toiletuser

Respect to Bohemia

It's nice to see that not all studios are greedy, it's nice to see BI creating actual content and sell them in humanitarian purpose unlike some other studios who sell simple colour paintjobs in price of real game content out of pure greed.

I see many whine about "Laws of war" being unworthy update while part of that money goes in charity purpose. (You don't need to buy it but at least don't whine.)

Update: My intention was not to start disscusion about whining, just wanted to say bravo BI for selling actual content instead charging for paintjobs or such rubbish. (no matter does someone like this dlc or not, we all like different things).

Respect BI!

• Like 17

People will always bitch..they are never happy... lol

This DLC is very good. if you look at it content whise...
Gives a lot of placeble objects witch you can use to make your missions immersive and better looking.
Than  Campaign is THE BEST thing i played in arma...It was amazing and well done...Loved every moment of it.

• Like 12

Didn't tried it yet, but i will as soon i catch some free time.

Completely agree with @DJankovic people always have to bash Bohemia for anything they do. this dlc is my favourite out of all. Expanding the humanitarian aspect is a great thing even if its just retextures

Oh and all the new models really bring up a new opportunity for mod makers! That duffle bag looking thing could be used in conjunction with a suit to create a campaign or mod of a criminal faction/story. 

and the money goes to charity. So while we're having fun people also benefit at the same time. Very rare to see that in a company. 

oh and furnitures :P I can finally place some couches and beds and have some guys camp there! Big respect to Bohemia and everyone in there, even the janitor! A true company caring for the players experience. Czech is a golden country :)

• Like 4

Dude forget about the (amazing) campaign and new content. All I care about is the new orange prop. :^)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cydoemus said:

and the money goes to charity. So while we're having fun people also benefit at the same time. Very rare to see that in a company. 

Agree that this is an awesome DLC, this is the icing on the cake!

BI retains its crown of the coolest game developer around:)

• Like 2

Good dlc, but wish they found a way so that i won't screw up everyone's modded scenarios and stuff 

But good dlc regardless 

I dont understand this thread...

why BIS can't accept some negative feedback without need some "respect" ?

Why a negative feedback is related with "respect" in this forum?

and this this statement is false:

I see many whine about "Laws of war" being unworthy update while part of that money goes in charity purpose. You don't need to buy it but at least don't whine.

A lot of people buy the offer bundle in Steam and is obvious that this DLC dont like to everybody... but you show no respect to other people calling them "whiners".

Instead ask "respect" to BIS show "respect" for other opinions.

• Like 2

To be fair, there's feedback and then there's whining.

Sometimes there is a distinction and other times it's more opinion.

• Like 4

Always good to balance out the negatives with a positive every once in a while. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, toiletuser said:

I see many whine about "Laws of war" being unworthy update while part of that money goes in charity purpose.

I hate (I actually enjoy) being that guy but the former is in no way related to the latter. They could have released a dummy DLC that you can just buy and get nothing in return and then give money to charity but it would still be a dummy DLC.
Bottom line, charity doesn't magically make a thing "worthy".

16 hours ago, DJankovic said:

Than  Campaign is THE BEST thing i played in arma...It was amazing and well done...Loved every moment of it.

It's quite ironic that the best campaign in a "military simulator" (I know, I know, please notice the quotation marks) is a humanitarian campaign. I don't know, maybe BI should start making those Hospital Simulator 2017 games instead of Arma? :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, djotacon said:

I dont understand this thread...

why BIS can't accept some negative feedback without need some "respect" ?

Why a negative feedback is related with "respect" in this forum?

and this this statement is false:

A lot of people buy the offer bundle in Steam and is obvious that this DLC dont like to everybody... but you show no respect to other people calling them "whiners".

Instead ask "respect" to BIS show "respect" for other opinions.

Well, my opinion is that i have no respect for whiners, if you don't like it don't buy it. Will you respect my opinion?

Whining is one thing and expressing opinion regarding dlc (constructive critic) is another.

But as i said my intention was not call out whiners here rather i wanted to say i'm happy to see that BI sell real content (even some don't like it, this dlc is not in my taste either) instead paintjobs and such microtransactions.

I didn't come here on forum to arguee these last 3 years and i don't intend now nor in the future.

Sorry if i don't reply i rarely visit forum.

Bye!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cydoemus said:

A true company caring for the players experience. Czech is a golden country :)

Don't forget this DLC was made in the Netherlands, an orange country!

Sincerely,

A dutch guy ;-)

• Like 3

@toiletuser Well, 2/3 of DLC are paintjobs and the rest is a bunch of tiny cosmetic items sold as a package so instead of paying $1 for each individual item we are invited to purchase them all for a $70. That isn't much different from what Gabe does.

The Van is nice though.

4 hours ago, joostsidy said:

Don't forget this DLC was made in the Netherlands, an orange country!

Sincerely,

A dutch guy ;-)

Ah! Well then Netherlands and Czech Republic are the golden countries :D 

I wonder where we would all be if these countries didn't existed :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cydoemus said:

Ah! Well then Netherlands and Czech Republic are the golden countries :D 

I wonder where we would all be if these countries didn't existed :P

We would all be in a place with a healthy social life and a lot of free time I guess. :D

• Like 3

I think it is a great addition to the game, this DLC. Adds more depth and color than any weapons-pack DLC, regardless of sales figures.

I would probably grade it a B+ overall, given limited manpower. The standouts for me are the campaign and the van, but the mine mechanic improvements are also nice.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, semiconductor said:

We would all be in a place with a healthy social life and a lot of free time I guess. :D

Hey, I'm not playing Arma all the time. For instance sometimes I'm on the Arma Forum.

• Like 2

Well, the new mine detector mechanic is a bit better.

The cluster bombs are nice (along with unexploded ordinance). Small cargo drones are definitely nice. The humanitarian stuff is nice for mission background stuff - I'm going to drop some of it right into a mission I had already made: a SDV insertion into the blue pearl harbor to search for and destroy weapons shipments from what was supposed to be a ship carrying humanitarian supplies (so I had some generic boxes, some canned food, some medical containers, water, etc... but also boxes of weapons and some covered military vehicles).

The ambulance is also a nice alternative to the large HEMMT/ Zamak/Tempest medical which aren't sling loadable by helos (well all except the Taru, and even that can't lift the tempests IIRC). The utility can is also a nice alternative to the HEMMT/Zamak/Tempest repair that can be slung under medium sized helos, but the services offroad already filled that role so its not sooo great.

But it is nice that now we have civilian assets for repair, refueling, and healing.

The new drone is great, and I hope they apply its control system (no separate pilot and turret controls) to other drones.

My only concern is that the demining drone can actually be quite an effective combat bomber. Those demining charges are just bombs with a not insignificant blast radius. Using its targeting camera while flying it + its CCIP should allow one to accurately bomb enemy positions beyond SAF range with a "civilian" drone.

On 9/9/2017 at 2:02 AM, semiconductor said:

It's quite ironic that the best campaign in a "military simulator" (I know, I know, please notice the quotation marks) is a humanitarian campaign. I don't know, maybe BI should start making those Hospital Simulator 2017 games instead of Arma? :D

Well, I haven't finished it yet, but there's a significant amount of shooting by the player involved, in the form of flashbacks.

I haven't played Arma/Sahrani, but IMO their best campaign is still their CWC 1985 campaign. Their Takistan campaign I also liked a fair amount.

Arma3's campaign isn't bad, but I find it lacking in combined arms action (you're basically always infantry, and almost never have any air or armor support), and there are too many loose ends that never get tied together.

This new campaign...

Spoiler

so far I've seen on flashback in there that seems to imply that captain Miller's team participated in some flase flag event to further the divide between the government and the rebels...

which was interesting, but it still doesn't fit into any coherent narrative. I get that maybe they don't want to spoon feed everything, and the average soldier won't be able to see the full story... but there are still gaping holes in the plot that this follow up campaign so far hasn't answered - and I doubt there will ever be a coherent story formed out of Arma3's campaigns. 

On the other hand... I'm glad for arma 3 that they didn't spring any of that Warfare mode stuff from Arma 2's campaigns

Its ok though, its a sandbox military simulator, not a drama.

CWC was a good campaign even if its a rather generic story.

In case anyone doesn't want CWC spoilers (I guess maybe some people that play arma haven't played it)

Spoiler

Rogue russian general invades, NATO responds, Russians counter attack and NATO retreats. Armstrong is left behind and bonds with rebels. NATO defeats the Russian attack, and counter attack. Crazy Russian general plans to launch nuke because his conventional forces are losing, and spec ops saves the day. The russian general is killed or captured, the End. Oh, and along the way some character we barely got to play as (because there were few missions where we would pilot and aircraft) gets shot down, captured, and escapes.

Arma 3 plot for comparison

Spoiler

Arma 3: NATO is leaving Altis, but apparently the AAF can't wait another day or two and starts shooting at NATO for ... uhhh.... some reason (potential reason: captain Miller captured the East Wind device and they're trying to get it back, except.... apparently he hadn't). AAF is working with CSAT to develop an earthquake weapon.... for... uh... some reason... even though their tests are damaging Altis and by doing this they are inviting the ruin of their nation as two superpowers fight over their island.

While NATO was helping the AAF against insurgents, NATO special forces were helping the insurgents - Orange addition: NATO SF may have committed a false flag operation to make the insurgents hate the government... because... uhhh... its easier to get/steal the East wind device if all of NATO is expelled and AAF is hostile to them... yea... that can't be it, it makes no sense.... uhhh.... moving on...

At the same time even as NATO conventional forces were helping the government... because bureaucracy still doesn't get along within future NATO I guess.

Side note... miller sabtotaged the first NATO invasion attempt to buy time to secure the East wind device... because uh.... its easier to steal it if CSAT and the AAF aren't thrown into chaos while focued on fighting back an enemy... wait... no... that makes no sense... so for uhh.... some other reason... moving on...

One soldier, Kerry, Rambo's it up in asymmetrical warfare and kicks AAF/CSAT butt, while NATO comes back to Altis to attack the AAF for attacking NATO (again, NATO was leaving anyway... why did this attack happen?). CSAT either finishes their tests and lets AAF get curbstomped by NATO, or NATO steals their weapon, and CSAT and NATO duke it out for control of Altis/the weapon (cannon ending, CSAT lets AAF get curbstomped).

Apex:

Spoiler

you shoot drug dealers and rescue miller. CSAT forces attack you because they like the drug dealers. Drug dealers turn on CSAT and steal the earthquake weapon device (causes tsunamis here!), so you kill the drug dealers and find super secret documents detailing CSAT's evil plans. Drug dealers for some strange reason start the earthquake device... because... ummm... that's how you ransom it to CSAT for money, which definitely wouldn't instead respond by sending in special forces to kill the drug dealers. NATO SF come in and kill drug dealers and the CSAT special forces, and NATO takes the earthquake weapon, the end.

No armored vehicles of any type appear. There's no real air support to speak of at any point, no combined arms operations.

CWC's campaign may have had a fairly generic plot, but it had a nice range of situations. Organized/coorinated combined ops operations (I still love that first campaign mission), chaotic retreats, amphibious assaults, parachute assaults. Lone wolf scenarios, underdog missions with the resistance, spec ops missions. Offense, defense, ambush, tank missions, helo missions, (1 fixed wing mission that was pretty basic).

Arma2:OA had a good range of combat as far as using air, armor, and infantry in the campaign, and combat against those as well, but overall it was a curbstomp of the Takis where the only question is if you curbstomp them fast enough to save X or capture Y.

Arma 3-no Apex-: I don't think I ever had control over a tank or chopper during the entire campaign (I've heard on some missions one can disable a Kuma and then repair and steal it... but...). It always feels like its always asymetrical warfare, with you on the underdog side (that's fine in moderation, but I don't want that to be the theme of all 3 campaign chapters). 

Apex: The most powerful vehicles that you face/have access to are unarmored offroads (either civilian or military LSV) with 50 cals or a 6.5mm minigun

Spoiler

Well, that and the Stomper RCWS for 1 mission, but that thing is super vulnerable to SAF

So, in that respect, relative to other Arma/OFP titles, I felt that Arma 3 is lacking in combined warfare. This DLC doesn't change that, and I wouldn't expect it to given its theme. If the Jets DLC didn't have a mini-campaign adding more combined warfare elements to the main arma3 story, a civilian focused DLC shouldn't be expected to

• Like 1

One thing that I liked about the Arma world. The underdogs like Iran, Russia (I would say it's an underdog cause they seemingly always loose in a fight with the Americans. I mean come on) became the ones that NATO could barely contain. 

It's actually cool, because when I was playing as an American soldier in many games I literally always predict that at the end. Russians loose, US comes and destroys everything. That was sorta boring. At least in Arma 3 I took CSAT seriously, knowing that in just a shot I could be limping.

Ah im getting off topic! Just so this isn't really that off topic, I played the showcase IDAP and really liked the leaflets. Bunch of goodies for a nice story!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cydoemus said:

One thing that I liked about the Arma world. The underdogs like Iran, Russia (I would say it's an underdog cause they seemingly always loose in a fight with the Americans. I mean come on) became the ones that NATO could barely contain. 

Well, I wouldn't call the Russians underdogs. American propaganda has them always lose in the end, but they like to portray Americans as the underdog against the Red horde, winning out in the end... like calling the Persians the underdogs in the 300 and 300: Rise of an Empire movies...

Red Dawn, a classic example of a US-Russia cold war turns hot type of movie. The Russian's weren't portrayed as underdogs. People like to hear stories of the underdog winning, and it also helped sell military budget increases to the public if America was portrayed as lagging behind the russians - hence all this BS talk about Bomber-Gaps and Missile-Gaps (and parodied in Dr. Strangelove- mineshaft-gaps). The Ruskies are always portrayed as the big powerful BadS

But I see your point... its somewhat similar to the Worf effect: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect

They are portrayed as really powerful, yet they always seem to lose... just like Worf... just about anytime he's needed to be a strong BadS, the enemy mops the floor with him...

Iran on the other hand... I find it hard to believe that they'd be such a threat to NATO. Sure its not just Iran, its "CSAT", but it seems to be nothing but Iranians in Altis. I'm not saying Iran is a weak power, they certainly aren't. I just don't see them advancing that much in <20 years, particularly with respect to power projection that far beyond their borders.

China on the other hand.... yet we only see them in Apex,

Spoiler

and in small numbers...

which is not what you'd expect, and not what the main fear would be when fighting against china

At least in Arma 3 I took CSAT seriously, knowing that in just a shot I could be limping.

That's sort of Arma in general. Ever since OFP, one stray bullet to the legs and you can't walk (although limping was a later addition, previous it was either you could run and sprint, or you were wounded and had to crawl prone).

Arma 3 actually moves a bit away from that with all the body armor. Now sometimes it can feel like infantry are a bit too close to being bullet sponges. Like you'lll very often have the chance to get to cover and use a FAK - in OFP to Arma 2, death came much faster when under enemy fire. Even the Taki's/FIA/Chedakis were very lethal if you were on foot.

@Ex3B Yep! I meant it like that. I always seen some catastrophic event happening on the protagonist. Who mostly goes with guerillas. And then suddenly the big guys take massive damage. They are portrayed strong in game and even tougher in campaigns (Look at their uniform and the Americans, the CSAT guys look like their manufacturers did a real strange job with their outfit while the Americans look normal-ish) 

Even if you consider the failing economy of the North Atlantic and the rising power of the canton alliance. They just seem to always fail. Either the world despises the opposing faction or they are outright annihilated. 

Ive started first in Arma 3 and I always get sort of aware when some guys shoot me. Cause the firepower is visible. i did buy Arma 2 and it felt sort of weird when I got shot. I think I'm used to Arma's controls :P 

Nevertheless. BI never ceases to amaze me with their campaign storylines. I couldn't even write a basic storyline and BI is here making splendid campaigns left centre and right!

I haven't bought the dlc yet but from what i hear and read it must be really something.I beleive the idea for this campaign came from a sequence in ArmA 3 East Wind campaign.In episode 3 you had to make a choice that could affect civillian lives,i don't wanna say anything more cause of spoilers.But if you go back to ArmA history you see humanitarian concerns in almost every campaign Bohemia has created. These guys never cease to amaze me!

On 08/09/2017 at 4:37 AM, DJankovic said:

Gives a lot of placeble objects witch you can use to make your missions immersive and better looking.

witch you can use

Ah yes Witches, can't wait to play Central African Republic MilSim