Sign in to follow this  
monotone

Phirosophy: the only thing overlooked in Rules of War DLC

Hello folks,

Have you tried the latest 'Rule of War' DLC? If not, you should try it. It's awesome! Detailed and fun new features, well-narrated mindful campaign which shows you how cruel the reality of war is. Through playing the campaign, you may capture the sense of consequence which comes from what you ordinary do in the game. Also, Bohemia should definitely receive reputation for tackling such a difficult issues. In an interview of ICRC, they tried to contact to many game companies but only Bohemia responds to their offer of collaboration to weaving jus in bello into commercial game product. Therefore, put aside the donation for the committee, I am confident that ICRC reached their initial purpose,let game players be familiar to rules of war without 'academic lectures'.

So, the three parties, players, BI and ICRC must be satisfied with accomplishment of the DLC at the same time. This is marvelous.

....Then, so what? In the end of the day, the number of casualties in Syria or Yemen or other places of severe conflict has been reduced thanks to the DLC? It must be no because game player is not a type of person who kills innocent people in real world nor faithful advocator of anti-personnel land mines. Again, DLC itself is awesome. But ICRC would make mistake if they think somewhat to change the reality have been done.

While I don't completely disagree with you, you have to take into account that players of ArmA series are... people. People with different hobbies, jobs, religion, and seriously, who thought about collateral damage until playing this DLC? I, myself, have not. 

But now, while replaying the East Wind campaign from the beginning, I've actually stopped for a moment before placing that mine in the downed chopper mission.

I personally think that BI achieved a great thing in this DLC.