micilo

[meta] Results from a small survey inside the community

Hello guys

It’s been some time since I last posted. My previous topic could be find here.

Long story short, I’m researching Arma’s modding community and submitted a survey here last year. I owe you some results I promised. So that’s why I’m posting. This is a loosely sample of dozens answers received. Thank you very much!

My research is still going on, so I won’t publish all findings yet. Some of you that left an e-mail contact might be asked for a further interview, since this a qualitative study.

Why did you take so long to post? Why are your study so slow?

Well, basically I’m a PhD researcher in Brazil and was developing an internship in Finland this year. Normally a doctoral thesis takes a long time, so actually this is somehow a standard length study.

Now, let’s have a look (you can click on the images links to see some details)

1. How old are you?

WpR0WCk.png

2. In which country do you live?

rlA9Fhv.png

3.What is you gender?

PrKyMRj.png

4.What is the highest degree you completed?

tv9s0rd.png

5.For how long have you played modded games?

fVgZPVv.png

6.Do you play "total" modifications or conversions?

XAMNQAH.png

7.Have you ever modded any game before?

peHPDcH.png

8.How much time do you actually spend making mods?

AQLs2Fh.png

9.Do you usually make mods in cooperation (in partnerships or groups) or by yourself?

fkMuU7v.png

Edited by micilo
images were broken
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Why have you put the Masters and MBA qualification separate? Especially since an MBA is a Masters in Business Administration. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

Why have you put the Masters and MBA qualification separate? Especially since an MBA is a Masters in Business Administration. 

In my country a MBA does not have a "master" qualification. Instead, a MBA is a extension of your graduation.

I have a MBA in software engineering, but I am not a master in software engineering.

12 minutes ago, jacobs said:

In my country a MBA does not have a "master" qualification. Instead, a MBA is a extension of your graduation.

I have a MBA in software engineering, but I am not a master in software engineering.

Oh, i wasn't aware of that. Here in the UK it is a Master qualification. Its interesting know that they have a different weighting in different countries. 

Very interesting.  I've always been curious about the age range of modders for this community.  Do you have anymore plans for future surveys?

6 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

Yes, Masters and MBA are related, but in fact MBA is a subgenre of the former and tends to be more market oriented. Of course, different countries adopt varied denominations. Indeed, there are lots of definitions within this category.

Nevertheless, the question was designed to have some insights if modders follow some academic career or professional postgraduate studies.

2 minutes ago, Delta Hawk said:

Very interesting.  I've always been curious about the age range of modders for this community.  Do you have anymore plans for future surveys?

Nice to read your feedback. First I need to finish my interviews and analysis. Later, maybe we can expand the survey to better understand the relations between casual players and modders.

43 minutes ago, micilo said:

Later, maybe we can expand the survey to better understand the relations between casual players and modders.

I find this definition a bit misleading.

There are casual gamers who do tons of modding effort, and hardcore/milsim gamers who have hardly touched a script.

Other then that, damn fine effort! Interesting little insight indeed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bars91 said:

I find this definition a bit misleading.

There are casual gamers who do tons of modding effort, and hardcore/milsim gamers who have hardly touched a script.

Other then that, damn fine effort! Interesting little insight indeed.

Precisely. However I don't mean these practices are opposite. When I stated that the current research could lead to another I try to point for relations within the community.

• Like 1