ravenleg

Images produced with screenshot script command are overexposed/blown out/low contrast

I'm trying to take some screenshots with the screenshot script command and they all come out looking overexposed/blown-out or just have really low contrast compared to what I actually see on my screen.

For example, the two images on the left are screenshots taken with Steam and show what I actually see, and the two on the right are the product of the screenshot command.

Is there some in-game camera setting I need to adjust or something?

screenshots.png

My guess is that the command does not include user-side color adjustments.

According to the wiki it does include ppeffects though, so you could use those to adjust the generated images beforehand.

Or simply use a bulk processing tool to adjust all the saved images afterwards.

I'd normally suggest getting Adobe Bridge (which is free), it includes a very useful tool called "Camera Raw" that can very easily apply all sorts of corrections to a large quantity of files in one go. However, it doesn't support PNG files by default.

what screenshot command are you talking about?

Screenshots produced by the 'screenshot' command (16 bit png) are really overexposed, compared to 'F12' screenshot (8 bit jpg)

I've found that you can correct this by using gamma correction by factor 2.25, for example in MATLAB.

IM_SRC  = imread('screenshot.png');
IM_CORR = imadjust(IM_SRC,[],[],2.25);

arma3_gamma.png