specialsmith

Immersive, dynamic and "realistic" missions/campaigns for a lan party, share your experiences

Hi guys and gals,

I would like to hear your opinion about what is the best fun dynamic, long lasting, immersive campaign/mission to be played by group from few to 12 guys. We run our own small dediserver, and we've been running Antistasi Altis now for this year. Great mission by the way. (A lot of thanks for the a3antistasi.com guys for making such a great piece of mission.)

So, if you have a personal experience about some of the available missions/campaigns that you had a lot of fun with, please share. Not only the name of the mission, but why you like it more? Our LAN-party is coming soon, and it would be great to have all new experiences to start there.

We appreciate certain level of realism. We don't run ACE, but we could. We love real world stuff and good AI. Nothing is more satisfying than to be surprised by the AI capabilities. Probably, as in many games, we enjoy it most when there are good amount of objectives or motivators to execute the given tasks etc. I think one part that was great in the old ArmA (1) Evolution mission was the rewarding rank system. Also, what usually motivates us most, is the feeling of lack of everything. That's why Antistasi is so great also, first you have only AKSU and Makarov. To get optics, you better do some work. We haven't yet played any of the Insurgency -type missions, if there is some that are especially good in your opinion, please share.

Anyway, if you feel that you or your gang have enjoyed some of the missions more than others and feel like sharing it here, thank you a lot! :)

Some of the favorites in our group...

BattleZone Altis

Combat Assault

Vigilancia Aeternum

and, most recently,

Dynamic Recon Ops.

My only dislike about all of these missions is the availability of the virtual arsenal. To me that's just not realistic.

• Like 1

If you are up to dynamic missions with no mod restrictions but working with any mod on your side, go with Dynamic Recon Ops or for combined arms Dynamic Combat Ops. Best dynamic mission with lots of customization possible. The author does an awesome job there. Available for a number of popular maps but can be easily ported to any other map and edited for your own needs. Look it up in the Steam workshop

• Like 2

If you are up to dynamic missions with no mod restrictions but working with any mod on your side, go with Dynamic Recon Ops or for combined arms Dynamic Combat Ops. Best dynamic mission with lots of customization possible. The author does an awesome job there. Available for a number of popular maps but can be easily ported to any other map and edited for your own needs. Look it up in the Steam workshop
Heyyy! Thanks. That one I didn't know yet. Will do. Great, thanks!

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A5000 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

3 hours ago, Tuskegee_99th said:

Some of the favorites in our group...

BattleZone Altis

Combat Assault

Vigilancia Aeternum

and, most recently,

Dynamic Recon Ops.

My only dislike about all of these missions is the availability of the virtual arsenal. To me that's just not realistic.

Whoop, I had missed this one. Wow. A lot of them. Will try them all. I see you share the same dislike than many of us. :) We still re-live the times when we skiid for one hour with the sleigh behind filled with couple molotov cocktails and a pile-up charge on FDFmod 1.4 and OFP. B-)

FDFmod 1.4 pic

Ahh... One shot, and you're dead. Respawn was an unknown feature.

21 hours ago, tobur said:

I didn't know that Dynamic Recon Ops was 'easily' portable to other maps. Can you enlighten me on how to do that? Thanks.

To port DRO missions to other maps you just have to rename a given mission and use Eden editor to correct the starting positions. The real magic of these missions happens via scripts: 

1. download any DRO mission (e.g. Altis)

2. change mission map by changing the folder name it (e.g. DRO.Altis -> DRO.Malden)

3. adjust position and height of the civilian camp / add own stuff in the editor

Liberation is also quite nice and rather easy to modify.

It doesn't have the item limitations that antistasi offers though. You usually have a full arsenal, vehicles and other assets however are limited by resources.

Hey, thanks for all the replies already. Very good new ideas gathered.

Right now I feel the most of our time is going to be burned on
- Continuing Antistasi (with RHS units)
- Liberation 1944 with FoW and IFA3
- DUWS WW2 versions by LT.DANG (this one doesn't run on dedi tough..?)
- DRO different versions.

Antistasi will probably be the main game, since there we have a savegame already. The other listed ones shall be tested at least.

Ah, now I notice, I didn't review all the proposed missions yet...

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A5000 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Oh btw. have you played antistasi on tanoa yet? Its quite a bit different.

Oh btw. have you played antistasi on tanoa yet? Its quite a bit different.
Yea, we did start that couple weeks ago. Very interesting indeed. We didn't get far from the beginning, but definitely will continue. What in your opinion@Tajin are the most interesting differences? For us the very different environment was a wow-factor already. Are there differences in the gameplay/mechanics?

Slightly, yes. The available equipment is very different.

You're also put in a different situation altogether since you're playing as syndicat and are pretty much caught in between bluefor and redfor.

So unlike on altis you cant automatically rely on bluefor to help you out. It depends on how you build your relations and that can go very badly if you piss one or both factions off before you've established some infrastructure.

I don't remember all the details though, it has been a while since I've played it.

I'd certainly say that the tanoa version is much harder.

On 5.10.2017 at 3:33 PM, Tajin said:

Slightly, yes. The available equipment is very different.

You're also put in a different situation altogether since you're playing as syndicat and are pretty much caught in between bluefor and redfor.

So unlike on altis you cant automatically rely on bluefor to help you out. It depends on how you build your relations and that can go very badly if you piss one or both factions off before you've established some infrastructure.

I don't remember all the details though, it has been a while since I've played it.

I'd certainly say that the tanoa version is much harder.

Cools, sounds very interesting.

One question: We played the Dynamic Recon Ops, but it seems to be limited to 8 players, is that correct? We will be 10-12 in the LAN-party. The mission looks very nice, but we need to get everybody in to enjoy it most.

If you and your guys don't mind using ACE, then you should also take a look at "Overthrow". Rather similar to Antistasi but plays a bit slower and with somewhat different features.

10 hours ago, Tajin said:

If you and your guys don't mind using ACE, then you should also take a look at "Overthrow". Rather similar to Antistasi but plays a bit slower and with somewhat different features.

Wow, thanks. Will do. Sounds great! We're slow also. B-)

8 hours ago, Tuskegee_99th said:

Have a look at Dynamic Combat Ops by the same author. I'm pretty sure it is set up for 12 players.

Hey, yea. I think we've tried that out earlier, but then we were n00bs. I will take that to test. Thanks!

Heyyyyy... Since the DUWS (or DIWS, the ISIS fighting one) does not work on dedi, what woiöd you suggest instead? For scenario where we fight hard to recognize, civilian looking and unpredictable enemy that uses IEDs, suicide bombers and what not to make our life end sooner.

Do you have a personal favorite for that environment?

I've understood the Insurgency is more like a name for whole mission type, than a certain mission...

Any comments?

On 4.10.2017 at 6:11 PM, tobur said:

To port DRO missions to other maps you just have to rename a given mission and use Eden editor to correct the starting positions. The real magic of these missions happens via scripts: 

2. change mission map by changing the folder name it (e.g. DRO.Altis -> DRO.Malden)

3. adjust position and height of the civilian camp / add own stuff in the editor

Hi! I was trying to port DRO on VT5 (Finnish map). The mission seems to hang in "Please wait while the mission is being generated". Did as you instructed and exported to MP. Do you have any other tips and tricks before I go to troubleshooting my brains out.

Edit. I basically moved the civ camp (the only units/items visible on the map) to a remote island/corner of the map and lowered them to the ground level. Is that what you meant? Then save, and export to MP.

"Scenario where we fight hard to recognise, civilian looking and unpredictable enemy that uses IEDs, suicide bombers"

I think ALiVE could work out well for this, as it does insurgent and asymmetrical fighting, with civilians, informants (for both sides) and suicide bombers/ V-BIED's / IED's. It may require some basic mission making skills, just dropping down modules and playing with settings if you really want to fine tune it to what you like. 

ALiVE-

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620260972

Expansion on ALiVE that adds more details to civilians, things like ambient cars driving around, being able to talk to and question civilians-

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=579263829

An alternative would be MCC, which I believe has a module for civilians and IED bombers and such? I don't have much experience in it myself. The biggest difference is ALiVE is more complex and more likely to cover the whole map, while MCC is usually smaller, just a few towns, but can be generated more on-the-fly rather than requiring Editor set-up. 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=338988835

Some other options for missions I haven't played myself, so I can't vouch for quality, but might be intresting to you-

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=929559875

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=812046730

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=955233864

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=969558490

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=953084246

I also second DRO/DCO, they are really handy 'canned' missions that are easy to pick and play, while having fantastic mod/faction support.

As far as environment goes, in general for maps VS AI you want something with some decent variation of course, but smaller urban areas such as farming areas or small villages or forests are useful, because they drop the range of combat substantially without the large performance drop of a large jungle. 

You'll want most combat to be around 200-450M or so, as that tends to be where the AI perform to their best because in close range urban fighting they may act a bit stupid unless you are using a mod like V-com to improve the AI, as that allows them to actually charge into buildings and use things like suppression, flanking attacks and heavier weapons like RPG's against infantry clusters or manned buildings. Also of note is V-Com makes enemy engineers or other troops with explosives able to suicide bomb you, charging at buildings you are inside and exploding.

On 10/4/2017 at 11:11 AM, Tobur said:

Can you make a video on how to do this, I'm trying to follow your instructions but it doesn't work. I am big retard pleas help

11 hours ago, Moist Beef said:

Can you make a video on how to do this, I'm trying to follow your instructions but it doesn't work. I am big retard pleas help

Here you go

https://youtu.be/gF6ESlJizgg

if you got DRO from the workshop you need to find the steam folder (somewhere here C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata, see video) , unpack and pack the .pbo with PBO manager for example (shown in video). Tell if you need further help

• Like 3

On 3/7/2019 at 5:55 AM, Tobur said:

Here you go

https://youtu.be/gF6ESlJizgg

if you got DRO from the workshop you need to find the steam folder (somewhere here C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata, see video) , unpack and pack the .pbo with PBO manager for example (shown in video). Tell if you need further help

THANK YOU SO MUCH! your awesome!

• Like 1