PeenerShot

Verify Signatures Limitations

My community is struggling to get all of our mods (approximately 10-15 total) to load correctly for the signature verification feature. When tested individually each mod is properly signed and working. When attempting to load all or random assortments of these mods however, one or more mods are no longer verifiable. We've tried numerous combinations of these mods but have been unsuccessful in pinpointing the cause of this issue.

So my question is this: Are there any known limitations of verify signatures—such as filesize, file number, and so forth? If not a limitation, what sort of conflicts might be at play? Can anyone shed light on this strange problem or suggest further troubleshooting steps? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I would like to know this, as I have learned how to fix the problems @PeenerShotmentioned above in our community, I would like to know how it works so we can possibly expand what we can allow on the server.

Currently, we can only have so many mods and keys for client-side mods we allow but don't use on the server. I understand how signature/encrypted hashes work for other things. When a key is created, it creates a hash of the file names, sizes, etc. What we are wondering is, what is the limitation of the verify signature process? I assume it is a limit on the # of assets in a PBO against it's .bisign file, is that correct? Is there a way or something we can set to allow it to run longer to verify more assets so we can have more mods or allow bigger mods like RHS with CUP along with weapon and texture mods that add more assets?

On 23.2.2018 at 5:51 PM, CraveMode said:

I would like to know this, as I have learned how to fix the problems @PeenerShotmentioned above in our community, I would like to know how it works so we can possibly expand what we can allow on the server.

Currently, we can only have so many mods and keys for client-side mods we allow but don't use on the server. I understand how signature/encrypted hashes work for other things. When a key is created, it creates a hash of the file names, sizes, etc. What we are wondering is, what is the limitation of the verify signature process? I assume it is a limit on the # of assets in a PBO against it's .bisign file, is that correct? Is there a way or something we can set to allow it to run longer to verify more assets so we can have more mods or allow bigger mods like RHS with CUP along with weapon and texture mods that add more assets?

It hashes the PBO's content basically. How many files are in there doesn't matter. "allow it to run longer" What do you mean? You want it to run slower?

"so we can have more mods or allow bigger mods like RHS with CUP along with weapon and texture mods that add more assets" Why can't you already do that?

On 16.9.2017 at 10:05 AM, PeenerShot said:

My community is struggling to get all of our mods (approximately 10-15 total) to load correctly for the signature verification feature. When tested individually each mod is properly signed and working. When attempting to load all or random assortments of these mods however, one or more mods are no longer verifiable. We've tried numerous combinations of these mods but have been unsuccessful in pinpointing the cause of this issue.

So my question is this: Are there any known limitations of verify signatures—such as filesize, file number, and so forth? If not a limitation, what sort of conflicts might be at play? Can anyone shed light on this strange problem or suggest further troubleshooting steps? Thanks in advance!

What does "load correctly" mean?

"one or more mods are no longer verifiable" When you join the server it tells you the files are not accepted?

Earlier there was a problem on Linux. Basically it had so many open files (pbo's + bisigns) that it couldn't open anymore bisigns because it reached the OS open file limit. But that's not a problem unless you get more than 1024 pbo's+bisigns in which case you might have to increase the Limit.

Don't know how that's handled on Windows, I don't know of any limit there.

Thanks for your response Dedmen. Basically, what I have experienced is that when running large mods, large in the sense that they have a lot of files/pbos in them, not all mods verify and shows they are ready in the server list. We ran CUP Core/Maps, All RHS Mods, VSM AIO, MGP, and a large Retexture pack with many custom variations. The problem we ran into is, it didn't matter what order we put them in if I take off one of the mods, all showed green that they verified. When I put that mod back and take out another, the same thing, as long as you adhere to the dependencies of course (load order).

For example, below mods would show red for verifying. When we take one away, it would show green and signatures verified.
CBA
ACE
CUP
RHS
MGP
VSM
CUSTOM TX PAK

If we remove CUSTOM TX PAK, it shows Green. If we put it back it would show red for verified. If we take away VSM this time, it shows green.. put it back, it is red. We take away MGP, it shows green, put it back it shows red.

We don't run a lot of mods, but I feel it should verify all mods unless there was an issue with a mod. We checked signatures, everything we run has updated signatures. I just want to understand how it works and if there are limitations, what they are. I appreciate the mentioning of the Linux open file limit. We are hosted on Windows 2016 and I suspect that Windows may be limiting how many keys it can check.