Sign in to follow this  
Mowgli

Patch 1.90 does not fix the "flashing textures"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Samurai Smitty @ Dec. 17 2002,23:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why can't ATI or BIS figure out what is wrong?<span id='postcolor'>

If ATI previously corrected 8500 drivers to resolve the problem and the 9700's problems are with the drivers, what can BIS do if they're interfacing correctly? confused.gif

Are they 'interfacing' correctly? How do we know this?

Maybe the last ATI driver release helped make the 8500 more compatable with a 'strange' method of rendering.

Regardless, it don't work none too good. Just like my english.

Any helpful suggestions out there? biggrin.gif

The GPU in the 9700 is different. A new architecture. The legacy command calls are still in there, so its somewhat backwards compatible, but the GPU is a completely differnent implementation than the 8500.

The "good" news is it seems ATI is aware of the problem. What they are doing about it still a mystery though. I was gone for a week so I'm playing catch-up here.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mowgli @ Dec. 21 2002,08:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The GPU in the 9700 is different. A new architecture. The legacy command calls are still in there, so its somewhat backwards compatible, but the GPU is a completely differnent implementation than the 8500.

The "good" news is it seems ATI is aware of the problem. What they are doing about it still a mystery though. I was gone for a week so I'm playing catch-up here.<span id='postcolor'>

Do the Catalyst 3.0 drivers work any better for you?

I've seen reports of problems with Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast, Quake3 Arena, Serious Sam, and other OpenGL games, but supposedly Direct3D works great.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (hugo2020 @ Dec. 22 2002,01:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">where do you read that?

sources plz.<span id='postcolor'>

I can't tell you what the source is wink.gif

But trust me on this one, the source knows what is going on wink.gifxmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 21 2002,19:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But trust me on this one, the source knows what is going on wink.gif  xmas.gif<span id='postcolor'>

'cause he's been making a list and checking it twice?

try downloading DX 9.0 from Microsoft. i have a ATI VIVO 64 mb card and it seems to fix the green sky when having the Z buffer turned on. this may also fix your flashing texture problem.

"flashing textures" --> disable D3D T&L in OFP Options.. it's all smile.gif I have too Radeon9700Pro and same problem with Radeon8500 bevor.

Vladimir

I think all of the Radeon users have seen that advice before, but they aren't willing to accept that, nor should they.

They shelled out quite a bit of money for a product that just isn't very usable with the drivers that are being supplied.

Has anyone tried the Catalyst 3.0a drivers that just came out? Do they incorporate the fix that was mentioned?

I just installed an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro yesterday and had the flashing texture problem everyone describes ... I was running 1024x768x32. I increased my Resolution in OFP to 1600x1200x32 and it basically eliminated any of the texture flashing of the trees, bushes and roads. I guess the monster card don't like whimpy settings. Try it out and see if it helps .

As I have said before in another thread, according to the ATI guys over at Rage3D forum the problem has been solved so hopefully we will see it fixed in the next patch. CAT3.0a wasn’t really anything new, it just fixed the OpenGL “stuttering†problem that came with CAT 3.0