katipo66

Possible to make specific units to ignore AddRating

I have all 3 sides set as enemy to each other and me playing as civilian with AddRating -5000, only problem i have is i want other civilians to join my group, when i get another civilian unit to join my group he still sees me as an enemy, is it possible to make just that specific unit ignore my AddRating?

It would be cool if units with the same AddRating levels friendly to each other.

Can't really think of any 'clean' solution for that, so here are some really dirty ones that may or may not work:

- Disable their "AUTOTARGET" AI and instead use a script to assign targets to them.

- Spam the forgetTarget command to make sure they don't attack you. (I have no idea what sideeffects that might have):

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/forgetTarget

- In a multiplayer mission you could also try to modify your rating locally, so it is positive on your client but negative on all others. Then transfer locality of any unit that is supposed to be friendly to your client. ...

Be a renegade, what for? You want to have a "knowsabout" max on your head? It's weird, you can't hide.

Depending on your scenario, you can be a normal civilian but make civilians enemy for other sides. Yes, civilians can fight.

Use setFriend command for all the sides you want to fight. Read the notes.

Then, if you need to avoid too much civilians as enemies for other group(s), just setcaptive them and setBehaviour "careless".

30 minutes ago, Tajin said:

Can't really think of any 'clean' solution for that, so here are some really dirty ones that may or may not work:

- Spam the forgetTarget command to make sure they don't attack you. (I have no idea what sideeffects that might have):

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/forgetTarget

Thanks, I thought soldier1 forgetTarget soldier2; would work but unfortunately he still wants to kill me

20 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

Be a renegade, what for? You want to have a "knowsabout" max on your head? It's weird, you can't hide.

Depending on your scenario, you can be a normal civilian but make civilians enemy for other sides. Yes, civilians can fight.

Use setFriend command for all the sides you want to fight. Read the notes.

Then, if you need to avoid too much civilians as enemies for other group(s), just setcaptive them and setBehaviour "careless".

Yes i want 4 sides fighting each other, SetFriend kind of works but seems buggy, eg i have it set like this in the init:

Civilian setFriend [West, 0];
West setFriend [Civilian, 0];
Civilian setFriend [East, 0];
East setFriend [Civilian, 0];
Civilian setFriend [Independent, 0];
Independent setFriend [Civilian, 0];

But East/West/Idependent do not fire on me, they do target me, if i have another civilian in my group he has no problem firing on any of them, frustrating.

17 hours ago, katipo66 said:

But East/West/Idependent do not fire on me, they do target me, if i have another civilian in my group he has no problem firing on any of them, frustrating.

Yep, I saw that. Boring!!! One more time arma's engine strikes against commands / functions.

• Like 1

Take a closer look at the discussiont below the setFriend command:

Setting the civilian side to be the enemy of any other side will result in the other side attacking inanimate mission editor placed objects such as empty vehicles and static objects, since these objects belong to the civilian side.

Setting civillians as enemy is not good practice.

40 minutes ago, 7erra said:

Make them renegade neither. They will fire at each other.

Just now, 7erra said:

Yes I think I've searched nearly everything regarding this, and given up, Ultimately im not wanting to set the whole civilian side as enemy but just me and my group who will be the only civilians in the mission, but BI have it hard wired that a civilian is still a civilian and will not fire on them even though that civilian is armed to the teeth and shooting his buddies in the face.

the AddRating system would be perfect if units with the same rating level were friendly to each other.

18 hours ago, pierremgi said:

Make them renegade neither. They will fire at each other.

I thought that was actually wanted. Except for his own squad.

Personally I wish BIS would simply give us a command to create a new side instead of beeing stuck with the regular 3 (4).

• Like 1

Just now, Tajin said:

I thought that was actually wanted. Except for his own squad.

To be clear, me and my squad would be the only civilians in the mission.

5 hours ago, katipo66 said:

To be clear, me and my squad would be the only civilians in the mission.

You can group civilian units into a squad. OK

but, if you become renegade (rating below -2000), you shift to sideEnemy (what ever could be your former side) and every AI will shoot you.

As renegade, you don't belong to your former group but to a new single unit group on enemySide.

So, there is no chance to be hunted as civilian belonging to a civilian group;

Just now, pierremgi said:

You can group civilian units into a squad. OK

but, if you become renegade (rating below -2000), you shift to sideEnemy (what ever could be your former side) and every AI will shoot you.

As renegade, you don't belong to your former group but to a new single unit group on enemySide.

So, there is no chance to be hunted as civilian belonging to a civilian group;

Yeah that's what I had discovered, the whole point is I want to be renegade to all factions, but my squad remains friendly to each other... i think the cut off number was around "AddRating -2139" before my squad started shooting each other, can't remember exact number when testing in VR with my civilian squad and a  blufor squad, I was trying to see if there was a sweet spot where my squad would not kill each other and other factions would fire on us.

The funny thing is as a civilian you could shoot and kill a blufor unit no problem, they would not fire back, but if I as a civilian shoots another civilian (I.e. in my squad) then they (blufor) instantly target and kill you.

I hate to harp on about it but it would be awesome to be able to use the AddRating to define custom factions, it just seems to make sense as an option for mission makers that all units with the same rating are friendly to each other.

4 minutes ago, katipo66 said:

it just seems to make sense as an option for mission makers that all units with the same rating are friendly to each other.

No it really wouldn't make sense. Rating is just a numerical indicator of how bad you've been with a certain treshold that turns you into a renegade.

It has nothing to do with factions, groups or anything like that.

Just now, Tajin said:

No it really wouldn't make sense. Rating is just a numerical indicator of how bad you've been with a certain treshold that turns you into a renegade.

It has nothing to do with factions, groups or anything like that.

but if it were possible to have different levels of "renegade" depending on what rating was applied could that not then define a group/faction? That is of course dependant on those with the same rating being friendly to each other and hostile to all other ratings, perhaps I'm thinking of it wrong, I'm just talking of the possibility. Otherwise why have a rating up to -2000, why not say -10.

40 minutes ago, katipo66 said:

but if it were possible to have different levels of "renegade" depending on what rating was applied could that not then define a group/faction? That is of course dependant on those with the same rating being friendly to each other and hostile to all other ratings, perhaps I'm thinking of it wrong, I'm just talking of the possibility. Otherwise why have a rating up to -2000, why not say -10.

Different levels of renegade doesn't make sense neither. You are renegade or not. -2000 is hardcoded. Each time you kill a unit, your rating changes with the type of your kill, (leader, infantry, tank, ship, helicopter, crew...), different also if it's a friendly kill, etc. This system takes into account your enemy kills before dropping you on the enemySide. Not too bad. You can still fight and recover your group with a better rating! But usually player is just dead before this redemption!

The reason why I scripted something making custom rating (don't kill civ or friend) but shifting from renegade to old side after a punishment time f (seriousness).

Ok thanks for the feedback, I guess the whole point is the want/need for some more factions or ability to at least create them in the editor but I guess it's never gonna happen.