commando180

Virtual Reality ARMA - Oculus/HTC Vive

20 hours ago, andersson said:

I been reading up again thanks to this thread and I can find rift for a good price, but samsung odyssey seem to have better picture which imho would be worth it. But I havent tried them so I really dont know. I would prefer one that can be flipped up like the other wmr's, but screen is top priority for me..

No HMD screens are great thus far.  Going with WMR, you will miss out on Rift's ASW and ATW technology.  Go read up on it and see why us Rifters just keep smiling :)

• Like 1

Having tried Rift and WMR, I would disagree -- the increase in pixel density is definitely noticeable and that would be even more the case with the Odyssey. I'd even go far enough to say that it makes the difference between a novel experience and something that is actually sustainably playable. ATW is present in OpenVR (or an equivalent is at least), but yeah, FPS does need to be higher due to the lack of ASW. I find the trade-off makes sense for me as target spotting was really challenging in the Rift and I like to try to keep FPS high anyway. 

• Like 1

You can always turn up the supersampling to help, however WMR and Vive do suffer due to lack of ASW.  I love my Rift, and want MORE Arma experiences in VR.  Consumer Version 2 (CV2) Rift WILL be amazing, but we’ll have to wait.  Vive Pro (recently released) is a bad joke from HTC.

Kremator, how would you compare the odyssey with supersampling to rift with asw? I'm thinking target recognition, clarity, fov and overall immersion.

I can find relatively cheap rifts but have to wait some to get my hands on the odyssey which is also a bit more expensive.

Just a question. When you play Arma with VR, how do you cope with map, compass, and other keyboard bindings? I guess you can't have a 20 button mouse.

• Like 1

I cut out some of the foam around the nose from the Lenovo and can now see my keyboard. Otherwise, yes, it would be a nightmare! 

In terms of using supersampling to make up the difference, bear in mind you can also supersample WMR. Supersampled 1440p hardware beats supersampled 1080p hardware by a significant margin. There is also a version of ASW (called Motion Retroprojection) for WMR in the more recent SteamVR betas, which apparently does a great job. Once this goes stable (along with some other substantial performance increases in the upcoming Windows update), the only advantages of Rift over WMR as I see it are better sweet spot (for all but Odyssey) and much better controllers.

I like Rift and had one for a long time, definitely would have recommended it but really feel like WMR beats it in most respects for less money. Agreed that Vive Pro is a bit silly. 

Edit: there's also a third party face cushion thing that works too.

Edited by Incontinentia

21 minutes ago, Incontinentia said:

I cut out some of the foam around the nose from the Lenovo and can now see my keyboard. Otherwise, yes, it would be a nightmare! 

I can foresee a time where viewer products would include a version of the face-cushion that includes a transparent area at the bottom, specifically for keyboard/controller use.

^^ This is called Rift .... it ALREADY has a perfect nose gap for looking at the keyboard !

I can imagine the future of ARMA 4 with VR support.

Just imagine for a second u have a backpack, u can drop it from your shoulder and open it and pick stuff up like magazines, first aid kit, epipens etc. Same with compass/map just pick it up and hold it to your face to see whats going on :) Your watch you can move your arms to ur face to tell the time.

I still think VR Is the way forward, despite its difficulties! We have had over 17 years since OFP in 2001 of the same old same old better graphics game. It is time for new change!!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 7:22 AM, pierremgi said:

Just a question. When you play Arma with VR, how do you cope with map, compass, and other keyboard bindings? I guess you can't have a 20 button mouse.

Can you type without looking at the keyboard?

There's your solution, heh.

Cheers

12 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Can you type without looking at the keyboard?

There's your solution, heh.

Cheers

Mine is waiting for some Arma IV improvements... if any about VR.

• Like 1

Well, since VBS has already support for VR, there should not be any major reason why Arma wouldn´t have VR support as well. And for those who wonder how ever you could play Arma without keyboard and hundreds of different key combinations, think how things are done in real world. Use your hands/feet to do things, speech recognition (done already years ago by some mod makers) and so on. Sure, not everybody wants to get up on their feet, but then again, you can´t please everybody, ever. But, VR is here to stay, and its growing  rapidly, with or without Arma.

Maltti

• Like 2

I get very good results with vorpx since it supports real geometry 3d instead of fake 3d modi. Its important to set custom resolution higher than screen res of the hmd in arma3 config. With my dk2 (960 horizontal and 1080 vertical) I set in the arma3 config 1422x1600 and in arma3 profile the correct fov (with arma fov changer) and aspect ratio (roughly 4:5). With asw I can set objects distance to 2500, rest on high and standard and some AA. But its a lot of work to find all the right settings in vorpx.

To fly the ah64 longbow (nodunit&franze-mod) after learning to start up, make waypoints, handle the weapon systems in several youtube tutorials is a new level of gaming. For infantry sadly ironside is a little bit corrupted so you can only shoot with crossair or scope. I use my ultra old nostromo n52 to give my squad orders with macros.

@kremator

microsofts have implemented in the wmr´s something like asw, called motion reprojection.

• Like 2

Hi, I am working on VR integration to Arma and tested vorpX with it. vorpX give good graphic when you find right setting but it still far away from native VR graphic. So I started intergrating openVR to Arma 3. If anybody have idea about that please share with me.

• Like 3

Is it me or has Arma lost it's ability to handle custom aspect ratios entirely? Seems Direct3D with Vorpx no longer works. 

Edit: now fixed. 

There MUST be a way o implement native VR in Arma 3, VBS3 now has VR and im sure it's native, they only show it in vehicles, but still... there must be something we can do...

17 hours ago, Team SFS said:

There MUST be a way o implement native VR in Arma 3, VBS3 now has VR and im sure it's native, they only show it in vehicles, but still... there must be something we can do...

Nope, no real stereo possible without changes to the renderer. I assume that is what they added in VBS to get native support.

On 11.6.2018 at 3:48 AM, Nobi said:

Hi, I am working on VR integration to Arma and tested vorpX with it. vorpX give good graphic when you find right setting but it still far away from native VR graphic. So I started intergrating openVR to Arma 3. If anybody have idea about that please share with me.

I wrote a OpenVR implementation for A3 (complete tracking of all devices and vive tracker support) but still the lack of native stereo rendering makes this just a tech demo and nothing usable.

20 hours ago, NeoArmageddon said:

Nope, no real stereo possible without changes to the renderer. I assume that is what they added in VBS to get native support.

That's no longer the case, the current version of Vorpx has full geometry 3D for Arma 3. It works and looks just like native VR in any other application. See my post a couple of pages back. 

Just now, Incontinentia said:

That's no longer the case, the current version of Vorpx has full geometry 3D for Arma 3. It works and looks just like native VR in any other application. See my post a couple of pages back. 

I've been thinking about getting TrackIR (for ArmA and DCS mainly) in favour of a VR solution due to what seem like some pain in the arse issues with getting VR to work in ArmA after checking in on this topic every now and then. I've used TrackIR before with ArmA and was pretty impressed with it, but I'd love to go full VR with DCS. Seeing as I'd only buy one or the other at this point, is VR worth the hassle to use it in ArmA?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, beno_83au said:

Seeing as I'd only buy one or the other at this point, is VR worth the hassle to use it in ArmA?

If you want to use it for DCS and Arma, get a TrackIR. It has a direct integration and works as expected. 

Even if VR works with arma, there is no real input support besides mouse, keyboard and joystick and Arma is no game where you can play without viewing what keys you are pressing.

My TrackIR5 recently broke down and I will definitly buy a new one even though I own a Vive.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2018 at 3:59 AM, beno_83au said:

I've been thinking about getting TrackIR (for ArmA and DCS mainly) in favour of a VR solution due to what seem like some pain in the arse issues with getting VR to work in ArmA after checking in on this topic every now and then. I've used TrackIR before with ArmA and was pretty impressed with it, but I'd love to go full VR with DCS. Seeing as I'd only buy one or the other at this point, is VR worth the hassle to use it in ArmA?

On 11/17/2018 at 12:02 AM, NeoArmageddon said:

If you want to use it for DCS and Arma, get a TrackIR. It has a direct integration and works as expected. 

Even if VR works with arma, there is no real input support besides mouse, keyboard and joystick and Arma is no game where you can play without viewing what keys you are pressing.

My TrackIR5 recently broke down and I will definitly buy a new one even though I own a Vive.

You can use a VR or WMR headset in conjunction with OpenTrack and get great results (wear it like a hat or over an actual hat). I would definitely recommend trying that out before buying a TrackIR. I used my PSVR to test OpenTrack with Arma 3, loved it. Then I picked up a Samsung Odyssey+ for $300 when it was on sale...

I just bought VorpX and can say that Arma 3 has some serious potential if modders would take a look at making some custom HUD's and tweaking a few things to accommodate playing in VR...

• Like 1

if u read the start of this forum there was a guy who was doing exactly that......... but i dont know i think he just gave up which is a shame

On 3/25/2019 at 9:47 PM, commando180 said:

if u read the start of this forum there was a guy who was doing exactly that......... but i dont know i think he just gave up which is a shame

Yes... but it was a very simple addon. The main problem is that A3 is not designed for VR. All interactions with the environment and the interface needs to be adapted... also weapon handling would be completely different and controls in vehicles as well (switches, doors, etc.). So, a VR adaption would actually be a massive redesign of all models and the engine. However... if this would work, there would be no other system on the market with this capabilities. It would be as close as much to a full virtual "REALTY" and would beat nearly every other engine.

Unfortunately BIS decided to not focus on Arma anymore... too bad.

FirstPanic

Just wanted to update this thread.

I did test VR in Arma 3 with the CV1 using Vorpx. I have to say it was actually pretty good, despite the limitations of the engine. 

The only one main negative thing (which is probably a current issue) is the screen door effect (SDE) and issues when trying to see things from long distances....... at the moment its just not clear enough.........

Hopefully soon we should get a capable VR kit that will eliminate the SDE entirely, so that we can actually see as far as real life.

At the moment i dont care if we cant 'fully' use VR in arma 3. I know theres engine limitations, but at least having the thing working natively (with battleye) from a visual perspective is sufficient for me. 

Actually flying helicopters and jets with the joystick and using the VR headset is actually quite immersive (ok its not DCS simulator level, but sufficient for this game).

If BI released a VR dlc, i would probably buy it lol! I think the demand is still pretty low generally, and the industry is still maturing. No companies want to invest in a system as yet which would bring a lot of risk. I think we are still not quite there, but if we are to get VR working we need all the indie devs and modders to really pull some amazing stuff off. Its coming, but it will take time.

I can just think of the possibilities of VR in arma 3 though! Its actually endless! Now we have proper mods and Zeus, you can basically do whatever you want! If anyone can think of a limitation in arma 3 + VR right now let me know 🙂 I am pretty sure you cant because i am convinced everything and anything can be done in ARMA now.

• Like 1