Chipotles

[SOLVED] Can you use a script as an addon for the workshop?

Im a guy comming from mission-scripting and have been there for a while. I have now made a simple client-side gui controls script. The actual purpose of this script was coded with the "mission-file" context in mind. Now people asked me if i couldnt upload it to the steam workshop for easier installation and convenient use. I did some research on this but i cant fint anything relevant anywhere.

Is is possible to pack a single script in an workshop-addon and expect it to load on every mission that it is executed with?

When yes, how do i perform this?

You have to make an addon. You create a config.cpp (kind of description.ext) with some classes: cfgPatches, and cfgFunctions (similar to BI_fnc_ , but home made with your scripts)

More here.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgPatches

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Functions_Library_(Arma_3)

So, a config.cpp , with at least one function with  postinit = 1 to make it run automatically, referring to an external sqf (it's better).

Place that in a folder. Then launch the Arma3 tools >>  addon builder to pbo your files. You should get a @youraddon folder now.

Follow some links here:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Addon_Editing

Good reading!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

You have to make an addon. You create a config.cpp (kind of description.ext) with some classes: cfgPatches, and cfgFunctions

So, a config.cpp , with at least one function with  postinit = 1 to make it run automatically, referring to an external sqf (it's better).

Place that in a folder. Then launch the Arma3 tools >>  addon builder to pbo your files. You should get a @youraddon folder now.

Thank you very much! I tried your suggestion but it seems like im doing something wrong.

Could it be the folder structure? It looks like this

Arma 3\@AddonX\addons\@AddonX.pbo

Arma 3\@AddonX\config.cpp

Arma 3\@AddonX\fn_navBar.sqf

Do i even got the config file correct?

class cfgPatches
{
  class MyAddon
	{
		name = "My Addonx";
		author = "Mex";
		requiredVersion = 1.60;

file = "fn_navBar.sqf";
		postInit = 1;
		ext = ".sqf";
	};
};

I activated the addon in the client too, but nothing happens when i get into server browser > host server > random mission.

Or is there something different i got to pay attention to?

im sorry if im asking too much it just seems like there is so much potential to fail..

You missed the right classes:

cfgPatches are for information and dependencies

cfgFunctions for your function (sqf)

class cfgPatches {

class MyAddon {

name = "My Addonx";

author = "Mex";

requiredVersion = 1.60;

};

};

class CfgFunctions
{
	class myTag
	{
		class myCategory
		{
			class myFunction
			{
				file = "fn_navBar.sqf";
                                postInit = 1; //1 to call the function upon mission start, after objects are initialized. Passed arguments are ["postInit", didJIP]
				recompile = 1; // optional 1 to recompile the function upon mission start (config.cpp only; functions in description.ext are compiled upon mission start already)
			};
		};
	};
};

Put config.cpp and fn_navbar.sqf in same folder (myAddon) then pbo it with tools to obtain @myAddon folder. Place it in your addon folder.

then you will have a new function in your function viewer (console or editor) and you call it as myTag_fnc_myfunction

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pierremgi said:

then you will have a new function in your function viewer (console or editor) and you call it as myTag_fnc_myfunction

Ok this is working. But there seems to be a small problem here. When im getting into the game or opening the function in the function-viewer it says "Script fn_navBar.sqf" not found. Funniely enough when im executing it on some missions its working, but not all missions.

*Edit, i got it finally to wortk with this config.cpp setup : 

class cfgPatches
{
  class MyAddon
    {
        name = "My Addon";
        author = "JonVeD";
        requiredVersion = 0.1;
    };
};

class CfgFunctions
{