I have a question regarding the new DLC Laws of War and the showcase mission

In the showcase where you get to try out CAS and choose the right one without killing civilian you can choose what kind of bomb the incoming jet gets to use. For examble you can order the new cluster bomb. But i dont seem to find any way to edit the CAS module so that the selected bomb is used. I can only choose between guided and unguided. I know if you choose an non virtual CAS provider with artillery you can choose the type of ammo but why not with planes.

Hope someone knows more about scripting than me or knows how they did it in the showcase.

PS. I know theres a way to force the plane to use a specific kind of weapon by disabling all others but that doesnt seem to work with virtual Provider.

If you use the "Close Air Support" module in the editor, you can choose what type of plane you want and also whether it's a gun run, guns & mimssiles, bombs or cluster bombs.  Hope that helps you.

I knew you can specify what plane to use but how do you add the weapon to the init window ?

You should see two drop-down menus One is the type (gun run, missiles, bombs) and the other is the plane (there's a CAS and cluster variant for each plane).

Ah right ok - the one I'm on about isn't the virtual one.  If you look on the module tab in the editor (F5) and type in "CAS" (no quotes) then it should appear under the effects tab.

Okay one last one. How do you link it up so you can call it in with the support tab ?

I'm not sure to be honest - I know very little about using modules.  Hopefully someone who knows more can chip in.

Okay thank you for your quick help.

Looking for a way to use or combine it already ;D

Here's how to place a CAS module in the editor and edit it:

1. Click the Modules button on the right (Or press F5)
  2. Click the category, "Effects" (It's the third one down)
  3. Click the "Close Air Support (CAS)" item in the list
  4. Place the module on the map
  5. Double-click on it to open the module and edit it
  6. Very bottom category in edit box lets you change type of attack and CAS plane used

Here's how to sync it to a trigger:

1. Place your Blufor player unit
  2. Place a trigger and set the Activation to "BLUFOR"
  3. Right-click your Blufor player unit, highlight "Connect" and then click "Sync to"
  4. Left-click the trigger; this will sync your unit to the trigger
  5. Right-click the placed CAS module, highlight "Connect" and then click "Sync to"
  6. Left-click the trigger; this will sync your CAS module to the trigger
  7. Results.

Also, the azimuth you set the CAS module to will be the direction the CAS plane will ingress from.  If the azimuth is 0, then the plane will come in from the north and egress south.

• Like 3

On 9 September 2017 at 11:34 PM, phronk said:

Here's how to place a CAS module in the editor and edit it:

1. Click the Modules button on the right (Or press F5)
  2. Click the category, "Effects" (It's the third one down)
  3. Click the "Close Air Support (CAS)" item in the list
  4. Place the module on the map
  5. Double-click on it to open the module and edit it
  6. Very bottom category in edit box lets you change type of attack and CAS plane used

Here's how to sync it to a trigger:

1. Place your Blufor player unit
  2. Place a trigger and set the Activation to "BLUFOR"
  3. Right-click your Blufor player unit, highlight "Connect" and then click "Sync to"
  4. Left-click the trigger; this will sync your unit to the trigger
  5. Right-click the placed CAS module, highlight "Connect" and then click "Sync to"
  6. Left-click the trigger; this will sync your CAS module to the trigger
  7. Results.

Also, the azimuth you set the CAS module to will be the direction the CAS plane will ingress from.  If the azimuth is 0, then the plane will come in from the north and egress south.

I tried this with no joy but I think I had the module synced directly to me also which may be wrong, what is the difference between this and the CAS module from under supports? 

CAS EFFECT MODULE

The CAS Effect module I described above simply spawns a CAS plane once the module is triggered.  The CAS plane then does a gun run, missile run, or both (Depending on your settings for the module) on the position of the placed CAS Effect module.  After the run, it flies up in the air and eventually disappears when out of sight.

CAS SUPPORT MODULE (Note: Other elements like artillery and transports can be used for the other types of Support Modules)

I literally haven't even used the Supports modules since the Alpha or Beta of Arma 3, but the CAS module under the "Supports" category, as well as the other Supports available, is a module you'd sync to both the support provider (CAS helicopter already placed on the map for example) and then sync that Support Provider module to a Support Requester module, which is then sync'd to a player.  I don't think AI can utilize the Supports modules automatically/at all without scripted events.  These Supports modules let you basically setup what elements can be requested for support by the sync'd player, but the supporting element needs to be an actual already placed unit on the map which is synced the to the Support Provider (Which is synced to CAS Requester module, which the player is synced to) module.

Using it as a player in the game, you basically go into the "Supports" category in the command radio/window thing on the right (Think you can press the 9 or 0 key to get it) and select the Support Provider of your choice (As long as those Support Providers modules are synced to the Support Requester module your character is synced to) and then simply left-click anywhere to call the support onto that area.

Sorry if it sounds confusing, it's difficult to explain and it has been a long time.  Also, I dont' know why the method I explained didn't work for you.  I tried it twice just now and it worked both times.  Make sure the trigger activation is "Blufor" and is set to Present.

I'm making a mission, and I would like to have a CAS module with the AAF attack plane. I get it set up no problem, but there are only two options-bomb and laser guided bomb, I would like to know how to make an option for gun runs, missile strikes, etc, like in Zeus anyone know how to do that. 

Sorry for digging up an old thread 🙂 

Is there a way to change the text of the support module? CallSign radio text is ok but transmission itself...

https://imgur.com/f3TwYZJ

I feel bad if I make a new topic just for this. Hope someone knows how to change the text in this module?

I'm not sure where that text string is stored, and looking through the function and those that it calls bore no fruit. At any rate, changing it would likely require an addon. 

Another thought - I vaguely remember a topic from years ago where someone was trying to intercept and change this type of chat message, so that might be a possibility?

I open \addons\modules.pbo\supports, open every .txt file, and do a search in all opened files for word of that chat, for example, "affirmative" - but nothings show up, zero matching. Also for other words in the chat message. 

So your target for finding text string is the right only problem is we don't know where is stored 🙂

Searching across these files now.. hope will find a trace of storage from the text getting pulled.

Edit:  can't find anything but only information it is connected to "KBtell". I don't even know what is that exactly, suppose it is a group of predefined functions. If you remember anything else it will be a new step, I don't know where to look anymore. Also tried to follow this trace "I vaguely remember a topic from years ago where someone was trying to intercept and change this type of chat message" and search the forum for something like that but with no success.

Edit: FOUNDED! It is defined in:

modules.pbo\supports\kb\protocol.bikb !  With a last sad look at one title, I open it and some smart guys were there 2009!  😎 

However, does not work. On startup it is an error message:

https://imgur.com/BKVnezs

I do all clean, just change the text in protocol.bikb, save, pack .pbo, back file to place, and start the launcher. 

Editing game files is a great way to break your game. It will never pass a BE check, either.

I do a backup of files before start making problems 🙂

But I still believe it is possible this way, just need to define something in that \animations\commonDefines.inc file

It looks pretty simple (file) but the error still says that the file is not found. When I replace it with the original one, the game starts normaly.