esfumato

Is BIS going to still developing Arma 3 after Tanks DLC?

1 hour ago, FirstPanic said:

Well... I keep fingers crossed that A4 will not take 3-4 years.

Since DayZ already as the majority of the Enfusion engine down pat, its up to BI to add the Arma 3 specific additions such as

1) Tank support + Physics

2) Rocket/Bomb support + Physics

3) Fixed wing support + Physics

4) etc etc

In other words, the shit DayZ wouldn't have, BI would most likely need to add since obviously you don't need Main Battle Tanls, FLIR pods and JDAMs on DayZ haha

I reckon maybe 1 year to 1 1/2 years from announcement before maybe Alpha/Beta if BI go down that road. 

10 hours ago, ProfTournesol said:

The gaming world doesn't evolve only around mupliplayer base.

+1

Many games that were very good in solo just lost themselves when they focused on MP.

19 hours ago, ProfTournesol said:

The gaming world doesn't evolve only around mupliplayer base.

Hmm... Steam statistics is not showing MP... it's showing Arma usage (MP + SP)... and there is a strong downtrend which I expect to go on.

But that's just my personal opinion :-)

2 hours ago, FirstPanic said:

Hmm... Steam statistics is not showing MP... it's showing Arma usage (MP + SP)... and there is a strong downtrend which I expect to go on.

i never pay attention to steam stats, the community was fine before we had steam. :f:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

i never pay attention to steam stats, the community was fine before we had steam. :f:

Hmm... I hope that BIS thinks different... ignoring Steam stats would mean to ignore the business and player/community realty ;-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FirstPanic said:

Ah, ok then , i stand corrected. For such an old game, it seems great to me, even if it's decreasing, which is quite obvious after sometimes, despite the DCL's. I for myself do not play ArmA3 each day, but from times to times, depending on mods or DLC or my mood. But i never quit playing it (nor ArmA:CWA), contrary to most of other games i play.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FirstPanic said:

Hmm... I hope that BIS thinks different... ignoring Steam stats would mean to ignore the business and player/community realty ;-)

if BI would listen to "community" and "the majority of players", they'd make a "life" game next, stop all modding, rent servers directly to "clans and groups" and sell "addons" for 1$ a pop...

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

if arma4 is enfusion + RHS content (literally AAA quality and attention to detail grounded in knowledge) + the engine improvements already made for arma3  +  better animation system (dayz still feels unresponsive and klunky imo)  then it'd be pretty much the game of the decade easily.

On 9/25/2017 at 5:57 PM, ProfTournesol said:

This game is a perpetual work in progess, that's because the studio is dedicated to their game, if you dislike that, you should buy the gazillion of other franchises where games are abandonware after the first release, or so. That said, OFP and Arma2 are stable platforms now :teeth:

Of course it's perpetual work in progress, it was launched as an early access type of game, you do need to add stuff to finish it.

On 9/25/2017 at 6:08 PM, inlesco said:

Exactly. The best recent example from large studios would be Mass Effect Andromeda.
Fixed all the stuff they saw as important (in some cases, not even addressing the issues the community sees as critical) and what next?
Goodbye, fellas. Until the next game, until our next chance to milk everything we can out of you ;)

To be fair, ArmA 3 has lots of problems, starting from performance, to glitches, interface, AI, gameplay, etc. Just because the hardcore community doesn't mind that, it doesn't mean they don't exist. Player Unknown capitalized of the shortcomings of the MP in ArmA and made it great in its own way, while ArmA still struggles.

Bohemia are following a recipe that works for them currently, but it's not going to bring in a stream of new, constant players unless the game will seriously improve with the next iteration. :)

48 minutes ago, calin_banc said:

Of course it's perpetual work in progress, it was launched as an early access type of game, you do need to add stuff to finish it.

To be fair, ArmA 3 has lots of problems, starting from performance, to glitches, interface, AI, gameplay, etc. Just because the hardcore community doesn't mind that, it doesn't mean they don't exist. Player Unknown capitalized of the shortcomings of the MP in ArmA and made it great in its own way, while ArmA still struggles.

Bohemia are following a recipe that works for them currently, but it's not going to bring in a stream of new, constant players unless the game will seriously improve with the next iteration. :)

To be fair, comparing a complex sandbox game such as Arma 3 to PUBG is very unfair. Its similar to everyone comparing the core game to Day Z when that title was all the rage. Arma 3 and PUBG is comparing Sand box military tactics to a timed survival game. Players who invest in their PC games and those who are looking for shorter periods of stimulation.

As has been mentioned, BI continue to fix genuine glitches and make improvements, Do they have to? No and they should be thanked for their ongoing effort. I also disagree with your opinion of the 'problems'

• Performance - usually comes donw to the 'over-enthusiasm' of players. Generally speaking for the size of worlds and depth ofgameplay, it runs pretty well.
  • Interface - ???
  • Gameplay - Its a sandbox (??)
  • AI - Sure, as with any game its an issue. but certainly no worse than most of whats out there.

We'll toodle along getting the MANY hours from Arma 3 until the next incarnation comes along and wait for that round of feedback and critique to throw at BI. In the meantime we have this thread :dontgetit:

• Like 2

It's a fair comparison because that "mod" of the multiplayer of the game offers about the same experience as PUBG, but will less performance and a bunch of glitches.  You nail down the technical issues, this can be PUBG, BF, whatever you wanted to be. Until then it's just a great concept with an outdated implementation.

Performance is not at all ok, it doesn't have to do with "too big" anymore, it has to do with the developer's will to invest in the technical part - and in a way, I understand, since it's a product quite at its life end, really.

Take Witcher 3 for example (just to show that is not a technical impossibility), in Novigrad, if you increase the number of AIs, the load on the CPU increases and thus you can differentiate between a lower core/dual core CPU, which is fine in a less demanding area, and an I7 (4c8t CPU). In ArmA when you increase the AI count, because the game is badly threaded, performance drops although you have the resources (see also Ashes Of The Singularity which scales great and is an RTS game). Same aspect is true in other aspects of the general "performance issue" subject.

Interface: well, the action menu, inventory, pretty much everything needs an overhaul. It's a pain to manage your loadout and the loadout of your buddies (AI). I find it much much easier to control my squad mates in other games.

Gameplay: shooting from vehicles incompletely and artificially limited to just some situations/positions, glitches like getting stuck more or less serious in different objects, no way to properly go over walls, climb stuff and other actions, animations issues which got me killed more than once (stuff like your character beginning to load a gun while standing straight up or crouched when I pick up a missile/rocket and not move at all; starting to go "up" one of those small walls on the terrain while it should get "stuck" in it, etc.), lack of civilian life/activity (which is connected to the capabilities of the engine), artificial limiting how many weapons and how you can carry them, no way to be undercover while using the uniform of a different faction (like it was initially presented and never got in the game) and I could go on...

AI: it depends on your interactions with it per game. I don't mind and observe that often it's simple and not that complicated in your everyday game due to the nature of interaction in those games, but when each bullet can kill you or them and you tell them to do one thing which they still can't do as they should, it's slowly pushing me away and you start to see every problem...

Don't get me wrong, love the game (or to be more precise, the idea behind it), have more than 700hrs in it, mostly in SP, I plan to upgrade also mainly based on the series performance on current hardware, but I can't be ok with the state the game is now and I truly can't find any other way than "they should" when we talk about Bohemia constantly supporting the game. I don't see any favor when they add stuff I think it should already be in - and I have the same mindset when I think about other games as well.

Anyway, I hope they'll address most of these issues (if not all - one can hope) in ArmA 4. Besides this and Star Citizen, there isn't another game out there that aspires to be something special - at least from my point of view. :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

For all its flaws, the game is still the only one in its genre. I can't imagine playing the sort of online-community game I enjoy in another title.

Many of the issues listed off in this thread are valid, but I feel a lot of it has to do with the sandbox nature of the game that tries to allow as many different variations of ArmA to be played. Sometimes, developing features in more detail might restrict our ability to bend the game to our wishes.

• Like 5

Guys, Jay said that there will be free platform improvements after Tanks DLC.

Tanks DLC means the last bit of PAID content, not the last asset coming from BIS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M. Glade said:

Tanks DLC means the last bit of PAID content, not the last asset coming from BIS. 

Content is Paid (weapons, vehicles, terrains,Missions...) and features or upgrades are free. So If nothing changes there is not going to be any new content for Arma 3.

• Confused 1

Just now, esfumato said:

Content is Paid (weapons, vehicles, terrains,Missions...) and features or upgrades are free. So If nothing changes there is not going to be any new content for Arma 3.

So you're saying Malden is not a free platform update? :rock:

There were many free updates which brought more (like you said) content, BIS never stated that they'd cease these updates which some of them mind you are essential to improve the game and eradicate bugs. 

8 hours ago, M. Glade said:

I missed where Jay said there would be new platform updates after the Tanks DLC, where can I find Jay making that statement? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ProfTournesol said:

I missed it too.

58 minutes ago, stburr91 said:

I missed where Jay said there would be new platform updates after the Tanks DLC, where can I find Jay making that statement? 

This also has been reiterated on the A3 blog posts. 

• Like 1

I thought I read that after the Tanks DLC there was not going to be any more updates, only maintenance for the platform.  

Situation Report 202
https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00202

"...Now that we've turned most of our focus onto our next Roadmap goals, it's also fair to briefly address Arma 3's future. For example, our Dev-Branch ninjas might have noticed that the number of daily additions has decreased over these past weeks. This is simply because, even though we still support Arma 3 with a dedicated team of developers, we also need to steer some of our efforts into the direction of developing key new technologies, such as the Enfusion engine. This means that, aside from a couple of new features as part of the Tanks DLC, you should not expect any massive changes to Arma 3's core platform moving forward. However, there's absolutely no need to worry about Arma 3's future, because we still have people dedicated full-time to fixing bugs and increasing stability. Plus, we'll still be adding more content in our upcoming DLC - and of course not to forget all the amazing mods and addons that are still being released by our community on a daily basis!..."

• Like 1

No BAF DLC for Arma 3?

Shameful BIS, please don't start shitting Arma's out like COD games bloody hell we can only just play ARMA2 MSO in Fallujah with todays technology running epic FPS.

You would have to purchase an i9, overclock its arse off with some triple water loop to play Arma 3 at fluid FPS and you want to kick out Arma 4?

BIS we don't have your CPU's.

No to Arma 4.

2 hours ago, esfumato said:

Situation Report 202

What are you looking for mate? 30 new maps, 85 new factions?  We have a highly developed game here, I for one was here since the Alpha build and holy hell theres been many great developments. When you asked for features I thought you meant some Eden tweaks and some improved gameplay, not completely new from scratch assets etc.

If you can't do what you want to with vanilla make you're own mod, this game is built off community made expansions and nothing is stopping you from that. Christ, there are 10 DLCs and you're still asking for something more... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, esfumato said:

Situation Report 202

Yes, that's what I remember reading, and my memory was correct, only maintenance to the platform after the Tanks DLC.

6 hours ago, JOHN007 said:

No BAF DLC for Arma 3?

Shameful BIS, please don't start shitting Arma's out like COD games bloody hell we can only just play ARMA2 MSO in Fallujah with todays technology running epic FPS.

You would have to purchase an i9, overclock its arse off with some triple water loop to play Arma 3 at fluid FPS and you want to kick out Arma 4?

BIS we don't have your CPU's.

No to Arma 4.

Arma 4 will most likely be at least 2-3 years from a release, while I'm sure A4 will have the usual problems at release, I'm confident it will be playable.

Just out of curiosity, what time frame do you guys think A4 will be set in?

I'm thinking it will be set in the years around 2020-2025.

3 hours ago, stburr91 said:

I'm thinking it will be set in the years around 2020-2025.

What makes you think that?

what time frame do you guys think A4 will be set in?

Pretty sure only the Dev team (and maybe a few others) know and there is nothing that I have seen that indicates any type of time frame. Pretty sure anything anyone says now is just wishful thinking.