Ry4nD

Dedicated Exile Server Setup Simplified

Dedicated Exile Server Setup Simplified

Setting up an Exile server can seem daunting at first, I can assure it is not. I am providing this guide to help you set up a server quickly and efficiently. This guide is not meant to replace other guides out there or undermine other people’s contributions, this is just meant as an additional how to, simplified.

Spoiler

My server environment is virtual with Hyper-V, on a dedicated water-cooled server machine I have in my office laboratory. It will work on standalone boxes, or your own host, however I recommend Hyper-V. Additionally I use Windows Server 2016, other versions of 64-bit windows should work, Including Windows 10 home or Pro.

I will provide you with the files required and where to get them, and the steps you take for your server setup. This guide is based on a dedicated server setup, not a hosted setup, as different host providers use various organizational unit topology.
Your requirements are to follow the instructions exactly, if you fail to follow instructions, or alter the steps to reproduce the server, most likely you will fail.
Be prepared for some trial and error, and as always, no system is perfect. With my steps, I have been able to get a fully modded server up and running the first time with no errors in approximately 15 mins.
Ideally you want to read through this guide entirely first, and read through the additionally provided reading materials before attempting the steps to follow, once you feel ready, download the files and let’s begin.

Spoiler

Required reading
Read through the default server setup guide, to get an idea of what is possible. Don’t get distracted,
just give it a one over, and it’s a good place to check in, when something goes wrong.
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server

Spoiler

File Topology
3 Directories required. I will use the D: drive, however you can use any drive you want.
D:\A3Files
D:\Steamcmd
D:\Exileserver
Steps to reproduce Exile Server
1. Make sure your environment is up to date, if you use Windows Server 2016 run update, make
sure it is up to date. Additionally, ensure .Net 4.5 is installed.
2. Locate your Drive space and create file topology D:\A3Files D:\Steamcmd D:\Exileserver
3. Make sure you have already created a fake Steam account and Gmail for the server files, Do Not
Use Your Steam ID, if you have not done this stop now and do it.
4. Inside D:\A3File place the serverupdate.cmd found here
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server#Arma3server_steamcmd_exa
mple.cmd
File Example #1 filename serverupdate.cmd You need to create it!
Contents of file start as a text document and save as all file type changing name to serverupdate.cmd
Also highlighted will be the information you need to change that is unique to you!
@echo off
@rem http://media.steampowered.com/installer/steamcmd.zip

SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
:: DEFINE the following variables where applicable to your install
SET STEAMLOGIN=mylogin mypassword
SET A3serverBRANCH=233780 -beta
:: For stable use 233780 -beta
:: For Dev use 233780 -beta development
:: Note, the missing qotation marks, these need to be wrapped around the entire
"+app_data......"
:: There is no DEV branch data yet for Arma 3 Dedicated Server package !!!
SET A3serverPath=D:\Exileserver
SET STEAMPATH=D:\Steamcmd
:: _________________________________________________________

echo.
echo You are about to update ArmA 3 server
echo Dir: %A3serverPath%
echo Branch: %A3serverBRANCH%
echo.
echo Key "ENTER" to proceed
pause
%STEAMPATH%\steamcmd.exe +login %STEAMLOGIN% +force_install_dir %A3serverPath%
+"app_update %A3serverBRANCH%" validate +quit
echo .
echo Your ArmA 3 server is now up to date

echo key "ENTER" to exit
pause

Spoiler

5. Extract the Steamcmd.exe from https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/steamcmd.zip
to your downloads and copy the extracted file inside the folder to your D:\Steamcmd and run it
by double clicking it. Let it finish.
6. Go to your D:\A3Files and double click the serverupdate.cmd and let it run, it will install the
required files for you to have a dedicated server. If it asks for your login information check your
email for a code, enter the code and press enter.
7. You should now have the required Arma Server Files, and your serverupdate.cmd which can be
used in the future to update your server. Let’s proceed
8. Install the DirectX, and the C++ Redistributable files and the Visual Studio Code. Reboot if
necessary.

Spoiler

9. The fun part MySQL run the windows installer for MySQL from
https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/windows/installer/5.7.html using the default options and
setting up a development server. Keep in mind, during the install process use a strong root
password, and create a user for exile with a simple name and password you can remember as
you will need this information later. Your user can be a part of the group wildcard % or
localhost.
10. Once MySQL is installed open the MySQL Workbench and enter your root password to connect
to your server, additionally I check the remember password option as I enter my database
frequently. You will see some pre-made databases under schema, right click them and drop
them.
11. Extract your @Exileserver and copy the exile.sql into your Exileserver folder. At the same time
you can also Extract the @Exile mod and place it into your Exileserver folder, inside of the
extracted @ExileServer you have a folder called Arma 3 Server open it and copy all the contents
into your Exileserver folder, replacing any existing files.
12. Now in the MySQL Workbench open a new query tab under file if one is not open already, and
find the blue color folder icon on the top bar, next to the disk and lightning bolt, and find your
Exileserver in the D:\Exileserver and the exile.sql file that you previously copied in and click it,
your Workbench will populate with the contents of this file, click the lightning bolt and let it
finish, after a few seconds if your click the arrows next to schema to refresh your databases
you will see a new schema named exile, which contains all your tables and so on required for
exile to work. Close workbench. Find the MySQL notify icon in your task bar and STOP the
MySQL server. Alternatively it is located in system services under MySQL57 make sure it is
stopped before you proceed.
13. Making sure you can see hidden files and folders in the file Explorer proceed to
C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\my.ini open the my.ini file with visual studio code,
and scroll to find # Set the SQL Mode To Strict changing the default to now read sql-mode=””
save and close. Restart MySQL57.

Spoiler

14. Now you should have The Arma Server files installed, @Exile and @Exileserver installed in your
Exileserver directory and MySQL installed and ready to procced. With your user created.
15. Go to your D:\Exileserver\@Exileserver\extdb-conf.ini and open it with code. Scroll down to
where it says “changeme” under username and password and enter the user name and
password you chose in the MySQL Setup, they must match. Save and close.
16. Open your Advanced Firewall and ensure that your port forwarding is correct for in and out, I
use program based, and the armaserver.exe bind as well ensure your server is port forwarded
correctly in your router. Port forwarding information is found in the dedicated server guide,
previously linked.

Spoiler

17. Copy the TADST into your Exileserver folder and make a new profile, setting all the required
options, like your server name, and the port and make sure you select the @exile and
@Exileserver mods, and that your exile.altis or tanoa mission is selected, and launch your
server. You should now see your server in the launcher for Arma 3 join it and spawn in. Enjoy
happy hunting. Keep in mind it may take time for your server to populate, but in most cases it is
almost instant. Alternatively you can join it manually, with your IP and Port.
18. That’s it. You should now have a vanilla Exile server up and running.

Spoiler

Trouble
Something went wrong, you messed up, you got Armad. Visit Exile Mod Discord #support ask for help
and prepare to post your .rpt found in your server directory.
What usually goes wrong? Database issues, you can’t connect to the database or you have a bambi
creation error, all simple fixes. C++ was not properly installed, make sure C++ is installed, I usually install
2012, 2013 and 2015 in the x86 and x64 variants.
Your user was not created properly or your extdb-conf.ini is improperly configured, go back check it.
File permissions, ensure you are administrator on your server and you have proper permissions globally.
Windows 2016 has blocked your files. Ensure when copying a .zip file right click under properties and
ensure it is not blocked, if you see an unblock option, check it to unblock it.
You didn’t follow my instructions. Go to Discord and ask for help, politely.

Conclusion

I hope you found my tutorial useful and you now have a working Exile server you can build upon with
various mods and addons to make your server unique.
If you found my guide useful stop by my websites and buy me a coffee.
https://www.milsim.xyz/, http://www.cadexile.com/

Acknowledgments

I would like to thank Bohemia Interactive for providing the platform to learn on and play on. Also I
would like to thank the Exile Mod team for making the best mod for Arma III, lastly I would like to thank
the Exile and Arma community for bringing us together as friends.

• Like 1

Alternative to TADST for those who like .bat files 

Disregard all previous instructions regarding TDAST.

I have loaded example files in my GitHub for you to download. 

Place the Server Auto Start.bat in your server root and edit accordingly for your configuration. 

Download and edit the basic.cfg and the config.cfg placing them in your server root. 

Once you have completed all other steps, and configured your files accordingly, you should now be able to launch your server with the Server Auto Start. 

Hope my guide helps you. 

If you run into trouble, and cannot get help, you can join my Discord or you can find me on one of my sites and ask for help, OK! :don8:

Edited by Doctor-Vanilla
Added link

Hey Doctor-Vanilla! Great guide and it got me up to speed for my Exile server, but the discord invite link you put in your last post is invalid. Just thought that you should know!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JabexGamer said:

Hey Doctor-Vanilla! Great guide and it got me up to speed for my Exile server, but the discord invite link you put in your last post is invalid. Just thought that you should know!

Oh hey thank you, happy it worked well for you! Oh right on, I have a new discord, I will fix that. 

On 16/07/2018 at 7:43 AM, J3diGP said:

Does this still work homies?

Yes

8 hours ago, Doctor-Vanilla said:

Yes

Followed the directions of the guide to a "T" and it still hangs at that picture and doesn't show my server up at all. Please help me out!!! It hangs on the port query. fyi I am trying to use mods too but have tried it without as well. 

On 18/07/2018 at 5:11 PM, J3diGP said:

Still need help!

do you have a server rpt? Did you port forward correctly, did you open your firewall for the incoming connections? any error? Database issue?

I've run this tutorial to the letter 3 times now and have hit a wall each and every time... 

I cannot for the life of me figure this out..

This is what I'm getting from the log:

extDB2: Version: 70
extDB2: https://github.com/Torndeco/extDB2
extDB2: Windows Version
Message: All development for extDB2 is done on a Linux Dedicated Server
Message: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=2SUEFTGABTAM2
Message: Also leave a message if there is any particular feature you would like to see added.

extDB2: Found extdb-conf.ini
extDB2: Detected 16 Cores, Setting up 6 Worker Threads

[13:10:00:495521 --7:00] [Thread 11608] extDB2: Database Type: MySQL
[13:10:00:529599 --7:00] [Thread 11608] extDB2: Database Exception Error: Connection attempt failed: Authentication plugin 'caching_sha2_password' cannot be loaded: The specified module could not be found.

[13:10:00:530185 --7:00] [Thread 11608] extDB2: Sending Shutdown to Armaserver

Please! for my sanity! help me!

I got it with KPliberation, but when I put it to open the Altis exile map, the message always appears. "You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted. exile_cliente" and I don't know what else to do.

the exile_cliente folder I have only has empty folders.