esfumato

Is BIS going to still developing Arma 3 after Tanks DLC?

It would make sense to use a similar timeframe- this way, existing assets can be reused and don't have to be completely remade.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2017 at 3:15 PM, jakerod said:

What makes you think that?

Pretty sure only the Dev team (and maybe a few others) know and there is nothing that I have seen that indicates any type of time frame. Pretty sure anything anyone says now is just wishful thinking.

It's pure speculation on my part. 

With the new third party DLC announcement today, it makes me think that A4 could be 3 or more years out, and this new strategy it to keep the community active. 

5 hours ago, lexx said:

It would make sense to use a similar timeframe- this way, existing assets can be reused and don't have to be completely remade.

I agree that would save time, and development costs, however....

Arma 4 could be 7-8 years after Arma 3's release, I think people will want a new game, with a new storyline, and all new assets. 

I was thinking we would get an official A4 announcement sometime in 2018, but now I'm thinking it could be longer, again, that's pure speculation on my part. 

4 minutes ago, stburr91 said:

It's pure speculation on my part. 

With the new third party DLC announcement today, it makes me think that A4 could be 3 or more years out, and this new strategy it to keep the community active. 

I agree that would save time, and development costs, however....

Arma 4 could be 7-8 years after Arma 3's release, I think people will want a new game, with a new storyline, and all new assets. 

I was thinking we would get an official A4 announcement sometime in 2018, but now I'm thinking it could be longer, again, that's pure speculation on my part. 

Nah, we love our Armaverse timeline. You can have a new story within a timeframe, like Apex. 

2 minutes ago, M. Glade said:

Nah, we love our Armaverse timeline. You can have a new story within a timeframe, like Apex. 

I agree, you could of course have a new storyline in the existing timeframe, but being that A4 will likely come out 7-8 after A3, I think most people will want a completely new game, will a completely new storyline, and all new assets. I mean after 7-8 years, people will want something completely new. 

ETA, I'm not opposed to A4 staying in the 2030"s timeframe, as long as we get many new assets, and the new storyline that is good.   

At least I am glad they have left the "Early Acces" strategy.

They will go for doing a new game engine and finishing Day Z. In the mean time, I am glad that with the third party DLC's and the BIS updates they will have everything in tune for their next games.

For me, all good news.

Also, I have to say that most of the Third Party DLC's that are worth buying, are the Famous Mods that are already available. For me.

ACE3, Advanced Combat Environment

Removing all those horrible Menus I'm in with more realism into arma 3.

CUP, Community Upgrade Project

Even since the alpha of Arma 3 people wanted to port the terrains and campaigns to arma 3, So if they manage to solve the issues like the water ponds, and update the content and textures I gladly would buy this. Arma 2 and previous correctly ported. Also... Bring back the CTI game mode to arma 3.

Red Hammer Studios

FFAA Fuerzas Armadas

Unsung Vietnam

And many more...

We'll be looking to select and publish new projects, but also existing projects that would be able to scale up in quality/quantity as a result of being published as a premium DLC. However, we'll always insist that any existing free Arma 3 addons and mods remain free. In other words, third-party DLC we publish should never replace something which was previously free.

To this, Lets say ACE MOD version 1.0 is free and remain free at steam workshop. But ACE DLC version 2.0 is paid content... for me no problem at all, you can choose.

Lastly, we know from experience how difficult it can be to bring a project to completion. With that in mind, we currently anticipate that probably only a few third-party premium DLC packs will get published each year. Our intention is to ensure a steady flow of exciting new Arma 3 content over the next few years, while also making sure not to clutter the game with an excessive amount of premium DLC.

To this, If I am not forced to download and update this content... who cares if there are hundred of third party DLC's each year, I will buy update the ones I want or any at all.

New Third Party DLC's that are not available right now That I would like to buy.

A really authentic Military Multiplayer Game Mode.

No Money, No experience, No choosing your favourite weapon, just winning or loosing shooting... Teamplay...

As tanks DLC is going to be the last big update for Arma 3.

I want to start a debate about the game. I like that the tanks and vehicles are going to have 3D interiors, probably some single player missions for the Tanks DLC. But I'm worried about that Arma 3, don't have a good set of vanilla multiplayer game modes.

Once you have played all the single player content, there is no more to do in Arma 3. Yes, you can play more single player missions from the workshop, But I think that as we are having no more updates and we are going to be several years until bohemia finishes the new engine, DayZ and they finish Arma 4, it is going to be a necesity to have some good Multiplayer game modes that work good for Arma 3.

It is not needed to be very complex modes, just copying some modes in the style of Rising Storm Vietnam and so on could do the trick.

MP game modes for planes.

MP game modes for Tanks.

MP game modes for infantry.

MP game modes that mixes everything in the style of the Arma 2 Capture The Island.

Some game modes similar to the ones that Project Argo have, but with a bigger scale...

Please, no money, purchasing or levels and so on. Just join select a class / role and play.

ArmA3 is aging, shoud stop developing any new DLC or Expansion, focusing all energy on the ArmA4 pls.

• Like 2

Agree. Don’t touch the engine, let modders feel some consistency and focus on bringing Arma 4 out sooner than later ;)

It seems that we are quite a few years away from Arma 4.

A3 is almost 5 years old (since alpha release) if we are looking at 2-3 years until A4, wow, it could be 8 years between releases. 

6 hours ago, stburr91 said:

It seems that we are quite a few years away from Arma 4.

A3 is almost 5 years old (since alpha release) if we are looking at 2-3 years until A4, wow, it could be 8 years between releases. 

Nothing wrong with waiting a couple years for ArmA 4 to be developed on a new engine. I'd prefer if BIS releases at least one more major expansion for ArmA 3 before sweeping it under the rug. BIS has shown that they can improve ArmA 3 without making a new title. Just look at the Eden editor and finally being 64bit. 

ArmA 3 still has plenty of potential for expansion. History has shown this.

• Like 2

I'm glad to know the content that Tanks DLC is going to offer. They have even included a new Multiplayer Game Mode!, In my opinion... a little bit similar to end game and capture the flag, but at least is something.

For those that want arma 4 I think that you will be disappointed. The new engine is not finished yet, and the first game to be released in the new engine is going to be DayZ. So expect 2 more years to finish DayZ and maybe another 2 more years for Arma 4.

Honestly I just got back into Arma3 (KotH) and just discovered the RHS servers. This will keep me occupied for a long while. 

I tend to favor gameplay over graphics. I will play games for years and years (with breaks of course). I played Rome: Total War for what feels like a decade. 

Honestly if A4 was only a slight graphical improvement BUT opening and closing doors wasnt so suicidally-frustrating, and your character could actually walk up stairs like a human or you didn't constantly clip through walls and floors, I'd buy that.

Oh and how could I forget the HORRID driving physics. 

Fix all that and call it Arma4 and I'd pay for it.

Those are what they need to focus on. For once I would like to play a Arma that felt polished and not just the best milsim with rough edges we all just take for granted...

• Like 2