Sign in to follow this  
johan_92

Learning Scripting

Hi everybody , so .. i'm trying to learn .sqf Scripting syntax since something like 3 days . I'm using the Fockers ArmA Scripting guide where there is the basic information about Programming. Actually i have been learned Java during school so i know the basic things like method,function,class variables casting ecc... so it's not that hard learn another language

The problem is how can i improve better my Scripting cause i don't know what do with what i have been learned 

• Like 1

Learning SQF is quite different from learning Java or any other more structured language. Anyway, just think of a mission you want to create for arma and then use code instead of editor placed objects. Some isolated tasks that should help you get started to get some building blocks for a larger mission:

1. Have a AI squad enter a vehicle, AI drive to a certain waypoint, drop off the squad
  2. Several AI squad meet at a rally point and drive an attack from there, taking different routes
  3. Repair/Inspection of vehicle at a FARP. Use some AI to walk to a vehicle, use inspect and repair compatible animations at the vehicle

Good luck,

TeTeT

On 06/10/2017 at 7:27 PM, johan_92 said:

The problem is how can i improve better my Scripting cause i don't know what do with what i have been learned 

Create scenarios, as many as you can. Not for other people to play, just for you to try out ideas.

I have tons of them : one where you play a mutant à la X-men (teleportation, mind control and shit), another one with a radio station system to broadcast synchronized sounds and musics across the terrain (harder than you would think), a proof concept for endless battles involving little units but many respawns and ambiant sounds etc... I even had one simulating an exploration trip on a barren planet.

Just don't be afraid to invest time in those, that's how you will familiarize yourself with the limits and traps of Arma. You might not see a pratictal application everytime, but it will come in handy at some point if you keep on modding/creating scenarios.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, haleks said:

... another one with a radio station system to broadcast synchronized sounds and musics across the terrain (harder than you would think), ...

If you have something like that, highly interested in it :) The only idea I had for this so far was to create dozens of objects, use say3D remotely executed on all clients at the same time and then move the objects to wherever they need to go... There has to be a better way!

1 hour ago, TeTeT said:

If you have something like that, highly interested in it :) The only idea I had for this so far was to create dozens of objects, use say3D remotely executed on all clients at the same time and then move the objects to wherever they need to go... There has to be a better way!

Yeah, the problem with say3D is that it will pause the sound being played when it's out of range, wich is going to cause issues for long audio files, since the various audio sources will be out of sync as the player moves around. PlaySound3D works best for static objects, but I have yet to find a proper solution for moving objects. :/

I'll clean up the test mission and send you what I have so far.