.

Great post :) I agree, this era is the best gameplay-wise.

My guess is that BIS will still continue to pursue its current course because it likes to incorporate new ideas & technology. There is not much to do with thermal visualisation in a 50's-70's scenario, likewise with remote devices (drones etc) and other techs.

For my part, I should like to see variance among individual maps, so one map could be set to be snowy rather than summery, flooded, overgrown, populated, abandoned, pristine, disheveled etc. Every building not only enterable but procedurally  populated with items. I'd also like to see the improvement of AI, not to make them simply more difficult (can be done by the simple mechanic of increasing their spotting/aiming etc) but give them a more human spread of ability. Myself I'm happy to see AI do occasionally dumb stuff because that's what I see when I see human players :/

But I'd like them to be able to self-organise a little too, not endlessly stream through the same bottleneck over & over despite the obvious number of bodies lying around, but to occasionally try some other other tactic like simply waiting, or deciding that target is not worth the expenditure. Or to organise a sensible building search with sensible tactics. All these with varying levels of competence. When I see a unit go down at a distance, I want to be unsure if he died, or dove down, or was wounded. I want to walk into a scenario where I can tell by looking around what must have happened, blood, shells and holes revealing a story.

So for me it's environmental and emergent rather than equipment-specific I guess.

• Like 1