Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- NO DISCUSSION

Hi

Two menus in particular seem more than a little problematic.

The context menu: Anyone not blown themselves up by accident when sending an order via the context menu just as someone/thing crosses your FOV, the menu shifts and you inadvertently trigger the satchel charge you just placed by your feet?

The order of the main commands - move, etc - should be stable (fixed order) and any additional commands (e.g. from mods) appended to the list; also in a fixed order - any command currently inactive/unavailable is just greyed out.

In any event, the context menu 'cursor' should never move from one command to another except as a result of the player scrolling the mousewheel.

Menu 6 - the "action" commands - is a dogs breakfast at the best of times; in an urban environment it's more like the pooch's subsequent end-product.

For example, to get to the "gear" menu can mean going through several pages of "Open Door", "Open Door", "Close door", etc. (all utterly useless as no-one can possibly tell which door is which). That can & does get the player killed if, e.g., he/she is trying to pick up a missile launcher to get the tank that just mowed down half their squad.

Gear should be in a fixed position on the first page, and perhaps even more importantly, so should "Heal". These commands could be selected by touch-typing after a bit of practice even by players with little or no keyboard skills. The longer you have to take your eyes off the screen, the higher the chances of becoming dead.

Indeed, a further problem is that you may have more than one team-mate injured, but only one (and not necessarily the most badly wounded, bah!) appears in the list. If the second unit is out of sight there's no easy way to tell the medic to heal wounded #2.

When a medic is selected, "heal" options should list all wounded units - preferably by squad number/letter rather than role (nor. as in SLX, by names I can never remember) so that the player can specify to whom the doc, erm, rushes (or probably doesn't.. but that's a separate, engine issue). If the wounded could also be ordered in terms of the severity of their wounds, that would be great (worst hurt / most critical at the top of the list).

Stuff all the useless commands - open door, open door, open door, close door, light fire.... - down to the end of the menu (or better, in their present meaningless form, stuff them altogether).

BR

Orcinus

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

What is it with you people and your obsession with zombies, yeesh.

Oh and nice job calling something that a person or group of people make with hours of their free time shit, brownie points for you.

Or just send him some turd brownies :eek:

Jeez, what a graceless brat prat.

Edited by Orcinus
typo

-Snow map, falling snow.

-Continue using green landscapes with pointy evergreen trees -big reason maintain interest in Arma2

-A.I. that allows us to do more stealthy, in-close missions, day and night.

-A.I. that don't see you through grass and bushes.

-Guards smoking animations, more idle animations.

-Helicopter flight physics for mouse/keyboard use like in BF2 -the designer was a long time flight player and really nailed this!

-Better [english] voice acting, or none at all, just text.

-Categorized keyboard control assignment interface -i don't want to see anything about changing seagull commands when i just install the game -i need my head to explode only once a year or so (yes, i knew what the seagull is)

- ! Please, option to disable popup window for each keyboard shortcut change! This made me VERY (VERY! -my teeth were gritted) frustrated before i even started playing. [[[i use my left hand for the keyboard resting on the normal ASDF position which give me more keys around the immediate left side of my hand for complex games like Arma 2 - this also promotes quick typing and more instinctual number key use. This is a lot of keys to change. Also, the mouse re-centers i think each time?]]]

-3D support

-Mission generator which gives me full control of conditions, no waiting, (lifes too short, especially when your older im noticing...) no unlocking (or have that a separate challenge).

-More pre-made missions with no squad to help get the player into the game without having to learn all the squad functions. In OFP, i used to love that mission where you placed the charges on the road and waited for the trucks and BMP to come. Solo missions like that.

-Keep the super-high resolution function, thats cool!

-Option to disable the automatic brightness adjustment. (don't know what its called, the eye adjusting to light condition). Or be able to limit its effect, sometimes its way overpowered.

Heres an idea for the Ai: An Ai visual detection system based on actual color, possibly using an older secondary video card like PhysX can working in tandem with the game engine. It involves taking a low resolution screenshot of the player and randomly analyzing a sample of pixels around the player and comparing that to a random sample of pixels of the player and comparing the difference. Players with a separate video card could up the amount of sampling and the resolution of the shots and the amount of shots over time. The difference shouldn't be the only factor of course, player movement speed, Ai current awareness state, etc could factor in.

Biggest thing for me is the A.I. visual detection and general behavior. I just can't do what i want to do without a suspension of disbelief. The Ai are important, they are the only antagonists in a sand-box world.

Arma 3 is looking great, just saw some new video, but so did Arma 1 and 2, which i never played, just tinkered around with. Good luck and all the best.

Edited by Libertine

Realistic fire spreading and glass breaking would really add to immersion. In AII now, glass doesn't break at all (except on vehicles) and there's no fire system to speak of. When an incendiary hits a corn field, it should catch fire in seconds.

I think it would be a good idea to change the animations and movement system, coverage etc.. A good example of comparison would be Red Orchestra 2, where you can do things that have been integrated into Arma later with some mods. I think that from this side is better than Arma 2, so why not incorporate a similar or better?

- Kel-Tech KSGs Family.

ksg_tactical_le_nfa-tfb.jpg

- Kel-Tech RFB Sniper Rifle.

keltec-tfb.jpg

i would really like to see some British Forces in Arma3, Including armoured, infantry and airforce and navy.

-Rotor blades and aircraft props that do damage to players. Could be server option. (If its hard to implement for AI then let them pass through unharmed but human players would be killed)

-Rotor blades get destroyed if they hit anything while flying instead of making the helicopter spontaneously explode or bounce around.

For the love of god BIS please give the AI real AI this time. Running off into the path of the enemy or hugging each other untill a mortar takes out your entire squad is no way to go thrue battle.

Especially around buildings the AI acts like a bunch of retarted sheep, just running around corners and standing still like a lamppost whenever they encounter enemy AI.

Shooting directly from the vehicles as passenger would be really useful, also better admin tools and possibility for more than one admin login is a must.

And now for something completley different :p

Would like to see a new type of potential threat group that doesn't automatically lead to a cqb engagement until a certain line is crossed. Meaning Opfor and Blufor could encounter one another but at the same time be under order to not engage -how would this engine handle this type of tense encounter that could erupt at any time.

As it stands now, your Blufor approaches a village and as soon as eith side sees each other its a guarenteed firefight. Now imagine that you scoping thru a village with a bunch of Unknowns and all sorts of shit talking /posturing unfolds with the potential to fully escalate into unbridled firefight or maybe one shot never gets fired but tensions keep rising.

Would make new towns/cities/village alot more interesting imo. Think the movie Tombstone :D

Better collisions between separate objects and not just the ground; so, say, collisions between weapons and body armor, or arms and body armor, between legs, arms, etc. Not sure how this works or would work with the RV engine, but as an engineering major in college, I use Autodesk Inventor a lot for 3d modelling and animation, and there's some way that this program can recognize contact between two objects, so that when you try to rotate one object, it doesn't go through the other one. All the user has to do is turn on what's called a Contact Set, and select the parts that are in contact. As I said, not sure if this is possible in ArmA 3, but IF it were, that would make any collisions much more realistic.

Better effects pls!

Todays explosions look something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gjoRuOEMv4&feature=related (0:13sec)

Also the nightvision effects look a lot great in this vid and I am sure you can create the same immersion!

---------- Post added at 02:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

Better damage system and hit detection for vehicles - at least make the fundation better so mods like ACE2 are able to change more of this!

So lets say you create a basic damage system which has more potential than it uses - then I am sure some modders will bring it to a realistic levell if you got not enough recources to get it enough realistically into the game.

greetz

I would like the ability to "Lock Turret Forward". This way, when traveling in a vehicle with a turret, the commander, gunner, or driver (Whoever would issue such a command) could lock the turret facing forward.

A couple wearable watches, and to see the time instead of the 2d watch overlay, it would be neat if you put your gun in fire ready position and raised your arm up to read the time.

more place able wreckables in the editor, specifically helicopters that you can walk inside still, would be cool for search and rescue pilot missions.

Edited by Flash Thunder

Hey guys!

I have a suggestion on how to solve the problem, that gras is not rendered in distance.

The method of letting the soldier slide into the ground aims in a good direction I think - but it can be enhanced!

First - in Arma 2 it often appeared that u were completely invisible in high gras AT LOW TO MEDIUM RANGE while you were completely visible in distance (except for your body beeing drawn a bit under the map)

Now that this is a good idea - it was the same effect on every almost every ground!

I suggest you make this effect dependable of the kind of gras the soldier lays in! So the game notices that the soldier lies in extrem high gras! Therefore the body is drawn extremely down under the map. At some point this high, that you cannot even see him anymore because the gras hides him so well.

(maybe combined with the soldier beeing rendered a bit transparent - the higher the gras - so you can still spot him but it becomes way more harder)

Now laying down in cut gras will also lead into your body beeing drawn a bit under the map, but it will clearly be more visible.

This would be a recource friendly way of simulate different gras hights.

Also I would admit, that you keep some of the higher gras layers turned on on far distances. A sprite shouldnt be to much for a modern pc to be rendered at distance!

I hope you take a look at my suggestions!

Best greetz

Nordkindchen

Because I spent 6 months studying and travelling in Asia I was stuck with my ancient laptop that could barely run OFP:CWC (but alas, it did). Also my graphic card on my desktop at home was sufferring from bad overheating problem so I couldn't play Arma 2 for another 6 months until I bought a new one. Man, a LOT of OFP playing happened back then! Anyway, after I started Arma 2 I started noticing a few features I really miss, mainly these:

• Weapon pool - it was a great touch in OFP:Resistance campaign that you could pick weapons in one mission and they would transfer to another. It wasn't really necessary in Harvest Red or Arrowhead since you always had some kind of support/base to re-equip but since Arma 3 is about guerrilla warfare again this should make a return.
  • Team-mate count & skill transfer between missions - a great way to encourage players to take care of the team and not use them as cannon fodder. I imagine it something like this: after every mission you'll get only a maximum number of 2 replacement soldiers. You lose 10 in one suicide mission, it will take another 5 missions to get the full (but green) team back. Also, after every successfull mission the skill of all surviving AI could raise by, say, 0.15? Another reason to take care of the team. I don't think this small bit of RPG element would hurt the experience.
  • Team-mate skill information in mission info - I really liked the option to see the skill info next to my team-member's name in the notebook. You know, the "green, rookie, veteran..." It was extremely useful when deciding what weapons to give them. Giving an M21 to "n00b AI" was nothing but a waste of precious ammo and machinegunners were more likely to hit you than the enemy. On the other hand, expert sniper kept picking off enemies one by one, even the very distant ones, and the machinegunners... well... THEY WERE ON FIRE! I usually distributed four machine guns to the team and once they hit the ground and started their "R-R-R-R-RRRRRRRRR!!!!" no soft target had a chance.

Well, I got a little carried away... the nostalgia, Viktor Troska! :yay: I'm this close to getting into CWR2 thread and starting spamming "WHEN IS TEH RELASE DATE OF TEH RESISTANCE REARMED2?!1" ;)

Anyway, just my two cents...

In the Gear selection menu, for the launchers (i.e. Dragon, etc), when one clicks on that desired launcher I suggest that in the little description which appears down below it also names the specific missile that the launcher needs to be able to fire.

This is already done when one selects the munition itself, so why not do the same for the launcher?

This would be helpful especially for newer players who then quickly can ID the proper munition they will need to select rather than spend alot of immersion-robbing time scrolling through a huge list of items.

Simple one this, not sure if it's already been mentioned...

Working SatNav for vehicles just like in your real car :-)

Animals not being listed in the peripheral view

Using the Animal-life module and going hunting is a great pleasure in Arma 2 and I imagine it to be even better in Arma 3.

Unfortunately, their position is visible in the peripheral view, which reveals their position even when they are not actually spotted by the player's eye.

Removing the animals from the peripheral view system would not pose any problems, as this feature is useless in this case.

Tally Ho!

Game engine:

Server side option for wind effect on bullets would be nice.