Sign in to follow this  
MedwedianPresident

Possible Chernarus road + province map

BTW, it would be good to make a satellite map as a climate and vegetation reference for mapmakers. I imagine that the western area (Ozernaya and Stolichnaya oblasts) would be a relatively dry plain used for intensive farming, with slightly mediterranean vegetation. The plain would continue westward, maybe eastern Takistan could be an ethnically Chernarussian and Russian area like northern Kazakhstan and ravaged by conflicts between the native Orthodox Christians and the Muslim government. It would slowly turn into a desert westwards.

The southwestern border and capital area would be highly urbanized and more modern than South Zagoria. Hence the motorways.

Oh cool you included Zernovo! I like your map. The roads are much more detailed than mine. I was thinking about resurrecting my Green Sea Expansion project at one point and created a map myself. I think the two ACR terrains are supposed to be north of Miroslavl but I forgot to add them in. I hadn't decided where I wanted Zernovo to be. The grid represents different map sizes that I was thinking about combining into larger ones. The small squares are 3.5km, medium 7km, and large 15km. I also could add 4x 15km ones to make a 30km x 30km. I don't think I will be able to work on it though sadly. But maybe I will keep in mind a spiritual successor to Zernovo. Black lines are the highways with the red one being a new highway connecting Novigrad to Miroslavl.

5NLcjWB.jpg

• Like 3

Two questions:

1. How do you imagine the Chernarus-Takistan and Chernarus-Russian borders? Will there be a wall? A fence? Will it be militarized? Also, I have thought of making  the easternmost part of Takistan ethnically Chernarussian and Russian Orthodox, leading to secession movements or even a possible Chernarussian invasion and occupation of the area.

2. The red one is a divided highway, right?

3.  I imagine that there would be a coastal plain stretching from Novigrad to Miroslavl, used for agriculture.

4. Driving from Novigrad to Chernogorsk would take about 40 minutes to an hour, right? Without the traffic, of course. I imagine that there would be the typical Russian traffic jams everywhere, doubling or even tripling travel times.

6 hours ago, MedwedianPresident said:

Two questions:

1. How do you imagine the Chernarus-Takistan and Chernarus-Russian borders? Will there be a wall? A fence? Will it be militarized? Also, I have thought of making  the easternmost part of Takistan ethnically Chernarussian and Russian Orthodox, leading to secession movements or even a possible Chernarussian invasion and occupation of the area.

2. The red one is a divided highway, right?

3.  I imagine that there would be a coastal plain stretching from Novigrad to Miroslavl, used for agriculture.

4. Driving from Novigrad to Chernogorsk would take about 40 minutes to an hour, right? Without the traffic, of course. I imagine that there would be the typical Russian traffic jams everywhere, doubling or even tripling travel times.

1.) I'll need to check my notes and I will see what else I can dig up. I researched all the ArmA 2 stuff a bit to try to figure out as much as I possibly could.

2.) Yeah divided

3.) I believe it's supposed to be rough hills but I will check the notes

4.) Probably 20 - 30 min. If you look at my map it's about 30km from Novigrad to Miroslavl'. I used this to determine speed limits: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_Ukraine . Please note that the BI map that your map is using as a base doesn't have the correct scale. That's why I made a new one for mine. According to the BI map, South Zagoria (Chernarus terrain) is 40km wide but in "reality" it's only about 15km.

Also Green Sea Region map I was working on. I didn't get too far:

zCVmFsp.jpg

Also: how do you think would the area of Takistan east of Chalang look? I imagine that it would be a steppe slowly turning into farmland, similar to northern Kazakhstan and southern Siberia.

And according to your calculation, travel time from Novigrad to Takmyr would also be around 20 to 30 minutes if there is a motorway, but probably much longer

a.) due to the lack of a motorway

b.) due to even worse traffic jams in Takistan and

c.) due to rigorous border controls that would result in a queue that stretches all the way to behind Novigrad,

as such 2 hours or so in total. What do you think?

4 hours ago, MedwedianPresident said:

Also: how do you think would the area of Takistan east of Chalang look? I imagine that it would be a steppe slowly turning into farmland, similar to northern Kazakhstan and southern Siberia.

And according to your calculation, travel time from Novigrad to Takmyr would also be around 20 to 30 minutes if there is a motorway, but probably much longer

a.) due to the lack of a motorway

b.) due to even worse traffic jams in Takistan and

c.) due to rigorous border controls that would result in a queue that stretches all the way to behind Novigrad,

as such 2 hours or so in total. What do you think?

I pictured the border between Chernarus and Takistan to be steppe going into the deserts of takistan. I don't really know if traffic would be that bad. I kind of picture the size of Novigrad to be 3-4 times the size of Chernagorsk and Miroslavl' to be 2-3 times the size of Chernogrosk with the other cities being about the same.

Novigrad is just 5 or so kilometers from the border. I think that the eastern part of Takistan would be the same as western Chernarus, high-density farmland with lush dedicious forests around rivers. The farmland would slowly turn into a steppe. The Takistani capital would lie in an area used for growing fruit and vegetables. The "real" desert would begin 10 to 20 kilometers west from Takmyr. The Takistani coast would be somewhat mediterranean. I think that cypresses could grow around and west of Novigrad. Overall, there should be smooth transistions in vegetation.

Also, I picture northeastern Takistan as not too different from the mountains of northern Chernarus. Maybe just a little bit dryer, with more pines.

But what is most important is the cultural border. I would prefer for the Chernarussian zone to go almost to Takmyr. Maybe even some eastern suburbs of Takmyr could have Russian names and Orthodox churches, with the western suburbs already being completely Arabic and having mosques. Road signs in eastern Takistan would be both Arabic and Cyrillic, probably. I guess that there also would be lots of Chernarussian and Russian-language billboards on the highways from Takmyr to the Chernarussian and Russian borders.

Also, if we make a map of Belozersk, how do you think would the border tripoint look? I imagine that there would be an ugly monument, hastily built in the early nineties to signify the "friendship" between the members of the SNG.

I have got an idea: how about a trilateral border crossing? There is already one between Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, so why not one between Russia, Chernarus and Takistan? Basically, it consists of the countries' respective checkpoints, with a big roundabout and a monument in the middle. This should be workable if the tripoint lies in a flat area and not on a mountaintop.

Also, if you have already made a map of the Belozersk region, could you give me the download link?

There is already one between Russia, Ukraine and Belarus

That's cool. Didn't know about that.

I'll try to get back to you in a day or two with some of that other stuff.

Also, there should be a city right at the Takistani border that forms the extension of the Novigrad urban area into Takistan. How could it be called?

How about "Arbuzovo", meaning "Watermelon City" in Russian and signifying the local fruit produce? The city would be somewhat mediterranean, similar to Odessa. It would be a former holiday ressort for Chernarussians that has lost its wealth due to the border controls and is now much poorer, with slums of ethnic Chernarussians wishing to emigrate to Chernarus or Russia but not being admitted surrounding it.

On 10/8/2017 at 5:21 PM, MedwedianPresident said:

There is already one between Russia, Ukraine and Belarus,

And that is actually just a flat swampy area with no crossing points. All the border-checkpoints are fairly apart from one another and have no fast connection whatsoever

EDiT: upon analyzing this for more then 10 seconds I realized I was thinking of another tri-border :dozingoff:

EDiT2: I like these kind of discussions and brainstorming - Armaverse Lore is quite deep in some areas, yet a couple flat points remain. Fictional region topology being one of them.

These are notes that the BI developer and Chernarus designer Ivan Buchta gave me when I talked to him about Chernarus. The Primorsk area goes into a bit more detail because that is the area I was going to focus on for one of my terrains.

Hello, the notes below were provided as my memories and thoughts of how the whole country of Chernarus could look like. I definitely don’t mean to limit anyone’s interpretation of the officially published material. The notes are only meant to provide an additional inspiration and reference to our original plans for those interested. Also, the disclaimer: the notes are not an official BI statement. Thank you! - Ivan

General

- West is more developed compared to other parts of the country. There is flatland around the rivers filled with industry, benefiting from the sea and riverine transportation - especially along Burnaya (Stormy) river.

- East, far north, and central areas are filled with nature and are less accessible and wilder.

- The areas to the east of the Burnaya River are hilly, with Carpathian-like Black Mountains ridges that form a natural northern boundary.

- Belozersk and Beloe (White) Lake are locked in a SW-NE valley between smaller mountain ridges continuing from the Black Mountains

- Novigrad is a big industrial town in a river delta, surrounded by flat land that is occasionally dotted with rolling hills, especially to the North and North-east of Kirovograd. It is separated from Belozersk by one of the mentioned hilly ridges.

- South of Kirovograd are Western-Ceske_Stredohori-like volcanic hills. The Primorsk area is rugged because of the volcanic hills and the islands are a continuation of the volcanic area.

- The South-West part of the country and boundary with Takistan has vegetation and a climate similar to the Balkans or southern Ukraine. It's pretty much European but with steppes, oak etc. The north resembles Central Europe with Norwegian spruce and beech being the key species.

- The Bystrica and Bukovina are set in the area north of Miroslavl. Bukovina sits in the middle of the river going north from Miroslavl'.

- Chernarus's only nuclear power plant is situated to the south of the confluence of the Svetlaya and Burnaya rivers.

- Top tourist destinations are Beloe Lake, Primorsk coastline, Black Mountains National Park.

- There is a highway being built between Novigrad, Kirovograd, and Miroslavl’.

- A railway connects all the major towns with the most developed network being in the Novigrad-Kirovograd, and Primorsk area with a major artery into Russia via Belozersk.

Primorsk Area

- Primorsk is "hard-core" recreation resort with a cold sea and a lot of hiking, fishing, drinking and saunas. Similar to the Baltic coastline of the DDR. There are old hotels from the Soviet era there.

- Lyutyi is pretty much Kolgujev and has a military focus but is smaller. Note: Lyutyi means "harsh" in Ukrainian.

- Moschnyi is a holiday retreat; grocery store, recreational boat harbor, two towns; one for vacationers, one for workers. There are few farms and a fishing village.

- Moschnyi is low and flat with marshlands; east side is rocky with the lowlands being in the east

- Moschnyi is named after Moschnyyi island in the Gulf of Finland

- The area between Primorsk and Kirovograd is rugged hills with a rocky coast

- Primorsk's forests consist of Norwegian spruce (Picea abies L.) in hilly regions (introduced at lower elevations as a production species) and beeches, birches, and willows in other regions. Birch trees and pines can grow in less favorable sandy, rocky, and windswept areas along the coastline.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3