Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- NO DISCUSSION

Infantry being able to move, pick up and drag certain items and allow them to move things during gameplay.

Oh man... native, physx-powered drag'n'drop of (static) objects; or carry'n'drop for smaller objects!

With proper animations, precise controls (position/rotation) and suitable for AI too you say?

oh boy, oh boy, oh boy :rolleyes2:

Hello Mates,

i have used the search function and haven't found anything regarding copilot improvements, so I decided to write this feature request.

Having a military background in the army aviation troops, I am unsatisfied with the copilot's role. Right now the copilot is just another passenger with an extremly limited set of possibilities. Enhancements to this fact are neither time-consuming nor complex.

In real life the workload in the cockpit is shared between the two pilots. One (the Aircraft Commander) is usually navigating, communicating etc. while the other one (Pilot In Command) is responsible for flying the aircraft. Both can switch their tasks at any given time.

Lets progress to my propasal:

1. The pilot should be able to "authorize/deauthorize" his copilot. This way a not authorised copilot is still just another passanger, just as is it today. An authorized copilot will get all the new benefits

2. The copilot should have exactly the same HUD symbology as the pilot (including rotorlib HUD-instruments, damage panel, speed indicator. flight path marker etc...)

3. The copilot should be able to control most of the helicopter functions (lights, gears, sling etc.). Turning on/off the engines should be restricted to the one controlling the aircraft.

4. The pilot should be able to transfer the controls to the copilot. (Maybe with a little countdown-timer: Menu entry switch controls -> Copilot Hud: Prepare for taking controls... 3... 2... 1... You have it)

5. The copilot should be able to transfer the controls back to the pilot.

6. In case of death or eject of the PIC the other existing pilot should automaticly get the aircraft's controls.

This would extremly enhance the teamwork in the cockpit. One pilot could fly the ingress to a LZ, while the other one prepares for the egress. It would help alot for training purposes... and so on and so on...

Please if there is someone from BI reading this thread/post consider adding this feature. With a fair ammount of working hours you could implement a way more realistic an entertaining experience.

Thank you guys for creating the best mil-sim/game available!

Regards

mcfleck

Hello Mates,

i have used the search function and haven't found anything regarding copilot improvements, so I decided to write this feature request.

Having a military background in the army aviation troops, I am unsatisfied with the copilot's role. Right now the copilot is just another passenger with an extremly limited set of possibilities. Enhancements to this fact are neither time-consuming nor complex.

In real life the workload in the cockpit is shared between the two pilots. One (the Aircraft Commander) is usually navigating, communicating etc. while the other one (Pilot In Command) is responsible for flying the aircraft. Both can switch their tasks at any given time.

Lets progress to my propasal:

1. The pilot should be able to "authorize/deauthorize" his copilot. This way a not authorised copilot is still just another passanger, just as is it today. An authorized copilot will get all the new benefits

2. The copilot should have exactly the same HUD symbology as the pilot (including rotorlib HUD-instruments, damage panel, speed indicator. flight path marker etc...)

3. The copilot should be able to control most of the helicopter functions (lights, gears, sling etc.). Turning on/off the engines should be restricted to the one controlling the aircraft.

4. The pilot should be able to transfer the controls to the copilot. (Maybe with a little countdown-timer: Menu entry switch controls -> Copilot Hud: Prepare for taking controls... 3... 2... 1... You have it)

5. The copilot should be able to transfer the controls back to the pilot.

6. In case of death or eject of the PIC the other existing pilot should automaticly get the aircraft's controls.

This would extremly enhance the teamwork in the cockpit. One pilot could fly the ingress to a LZ, while the other one prepares for the egress. It would help alot for training purposes... and so on and so on...

Please if there is someone from BI reading this thread/post consider adding this feature. With a fair ammount of working hours you could implement a way more realistic an entertaining experience.

Thank you guys for creating the best mil-sim/game available!

Regards

mcfleck

Hi mcfleck,

It already works partially as you described. The pilot can "unlock" controls, allowing copilot to "take controls" on demand. When copilot takes controls, he gets all of the HUD elements. As a copilot, you can also take controls if the pilit is dead even of he did not unlock it. So, most of what you describe is actually implemented. There's no countdown yes, but if you're flying seriously, you're going to have voice comma anyway.

True, the copilot can't operate secondary subsystems while pilot is flying, but that's a bit of a separate question.

Have you tried this current control transfer functionality?

Edited by DarkWanderer

Activate walk mode, hold down W key for ten seconds and unit begins auto walking, it should not activate in crouch mode, free turn and mouse directions would still work and it deactivates when hitting any movement key.

At times i actually enjoy walking in game, usually the hardest part about it is having to continually hold down the W key :D

Is it possible to wear a normal uniform and fins together, like the survival uniform? So that you can wear the uniform outside the water and get on the fins when you are diving.

Hi BIS-Team,

I would appreciate a lot if you would take a look at the following features and consider them in a future update of ARMA3:

>>>> "SHOW CHAT/STATUS HISTORY"

Problem:

The list of chat lines / status lines in the left lower corner is quite short.

It happens quite often that you are just reading a chat info of your team mates or that you have written a long meaasge (over 3 lines)

but the message is immediately overwritten/replaced by new message or status information, e.g. like a 4-line status message telling that a player has been kicked due to missing ticket blabla...

So you are missing a lots of message you were not able to read completely, or you have to write your message again, to tell your team mates..

Solution: provide a HOT KEY / TOGGLE key "Show extended chat/status window", which will then

extend the list of messages on the left side of the screen from the top to bottom of the screen.

Alternatively: provide hotkeys you can PAGE UP / DOWN through chat/status messages

>>>> "MECHANISM of THROWING GRENADES - controlling the power"

Problem:

The power you can throw a grenade with is just 0/1 (0% / 100%).

This is preventing from a more realistic gameplay, e.g. throwing/dropping the grenade on/from top of a roof, balcony, etc...

Solution:

I have encountered in the game "Operation flashpoint" a very good meachnism for grenades.

Please take a look at the following video I have found, which describes the mechanism in detail.

youtube.com/watch?v=l1FAoQEyGcE

Shortly:

- 1-click with mouse button is 'releasing'/throwing the grenade (like today)

- Keeping the mouse button pressed for 0,5 sec. and then releasing the button will release the grenade with 20% of power, any 0,5 sec. more will incrase the power by 20%

So keeping the mouse button pressed 2,5 secs will throw the grenade with 100%, again...

- 'Cooking' of grenade should be supported as well, see video

>>>> "FLASHBANG GRENADE"

Problem:

- Missing -

Solution:

Provide an additional type of grenade: "FLASHBANG"

Features of that type of grenade are well known, see other games like CS

>>>> "MAP: DISPLAY NUMBER OF PLAYERS for EACH TEAM"

Problem: To find out if teams are WELL BALANCED, you have to count the number of 'RED' and 'BLUE' players in the list of all players (ctrl+p)

This is very time consuming and annyoing.

Solution:

Provide a counter for number of players for each team in MAP|PLAYERS section (same like list with ctrl+p)

Alternatively: My suggestion even is to display the number of players in each team constantly on the screen, can be in small letters in a corner,

like the FPS info provided by steam.

WHY? > because team balance is very important for team play and FUN, for both teams. So this 'indicator' should be visible for all anytime,

just to 'suggest' to any player to keep the team balance in mind and to switch teams, in case of missing balance.

>>>> "MAP: Simplifying the setting of COLOUR and SYMBOL of a text marker"

Problem:

For a text marker you can set different colours and symbols (good feature!)

However, setting those by (i think) SHIFT+ARROW or CTRL+ARROW is quite time consuming and annoying.

Solution:

When you open the small dialog for TEXT MARKERS by double-clicking on the map,

this small dialog could be extended by two options, one to select colour from a list of coloured squares (like WinWord)

and a list of available symbols.

Additionally: the COLOUR and SYMBOL used for the player's last text marker should be used as default for new markers.

Constraint: maybe the MAPs might get to colourful, if the colour will be so easy to set....

>>>> "LOBBY SCREEN: TEAM SELECTION (and player slot)"

Problem:

Teams are sometimes staffed unbalanced, because especially new/unexperiened players do not understand the way to select a team.

To select the RED and BLUE icons is not very intuitive and often not recognized as items you can click on.

Therefore players are just entered the lobby are then selecting a player slot and move on, without realizing that they could also select another team first

Solution:

The usability and awareness of a 'team-selection' should be improved. Should be an issue of 'visualisation' / user interface.

>>>> "LOBBY SCREEN: Option ENSURE TEAM BALANCE"

Problem:

Teams are sometimes staffed unbalanced, due to many reasons.

However, despite of already unbalanced teams, new players are sometimes still joining the team which already has significantly MORE players than the other one.

This is negative in terms of FUN and fairness, as well.

Solution:

Provide a "ENSURE TEAM BALANCE" optin, that can be turned ON/OFF server side by the server admin.

ON: means, that a joining player can only join a team with has MAXIMUM +20% of players thean the other team.

That would mean when team balance is like 20 vs. 24, a new player gets a meaasge "This team cannot be joined due to team balance, plase select other team", when he wants to join the 24-team.

Of course, approach has to be adjusted for games of lets say < 10 current players

Alternatively: instead of preventing the user to join the outnumbering team, he could only get a warning message concerning "team balance", however he would still be able to overrule and join the desired team.

Alternatively: instead of ON/OFF the server admin (host of the game) can set the %-value by his own (from 20% - 100%).

Thank you for your attention

Kind regards

Chris

P.S.: Guys, I appreciate your work, effort and passion so much, you are all doing an awesome job!!

I am an IT pro, so I know about software projects of this size :-o ..... just TY!!

Are there any plans for HMS Proteus? I mean, why isn't it already playable with controls similar to 'Silent Hunter?' It would sell premium DLC for sure.... add a destroyer and the DLC will sell like hotcakes! BIS do you even realise you're sitting on a potential goldmine here! Who knows, maybe they'll add it in an expansion :pray:

It's a morale sapper when you're a mission maker and you're looking at such useless eye candy. So much potential.

*** THIS WAS INITIALLY POSTED ON THE GENERAL DISCUSSION BOARD AND WAS ACTUALLY BEING DISCUSSED BUT ALL REPLIES HAVE BEEN DELETED AND THE POST MOVED HERE FOR AN UNKNOWN REASON ****

Edited by Infiltrator_2K
Additional information

Ehem...

Specifically for the Expansion. =D

Gibbs Technologies Quadski XL. Would fit everything Arma and the new Terrain is. It's Modern, sleek design, large quadbike rugged offroad, AND speedboat in one.

They could make versions for law enforcement too.

Seeing as how you get around either by boat, or amphibian, your only other option is by air. These would be perfect for getting across islands and such, and would be a first in the Arma series for an Amphibious car, which is becoming more popular in civilian life and other military interests.

http://www.gibbssports.com/media/cache/42/ac/42acbd6b7ff95c57ebc1e30494edfe0e.jpg

http://cdn.luxatic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/GIBBS-Quadski-Amphibious-ATV-1.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/FIzOcJwQ7WA/maxresdefault.jpg

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Leisure/2009/quadski-xl-dry.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/RM9lnlZ_KgA/maxresdefault.jpg

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00pjQTvgrcgZbM/800cc-Amphibious-Jet-Ski-Amphibious-ATV.jpg

Also... just a side thought. Gibbs technology MRAP?

CONCEPT%20ACC-E%20-%20WATER.jpg

Hey guys,

My suggestion is to reduce fall damage in the game. I'm sorry, but if I fall 4 feet in real life, I don't die. Sometimes I've landed on roofs of buildings in game and tried to land on a wall that is a couple feet below me and it kills me and destroys the wall. Which is odd because that shouldn't happen at all. It would be nice to actually jump down at least a few feet and not die, and even better yet not take damage at all. So reducing fall damage would allow us to survive small ledges, and make getting out of tough spots easier.

Dunno for you guys, but I feel so bored by the medic system:

Now, we can only ask for the medic, wait and pray for him to come - and it can be sooooo long (provided he doesn't get killed before) IF he agrees to come...

So please BIS, put back the old system in which we had the action "heal" when close to the medic to make him heal us, instead of being forced to wait 1 hour before he agrees to come to us - when he does...

A ship (static) similar to the USS Khe Sahn or the HMS Proteus or the trawler would suit perfectly for Tanoa. Placeable in the editor this would allow for some creative mission design.

A small flat top, destroyer/frigate or something similar capable of bearing rotary wing assets.

Static searchlights.

Please? :bounce3:

First post here, and hopefully it won't be a hit-and-run (1 post) kind of thing, I haven't been using any forums for a while now, so it will take some time getting used to it again. Ok, let's go with the suggestion(s):

1. -Someone posted about this on the Arma3 Feedback section (ID#: 0001328) over 2 years ago, I'm surprised this issue hasn't been addressed in so long. One of the suggestions in that feedback thread seems to be really effective, and I doubt the Arma3 developerss would have (too) much trouble with implementing that (I have a suspicion that due to the age of the feedback thread, it might have been slightly forgotten). After all, isn't one of Arma's big trademarks the possibility of modding the game to a huge extent? If so, why can't the mod developers (I asked the Epoch mod developers about this) change this setting? The way-point color, text size, and even the icon (the one you see while moving in-game, not the one you're placing on the map) can at the moment not be changed. Even though you can change interface size, the text on it doesn't change. Even though you can change Active elements colors, the way-point marker doesn't change. How difficult would it be to split everything you see on the screen in X categories and setting the colors there to each one's preference? And I've noticed people with disabilities like vision impairment complain about this too, so I'm really surprised BI didn't take a step towards resolving this issue once and for all.
  2. It would be great if you implemented Auto-sorting/Refreshing of the order of items in containers. For example, you have 5 mags of X ammo, 3 Medkits, and other assorted stuff, and, looks like currently, it's based on what order the items were placed into the container. So, if you start moving one type of items to another container (like to or from a vehicle), most if not all the time those items will shift their position after 1+ right-clicks on them in the backpack, chestrig, clothing, etc. So it gets really annoying really fast when you have to constantly scroll down in the inventory to search for where the item has been placed to on the item list and moving it again, especially if you have a huge number of items in your container. An option to move items in bulk (moving from/to) would also make things a lot easier instead of spamming right-click when you're trying to do it fast (lately the right-click moving of items from one container to another seems to be bugged, but I haven't tested that properly yet, it might have to do with the mod itself).
  3. Why does the character still go prone if you try to switch to a weapon while sprinting? I can see how taking out a gun from your back at full sprint is unrealistic, but another option could be to make the character at least go to one knee, or switch from sprinting to slow walk instead. If you can switch to your primary weapon when sprinting if you have binoculars/rangefinder equipped without going prone, why wouldn't it be possible to do that if you have both hands unoccupied?
  4. In-game server browser: While I appreciate the updated server browser within Arma3, it's still a bit sub-par. An option to disable automatic updating the server list every time I click on Play/Multiplayer would be amazing. It is really annoying the way it is now, and sad to say my connection and modem can't even handle the lowest Steam setting of 250 pings a minute without lagging the cojones of my connection (yay for mobile broadband). At least I figured out how to make server-specific shortcuts on my desktop.

This is it so far, I hope some of the things mentioned here might give a mini-snack for thought to the BI/Arma3 developers and hopefully we can see something being done about the issues mentioned here in the future, because while some of these might seem small/insignificant to some people, they are actually so basic it's hard to understand why they didn't get a fix already. Otherwise BI, keep up the great work, this game is amazing, thank you.

I am typing this just after patch 1.46 in early July 2015

I like using the Virtual Armoury to create solders together with their uniforms, weapons and equipment.

There are a series of helmets named "Combat Helmets".

1. There is a helmet named "Modular helmet". This uses the same camouflage as do AAF troops. I suggest re-naming this helmet "Combat Helemt Digi".

2. I hate those science fiction helmets used by CSCAT troops. I suggest adding a new combat helmet. It would be the same style as the other combat helmets but it would painted the same as the CSAT uniforms. It would be named "Combat Helmet Hex".

I am typing this just after patch 1.46 in early July 2015. I like using the Virtual Armoury to create solders together with their uniforms, weapons and equipment.

1. There is a uniform named: Recon Fatigues (MTP). To be consistent please rename this uniform: Combat Fatigues Recon (MTP)

2. There is a uniform named: Worn Combat Fatigues (MTP). To be consistent please rename this uniform: Combat Fatigues Worn (MTP)

3. I hate the science fiction look of the CSAT uniforms. Please create 2 new uniforms. One short sleeve and one long sleeve, they would somewhat resemble the NATO or AAF uniforms except that the pattern would be the CSAT pattern.

I am typing this just after patch 1.46 in early July 2015. I like using the Virtual Armoury to create solders together with their uniforms, weapons and equipment.

I have a number of standard soldiers saved. When I load a soldier I am presented with the list of saved soldiers.

They are not in alphabetical order!

Please arrange it so they appear in alphabetical order.

Me I liked to see some control over how loud you are well walking and running. Because you can sprint in real life carry a combat load and be pretty quite provided all the stuff your wearing isn't banging around. yet our characters in game seem to be moving around with intent on being extremely loud. From if we are walking in a low stand on soft clear gorund or even shift our stance (vertically or horizontally), these things which should be pretty almost silent if not silent announces your presence to everyone in the dam town.

One thing that would make this game with # 1 is the lack of a system of destruction of objects, eg: buildings, vehicles, etc etc .... This would be the perfect game and become the best game of the 21st century. :popup:

The future of this game and its successful acceptance by its large user community and will continue to rise, in my personal opnion needs to incorporate a system of destruction of objects to finally be the perfect game. :thumb:

It is true that the tracked vehicles do not work all that well in the game.

a bit more of a responsive environment would be nice but things like "everthing completely destructable" is a Battlefield style feature creep marketing phrase... not much significance to gameplay, though i gotta admit that arma has not allways had the most elegant solutions for demolution models *cough* ugly damage materials *cough* *cough* flattened buildings and objects *cough*

how about non-comical fire/smoke particle effects?

I think having a feature of being able to walk into the back of the Huron or other ramped Helicopters would be awesome, and when you walk in you have the ability to sit in a specific seat.

Also, seeming that ArmA 3 has a futuristic look (Year 2035) I think that having the US Osprey helicopter would be amazing! Having it sling loading as well as transporting troops would be 'Top notch'!

I've tried to rise this issue many times, and will continue to do so.

Arma still, despite so many years, have HORRIBLE CQB expirience. And it will remain as such until next problems will be resolved:

1) Realistic grenade handling in narrow and tightly packed environment. Soldiers DO NOT step into doorways or dance around a window to get in a perfect position for 10 seconds, then pray to God for another 10, and only to get killed by their own bouncing grenade (but they actually will be disintegrated by enemy troops waiting 5 meters from them in the room to which this door leads long before that happens). This just don't happen, almost never like that. Soldiers just reach their hand and toss a grenade with one quick and 100% accurate throw into the doorway. There is only 0,01% possibility you can screw up such kind of action, and in Arma this turns into some kind of circus show with gimmicks and acrobatics. This is total disgrace for the game that calls itself a combat simulator.

How it HAS TO BE implemented:

You simply stop BESIDE a doorway or window (NOT in front of it!), choose an action from menu, select a doorway or window as an object with mouse (or autoselect triggers, choosing the opening closest to you) and grenade is automagically fly through this hole with almost 99% precision (like it would almost always happened in real life; you can add some small probability to fumble this throw, if you want)

2) Intuitive and really functional interaction with covers and obstacles. Stance system is a huge improvement, but it's only a half of the way. The game needs the system similar to what Smookie created for Arma 2, which would have allowed to easily (by pressing a one hotkey) take positions behind some cover or a corner, quickly pop-up from behind it to place a couple of shots, and quickly get behind it again. Current animations falls shorts of what they should provide in higly dynamic and deadly CQB fights.

3) Last, but not least. This is, unlike previous two, is a long-term goal. CQB is tiied very tightly to cover and fortification. So for proper simulation the game needs ability to modify structures and objects during the course of the mission. So, for example, a platoon overtaking a fortified village should be able to breach walls of fortified houses (or use a grenade launcher to destroy the force defending the room without even entering it, or seeing the targets); the houses' door should be able to enter a "jammed" state, and opposing force should be able either to demolish them, or break them by using brute force; map designer should be able to add brick walls inside the buildings with tiny embrasures in them, use furniture to create an improvised cover and blocking passages through the rooms, effectively turning house into the raging hell for those daring to storm it. This is a real challenge to implement, but at least it should be kept in sight for the future.

Edited by porko

In addition to my point above.

In CQB you stick to your teammates and to the walls or any available cover

So in such environments, where a fraction of the second is what separates your from the afterlife, you just can't afford any clumsiness in controls you can when your potential foe is 50-1000m away. And famous "dancing" around a corner to find a proper position, that can be seen in a lot of "tactical" shooters, which is clumsy even in non-CQB situations, in CQB becomes endless source of frustration and cause of untimely demise. You can't afford the approach "make a little step (and hope it will be little enough, because if you step too far you will be dead before you can react), check if you are in proper position, if not, make another little step" in such conditions. And that is not how IRL you body works. IRL you just do a complex but intuitive movement and cautiosly look around the corner with just one eye, in half of a second (you don't think about it like "lets stick out my head out of the corner for 1 inch, ok we are ok, lets stick out it for another inch"), you just do, such basic moves have to be triggered by pressing one key, look how nicely it was done in Smookie mod below; then you, again, in one complex, but intuitive movement, and quite quick, lean from behind of it with your weapon ready, place a couple of shots and spring back behind a cover.

Here how it was done in Smookie mode, and how it is has to be done, actually:

1:56 - you are sticking to the wall, very neatly and without any hassles and rediculous "dancing" forth and back, in one precise move lean from behind a corner to place a couple of shots. You also can throw a grenade around the corner and even fire blindly by protruding tour arm out with a weapon. One man did something the whole company couldn't for many years. It's a real shame.

The scripting nature of such approach will remove all possibilities for input error, coming from clumsy, not granular enough controls (keyboard), and make it quick enough by removing any need to pre-position yourself in a very specific spot to stick out from behind a cover no more than the situation absolutely requires, not an inch more, which is crucial when you find yourself in CQB.

Edited by porko
  • Like 1