viper2511

Exact road shape export

I am aware of TB's ability to export a shape file to imagery etc. (I have done this) and therefore have a very rough layout of my roads as part of my fictitious island's sat map.

I have spent countless hours tweaking curves to try and get a 'near perfect' rendition of the final roads, anyone who has generated any size of terrain will appreciate how long this takes. I am trying to get my road shape file (and therefore my sat map roads) to follow more precisely (if not exactly!) the actual road curves produced by TB.

Other than simplifying my proposed mountain switchback, which I am loathe to do (though I may have to at this rate), is there anyway to export from TB an exact shape file for the actually generated in-game roads?

What is annoying is when flying and/or viewing roads from a distance the sat map doesn't quite match up with the curves. This doesn't bother the guys who have play tested the map, and it wouldn't be TOO noticeable whilst in battle etc. but it drives me crazy. If there is no other way than tweaking each curve until it matches then so be it, but rather than pull my hair out I thought I'd ask here.

Only thing i can suggest is adding more points to the poly lines. Arma draws roads weirdly, if in TB the polyline is a slight diagonal stretch of 200m in TB, in game it will actually be a nice smooth curve because consistency.... However when you export shapes to imagery as i'm sure you have found, it exports exactly what the poly line look like in TB. Which usually doesn't match particularly well with that curve in game. 

So the only thing i have been able to do in my work, is add more points to the polyline to better follow the path of what is drawn in game. Also use a polyline width that is appropriate for your roads. I find the default of 10 only suitable for the big highway road on Altis. Most of the other tarmac'd roads fit a size of 8 far better. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your reply. I figured as much, and have been doing that, I was just wondering if there was an easier/quicker way. Cheers!

I am just doing the same: Adding more points to curves to make the shapesimages fit better.

And i keep may roadtypes separated in different layers so i can adjust their colors and width according to the road they represent.
I usually tend to make those shapes for satmask 2-3 pixel smaller than my road. This way they still blend nicely on the satmap, but there is less overlapping and recoloring of the terrain near the roads.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, going forward I'll use the separate layers per road type too.