esfumato

Is BIS going to still developing Arma 3 after Tanks DLC?

With this SITREP. I have wondered. Are they going to stop development of Arma 3. I mean, the creation of new DLC's and more content during 2018-2019.

Or are they going to close it and start new games.

Now that we've turned most of our focus onto our next Roadmap goals, it's also fair to briefly address Arma 3's future. For example, our Dev-Branch ninjas might have noticed that the number of daily additions has decreased over these past weeks. This is simply because, even though we still support Arma 3 with a dedicated team of developers, we also need to steer some of our efforts into the direction of developing key new technologies, such as the Enfusion engine. This means that, aside from a couple of new features as part of the Tanks DLC, you should not expect any massive changes to Arma 3's core platform moving forward. However, there's absolutely no need to worry about Arma 3's future, because we still have people dedicated full-time to fixing bugs and increasing stability. Plus, we'll still be adding more content in our upcoming DLC - and of course not to forget all the amazing mods and addons that are still being released by our community on a daily basis!

I know that the development of DAY Z have been pretty, pretty long, and have to be concluded in a hurry. But at least for me. Arma 3 needs a lot of work still. I mean, I see no reason to develop an Arma 4 game no matter they have a "new enfusion engine" if we have to start suffering again all the bug madness that Arma 3 sufered from the start.

• Like 2

Possibly bug fixes and misc items, but like they said nothing totally core changing.

What I think is that a lot of Arma 3 stuff is updated with the dlc's and plattform updates to also work in future games. My guess is that this Arma tech will  later be merged with the new enfusion engine, which then will allow things like melee combat, better medical systems and a lot more of features that will come with the new engine but keeping the arma military core features that are not included in the new engine atm. Also we see them testing a lot of features and gameplay modes. So yeah I think as long as enfusion is not final they keep on  creating and upgrading stuff which will then maybe included in Arma4. 

Yup, the sitrep seems quite clear to me : Tank DLC is the last Arma3 DLC - or so - and the dev team is to be reduced to the minimum for game maintenance (which is still great imho). I'm looking forward the next installment on Enfusion engine.

• Like 9

I'm pretty sure they are already working hard on (pun intended) Arma 4.

• Like 1

Yeah only makes sense to channel resources to Arma 4. But A4 is dependent on the Enfusion engine which is developed for/by DayZ. By following dev-blogs for DayZ (will they ever finish?) we can basically also extrapolate the fourth coming of Arma :smile_o:

https://dayz.com/dev-hub

We could be entering an interesting time. In one way it's great that no major changes will be made to the engine, modders won't have to worry about updates breaking stuff which could lead to new mods! 

The downside, it's been confirmed we're heading towards Arma 4 and as much as any of us love Arma 3, we'll be casting an eye to the new game and wonder exactly when we can get our hands on it.

Then of course you have the long alpha and beta stages until we all roll over to the new title:)

But to answer the original question, I would think BI will do what they can with Arma 3 to keep the player base alive and well, while trying to put as much manpower on the the next project so they can sell us that one when its ready :)

• Like 1

I have that impression too. Tank DLC= last DLC. I would expect 2 years minimum after tank DLC until Arma 4... Or 5 years if they decide to do another enfusion based game first instead.

• Like 1

They actually mentioned Enfusion on the last sitrep - Arma 4 confirmed!!

That would be awesome -give us new AI nav mesh, slicker animation/transitions and im all over it

• Like 4

5 hours ago, froggyluv said:

They actually mentioned Enfusion on the last sitrep - Arma 4 confirmed!!

That would be awesome -give us new AI nav mesh, slicker animation/transitions and im all over it

Bugger that, I just want my dynamic lighting.

Shadows, actual freaking shadows!

• Like 1

I think it would be fantastic and wicked smart if BI developed an entirely new engine.  My wet dream features an engine that incorporates the latest features like dynamic global illumination, procedural destruction, advanced particle system, and dynamic material shaders, which allows the world to react to the game's constantly changing weather like in The Division. The introduction of visual scripting or Blueprints like in UE4 .would be a dream come true for all of us non-scripters out there. 

It needs to be cutting edge with room to evolve and should able to take advantage of the latest standards for years to come.

Scott Out !

• Like 1

My bet:

tank DLC will be the last one for ArmA 3.

We'll see no more expansion nor DLC after that.

However, BIS will work on their next engine - and when it's ready, work on ArmA 4.

That's just my thought though.

If development of the new engine takes a little longer than expected, we could see something thrown together along the lines of Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic . If I remember it correctly, not BI's finest moment for add ons :)

At least for me, I have no hurry to go for Arma 4. I still think that BIS always release their products pretty buggy, at least me, If arma 4 is realeased in the states of Arma 3 alpha or Day Z and just need 4 years to finish the game I will not buy it. I dind't bought Day Z when I saw how the development went with Arma 3.

And Also I am not going to buy Arma 4 if it is not released as a 100% finished game.

So for me if BIS is not capable to release a finihed product from the beginning they can't count with my purchases anymore.

So I am all for more DLC's and upgrades for Arma 3 instead of Arma 4.

Or in other words, just finish Arma 4 upgrading Arma 3 and when they have all the pieces together, create a new campaign, new assets and release it as Arma 4. but 100% functional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

there will be small part-time team acting as "lighthouse keepers" to keep the lights on, but no meaningful innovation or development. mainly maintenance, stability, bug fix and testing ground for ideas/technologies considered for new engine/title.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, esfumato said:

At least for me, I have no hurry to go for Arma 4. I still think that BIS always release their products pretty buggy, at least me, If arma 4 is realeased in the states of Arma 3 alpha or Day Z and just need 4 years to finish the game I will not buy it. I dind't bought Day Z when I saw how the development went with Arma 3.

And Also I am not going to buy Arma 4 if it is not released as a 100% finished game.

So for me if BIS is not capable to release a finihed product from the beginning they can't count with my purchases anymore.

So I am all for more DLC's and upgrades for Arma 3 instead of Arma 4.

Or in other words, just finish Arma 4 upgrading Arma 3 and when they have all the pieces together, create a new campaign, new assets and release it as Arma 4. but 100% functional.

You had me laughing at 100% finished game,

good luck with that. The whole point is to have a growing and developing platform constantly.

To make a game at that scale, you're not going to have "100% Functional" "100% Finished" "100% problem free"

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Midnighters said:

You had me laughing at 100% finished game,

good luck with that. The whole point is to have a growing and developing platform constantly.

To make a game at that scale, you're not going to have "100% Functional" "100% Finished" "100% problem free"

Well more or less wht they released with Arma 2. A whole campaign all the assets and several multiplayer game modes.

Is that too much to ask?

• Like 3

On 19-9-2017 at 7:59 PM, esfumato said:

But at least for me. Arma 3 needs a lot of work still.

I don't agree, I some area's they have worked to much on it already. There is the golden rule 'don't fix what isn't broken' and they are doing that now. Fixed wings is absolute horrid now compared to how it was. I can't even taxi a jet at 20km/ph, because with the slightest touch on the throttle the jet goes full speed. Well there is more messed up with the jets, but I don't want to rant.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, esfumato said:

Well more or less wht they released with Arma 2. A whole campaign all the assets and several multiplayer game modes.

Is that too much to ask?

It's absolutely doable, but who forced you to play Arma 3 campaign when only the 1st episode was released? Who forced you not to wait until the entire campaign is released and then you can through it without breaking the immersion with month-long breaks?
Exactly, nobody forced you to wait. It's a personal choice what and when to play. And you could've waited until all 3 camp. eps. are live and not uselessly complain here, IMHO.

Keep in mind that's there's always other people who want to try out the new stuff ASAP and they love tinkering around (if they've got time) with anything that's considered new and worth the investment.

I'd gladly play Arma 4 Early access just to see and feel how a new title, based on an entirely new engine, evolves over time in all of its aspects.
I'd gladly enjoy the much better performance (in both SP and MP) and modding capabilities as early as possible instead of waiting for another 3 years until BIS thinks they've got all of it done and it's time put out their outdated, no-longer-interesting and sought-after video game.

• Like 3

This game is a perpetual work in progess, that's because the studio is dedicated to their game, if you dislike that, you should buy the gazillion of other franchises where games are abandonware after the first release, or so. That said, OFP and Arma2 are stable platforms now :teeth:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ProfTournesol said:

This game is a perpetual work in progess, that's because the studio is dedicated to their game, if you dislike that, you should buy the gazillion of other franchises where games are abandonware after the first release, or so. That said, OFP and Arma2 are stable platforms now :teeth:

Exactly. The best recent example from large studios would be Mass Effect Andromeda.
Fixed all the stuff they saw as important (in some cases, not even addressing the issues the community sees as critical) and what next?
Goodbye, fellas. Until the next game, until our next chance to milk everything we can out of you ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inlesco said:

It's absolutely doable, but who forced you to play Arma 3 campaign when only the 1st episode was released? Who forced you not to wait until the entire campaign is released and then you can through it without breaking the immersion with month-long breaks?
Exactly, nobody forced you to wait. It's a personal choice what and when to play. And you could've waited until all 3 camp. eps. are live and not uselessly complain here, IMHO.

Keep in mind that's there's always other people who want to try out the new stuff ASAP and they love tinkering around (if they've got time) with anything that's considered new and worth the investment.

I'd gladly play Arma 4 Early access just to see and feel how a new title, based on an entirely new engine, evolves over time in all of its aspects.
I'd gladly enjoy the much better performance (in both SP and MP) and modding capabilities as early as possible instead of waiting for another 3 years until BIS thinks they've got all of it done and it's time put out their outdated, no-longer-interesting and sought-after video game.

Of course no  one forced me to buy the Arma 3 early acces.To be honest it was the first early acces game I ever bought, the first, and the last, just saying.

And i gladly paid the 25€ the early acces cost, but Opened it, joined a MP server with some Arma 2 port MP mision on, respawned as a bird, saw plenty of cheaters / hackers on server and dindt used it again untill first episode of the campaign was released.

Also I was optimistic about giving feedback at the feedback tracker to improve Arma 3 prevous to release and did one ticket to change the hellicopter controls. But at the end BIS have done his own schedule and his own priorities in this matter so going early acces and contribute with the development is not a big deal for me anymore either.

Don't pretend to say this is the best way to treat your franchises. And don't pretend me to buy the early acces game twice.

That is the reason why I dind't bought Day Z released on 2013 still 2017 and game is unfinished and counting. Glad to not bought that game.

And that is what I am saying. If you are not capable to release a finished Arma 4, just keep doing what you are capable of doing and keep releasing DLC's for Arma 3.

When you have everything up and running go for Arma 4. Use the features done in arma 3 do a new terrain, new campaign, new assets and you have your 2 million of satisfied customers paying the full price for the game, and waiting for Arma 5.

1 hour ago, ProfTournesol said:

Thanks for the tip, but I will buy what I please. If I want to buy every year a new FIFA 20XX game, that is up to me, not you or any company.

51 minutes ago, inlesco said:

Exactly. The best recent example from large studios would be Mass Effect Andromeda.
Fixed all the stuff they saw as important (in some cases, not even addressing the issues the community sees as critical) and what next?
Goodbye, fellas. Until the next game, until our next chance to milk everything we can out of you ;)

Good example of this was APEX expantion. At least my experience is that everytime a server change to Tanoa terrain, half of the server disconnect. So at least this leads me to think that the 30€ for a new terrain and 7 missions have not sold well. Still waiting to handle to play it on solo with no crash to desktop, because I haven't seen the cinematics or the story of the expansion at all because on coop everyone skips those to start the mission.

I am just giving my opinion, and I think that it could be helpfull for everyone, including BIS. not pretending to discourage people to buy their games, just to point out what me as customer pretend to get for my money.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, esfumato said:

Thanks for the tip, but I will buy what I please. If I want to buy every year a new FIFA 20XX game, that is up to me, not you or 

I'm not here to patronize you, i'm playing a lot of different games, including big AAA franchise, but i wouldn't still be here 16 years after OFP still playing an Arma game if this was another 'finished' fast food game. Arma is more a sandbox platform than a game.

• Like 2

I view ArmA as more of a platform for military game modes and mods. Me and my friends all agree that the modding community makes up for the price of the base game and DLC i dont know any other game that i can buy that has a community that creates and releases its own terrains, units, weapons, vehicles and equipment on the same scale as ArmA.

• Like 6