Ulfgaar

Native Map Objects IDs changing with updates

Made a few vanilla missions (with DLCs) where im using object ID's to have my players interact with certain objects native to the map. 

My problem is that with pretty much every update where the maps have been "polished" in some way or had more objects added to them - the object ID's change and their numbers are scewed with a few digits. This ofc fucks over my mission i a severely bad way - as triggers and events depending on said object having the correct ID - suddenly wont work, as the objects ID has changed. So "blowing up" said object - wont activate the trigger, as the object now has a different ID than what the trigger is waiting for. 

Please fix this - as i've spent ages on making these missions which i was about to publish on steam workshop. Now however, after discovering this - it seems there is no point in publishing the missions, as they will only work up until the next time an update on the map is put into play.

The big question for my sake is, why does old objects need to get new ID's when new objects are added or old ones removed? Having this happen really fucks stuff up for me as a mission creator (now that i finally figured out how to use native objects on the map as part of my missions). 

*sadface*

//Ulfgaar

That is not going to change. In fact, one of the things they removed in Arma 3, can't remember exactly when (it was a few years ago), but it was no later than with the release of the 3den editor, was the ability to see object IDs in the editor. They removed them, at least visually in the editor, because people used it, exactly in the manner you do now, and they couldn't (or wouldn') guarantee those IDs never changed.

So you will have to use other techniques, like the capturing a reference to the object based on te location of the object (at mission start if it might move).

The better option is to work with nearestObjects, nearestTerrainObjects, nearestBuilding and so on. Using the ID is not viable due to the reasons @Muzzleflash mentioned. BIS tries to make the game as good as it can be by adding, removing and adjusting things, including terrain objects. This includes deletetion of flawed map objects. I remember that shortly after Tanoa was released on the stable branch there was a pier in the middle of nowhere beneath the map and could only be seen via the nearestTerrainObject command and a map marker. Stuff like that.

This sucks, but thanks for the answers. Will need to severely rework several missions now to work around this. 

Live and learn i guess :)

Now you can use the Hide Objects module to remove them, and then replace it with an object you can assign a variable name to. Should actually make most of the things you want to do a bit easier.

Hide object module?

Fuck, this thing is brilliant! Thanks for the tip!

well...

imho brilliant is something else...

you can still use this command

do3DENAction "ToggleMapIDs";

to show the ids in the editor...

and then there is the new stuff

ModuleEditTerrainObject_F
ModuleHideTerrainObjects_F

you can use these modules to hide/edit objects on the map

BUT.... and this is where the problems start again...

if something explodes near one of the hidden objects the destroyed model will show up again...

with the old method - hiding them by id - we could set allowdamage false to make them indestructable and problem was solved

but how should we do this with these new modules when we have no id where we can set the allowdamage on it

so.... dear bohemia devs... please give us an option to make the hidden objects indestructable so they dont show up when something explodes next to them or zeus hits the spot where they used to be