jVkD9k4D9t.png

===========================

[UCM] Utilities Construction Mod

===========================

I'm pleased to announce the release of the Utilities Construction Mod. This mod allows to quickly add construction areas in your missions for pipelines, railways, electric lines, and such.

Being a fan of milsim, the main reason I developed this mod was to give an objective purpose for staying in specific areas, especially for persistent servers. Having a lot of small tasks such as the ones that ALiVE gives you it's really great, but having (for instance) a pipeline to build qualifies the presence and gives specific time limits for a faction to be in an area.

Video Trailer

Video Tutorial on how to use the mod

A few images

A6oBBNpFTd.jpg

hG5AD8tDw3.jpg

tUtSod5wyP.jpg

lepMTwLVGe.jpg

Find UCM on:

A sample mission can be downloaded from here.

Dependencies:

UCM does not need ACE3 to run, but if enabled the Interaction and Cargo functionalities will the the ones of ACE, otherwise they will default to enhanced vanilla ones.

Please note that this mod is still in beta. Some changes and bugs are to be expected. 

Thanks to W4lly63 and 2RGT Hollywood  for their help in alpha-testing.

Comments and feedback welcome.

_SCAR

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I had the pleasure to try it out first .... great job like all your work ... :-)

• Like 1

Well well. Isn't this something. The video is incredible. Thanks for doing this. Could be a real game changer as this develops. 

I've felt Arma has really lacked on giving players alternatives to shooting things. Especially in long term persistent campaigns with a civ element. The construction and humanitarian side of war is something that's so drastically underdeveloped within the community, it's really great to see you taking on this task.

• Like 2

Thank you @HeroesandvillainsOS. We'll see if this gathers interest for additional development.

Right now the main feedback I got is from some EXILE players, asking to make the ACE dependency optional.

Juicy mod Scar! I'll try to develop some missions with Alive for our clan.
Grazie!

• Like 2

Is it possible for the construction part to be done by players instead of AI?

As a mission maker for a milsim community, i would be interested in combining this with missions where player engineers have to be protected whilst they build pinelines for a civilian town or something to that effect. But AI can be tricky to corral to where you want them to. 

4 minutes ago, -ben- said:

Is it possible for the construction part to be done by players instead of AI?

As a mission maker for a milsim community, i would be interested in combining this with missions where player engineers have to be protected whilst they build pinelines for a civilian town or something to that effect. But AI can be tricky to corral to where you want them to. 

I guess you'd like a interaction system where players can build a pipeline and stay close? This mod only allows for AI currently.

Just now, _SCAR said:

I guess you'd like a interaction system where players can build a pipeline and stay close? This mod only allows for AI currently.

Yeah probably using the already integrated ACE interaction, have a progress bar fill up and play an animation that the AI are currently playing. That would be the simplest approach, if you wanted to go further in depth by adding different "components" to each piece that need to be fitted together, that would be up to you.  

Got it, but this is not the purpose of this mod. You are referring to mechanisms closer to other mods such as EXILE. This can complement it. 

Fair enough, if it's out of scope of what you want to do then, it's out of scope. My original post was just inquiring as to if you had plans to expand out the player driven functionality. If you don't then that's fine. I think its a pretty cool logistical addition regardless.  :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -ben- said:

Fair enough, if it's out of scope of what you want to do then, it's out of scope. My original post was just inquiring as to if you had plans to expand out the player driven functionality. If you don't then that's fine. I think its a pretty cool logistical addition regardless.  :)

And I thank you for taking the time to provide feedback :)

2 hours ago, foxhound said:

The Armaholic mirror has been updated with the new version:

news_download_a3_3.png
[UCM] Utilities Construction Mod v0.8

Thank you foxhound, though I have to say that I find *very* confusing the random version numbers that Armaholic assigns.

Version numbers are the ones on github. :)

• Like 1

Version number on github is 0.8. Version on Armaholic is 0.8

No idea what is confusing about that to be honest :)

3 minutes ago, foxhound said:

Version number on github is 0.8. Version on Armaholic is 0.8

No idea what is confusing about that to be honest :)

Right. But for instance there's no v0.6, and in other mods of mine you increase the numbers regardless of what's in the CfgPatches class (for instance, Kastellorizo) :)

Anyway... no big deal. I was just curious. Thanks for your work.

3 updates have been posted on Steam. I simply counted back.

I know project management since Steam has become totally absolete (please read below!) but since people compare our version updates to steam updates to see if we are up to date I increase version number as many times as steam updates are issued.

If no version number is provided most of the times(!) I increase an additional number within the latest version number. Or in cases like this I count back.

No critics on your personal way of updating at all and/or your personal work. Just have a look at SWS updates and you will quickly see versioning has become something of the past mostly.

I simply adapt to make sure I know our updates are on par with SWS as so can others.

1 hour ago, foxhound said:

I simply adapt to make sure I know our updates are on par with SWS as so can others.

Understood.

I've watched the video but there are still a few questions :

a, Is it possible to build only on fixed positions (where i have composed the stuff in the editor) or could you add a funktion to build the stuff on a variable position (e.g. current player position or a marker on the map)

b, Am i right, that currently only one composition is possible to be built ? It would be great to create several compositions and then let them built by selecting them in a list at the fore man.

c, Are you planning to integrate an (optional) automated worker "delivery" system ? So that the transportation of workers is not necessary anymore if the player / GM / Zeus does not want to waste time for it.

Long story short... i really like the idea and the way this mod is built up. Thumbs up.

5 hours ago, linuxmaster9 said:

now to make it so that when you run power lines to a town or base, the lights come on.

You can use the existing events to do so, this is outside the scope of the mod. But it is a great idea.

2 hours ago, gwiddik said:

I've watched the video but there are still a few questions :

a, Is it possible to build only on fixed positions (where i have composed the stuff in the editor) or could you add a funktion to build the stuff on a variable position (e.g. current player position or a marker on the map)

b, Am i right, that currently only one composition is possible to be built ? It would be great to create several compositions and then let them built by selecting them in a list at the fore man.

c, Are you planning to integrate an (optional) automated worker "delivery" system ? So that the transportation of workers is not necessary anymore if the player / GM / Zeus does not want to waste time for it.

Long story short... i really like the idea and the way this mod is built up. Thumbs up.

a. It can hardly be variable, since the result would rarely line up correctly. This is why you first have to build everything in the editor, to your liking.

b. you can have multiple different construction areas at the same time. Though, every area would have its own foreman, workers, landing zone, etc.

c. haven't thought of it yet. The whole idea was to have military accompany workers.

Due to many requests, ACE is now optional.