Digger James

[Concept] MQ-56 Skua Aquatic Scout Drone + Possible Submarine

G'day Blokes and Shelias around the World, today I want share, with you,  a little project I've had on the back burner for the last few months, for the Obvious reasons; Lack of funds + absolutely no skills in Modding at all. So the reason I'm revealing it is because I want an Audience's opinion and see if there are Modders who want to give it a crack! be

So lets get to the reasons you clicked on this Forum!

*But first some Disclaimers; THIS DRONE IS COMPLETE FICTION THAT I CREATED, The other photo shown are taken off google and I don't own them (Obviously) Sencond, Please have leniency for the Concept art since the time it took to slap it together was 1 hour of dreaming it up before bed then 2-3 hours doodling in Microsoft paint* 

Concept Art: Skua Aquatic Scout Drone Part 1: SideConcept Art: Skua Drone Part 2: Top and Underbelly

Now, let me introduce you to the MQ-56 Skua, Multi-role Aquatic Scout Drone. Built with the the purpose of handling the standard UAV missions and a little bit more!

Armed with the "usual" UAV payloads i.e. GBUs, ATGM Hellfires & Laser designator. But it also comes with Combat Air Patrol capabilities Being the First Fixed-wing Drone with two AN/M3 50.cals, able to shoot as fast as the Infamous MG42, and the option to carry AASR Sidewinders. Let's list the full Payload & Missions it's good for;

This Ship-launched drone is capable of the following task; Close Air Support, Combat Air Patrol, Recon, Artillery Observer, Anti-Submarine Warfare.

MQ-56 MK1 (Stealth/Regular UAV)

• Radar
  • 2x AN/M3 50.cals, 1200RPM 1000 rounds per gun

Bombay capacity

• 2x GBU-12 Paveway II
  • 4x AGM-114 Hellfire
  • 2x AIM-9 Sidewinder

Concept Art: Skua Aquatic Scout Drone MK2 (ASW)

MQ-56 MK2 (ASW)

• Airborne Sonar
  • M3 50s, again
  • Hardpoint; MK 46 MOD 5 Homing Torpedo

Bombay capacity

• 2x AN/SSQ-47B Sonobouy
  • 4x AGM-114
  • 4x MK 34 Depth Charges (fictional)

Concept art legend

1. Clear cone window containing forward Pilot Cam and Radar Sensors/ Sonar for ASW Variant
  2.  Air intakes
  3.  2x 50.cal AN/M3 (RPM:1200) 1000 rounds per gun
  4. Retractable wings that roll foward then fold back along the side of the drone
  5. flaps and ailerons
  6. Prop Propulsion
  7.  twin tail rigging
  8.  Rudder
  9. the Aft wing tips, folds vertical
  10.  3x Elevators
  11.  Insignia as example

Underbelly

12. Targeting/Gunner Cam
    13. Weapons bay
    14. engine exhaust
    15. landing gear
    16. plane floats
    17. tail dragger landing gear
    18. MK46 Mod 5 Acoustic homing Torpedoe

Now how I figure how Sonar should be done is piggyback on the new Sensors Upgrade, futhermore the MK2s onboard sonar would be weak in strength but can be bolster when paired with some Bouys since they are stationary and transmit via radio, you get the idea, and most know how a bouy works; [see photo].

Anyway thats my pet project, well part one of it! (part 2 will go on my public feed)

Hope everyone has enjoyed my ideas & I hope to get good reviews and critiques of my UAV design!

(excuse any grammar that I missed, I'm picky about that)

With Regards

Digger James

13768398784_e0dc6b9953_b.jpg

• Like 3

Why don't you make the  X-47B or GlobalHawk,they have better look than your blueprint.

It's a concept that's for a ship launched Drone, not carrier-based, Besides A: The X-47 is technically already in-game as the Jets DLC "UCAV" & the Globehawk  is in the USAF mod so thats pointless B: as mentioned at the start I'm no modder, C: all drones you mention don't have M3 50.cals, AIM-9s, Sonar, Torpedoes and so on. Please read the whole thing throughly before jumping to comments mate, though it may look ugly, aesthetics are not important to tactical advantage!

Main thing is here that this is just a concept, it's all theory, this is why I posted this...

• Like 3

Now he didnt say he wanted to make the x 47 or the global hawk did he... he wants to do something involving his concept which i like the idea of but don't personally have time to assist but best of luck i reckon you'll have someone grab the handle and hop in the paddy wagon! 

• Like 2

I think it's great to bring your own concepts to life and enjoy doing it. Good luck with it!!

• Like 4

Good luck and think its a great idea to add something to the game that isn't there yet. Would be a good thing to be used to detect SDV's for possible combat divers in some scenarios.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nichols said:

Good luck and think its a great idea to add something to the game that isn't there yet. Would be a good thing to be used to detect SDV's for possible combat divers in some scenarios.

That's true, too

1 hour ago, spanishsurfer said:

Digger, did you ever begin/complete this?

Negative, it's only in art form, as mentioned I'm not a modder but I'd like someone to take the position and make it real, Once I get my channel off the ground I'll be piping that income into Youtube and mods mostly... just need commission cash for 2d animator & for the Artist who did my Cartoon face

• Like 1

1) How would airborne sonar work in the real world?!

2) Sonar is not modeled at all in arma, and thus could be a huge modding problem

11 hours ago, Ex3B said:

2) Sonar is not modeled at all in arma, and thus could be a huge modding problem

hey, good comment, it is a prototype (for now) so lemme mull it over for awhile. But look at it this way ARMA is not real life it's a game, Artistic liberties can be used, and let's not forget ArmA 3 is set in the 2030s so tech can be more advanced at those levels

15 hours ago, Ex3B said:

1) In real life there is no real airborne sonar, there are dipping sonars and sonobuoy

. The closest you would get to an airborne sonar would be this: https://www.deepreef.org/technology/52-lidar.htm

But it only penetrates 50-70m of water, what makes it only viable in coastal areas.

2) There are multiple ways to doing something in this regard.

First off you could just use lineIntersectsSurfaces, but that would just kill your fps.
Secondly you could use nearestObjects and calculate from there on the angle, distance and visablity.