ColonelKernel

Make unit move after commanding them to stop

Hi.

How can I make a unit that is stopped by my command start moving again? I know you can do it using moveTo but I want to use doMove.

49 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

Usually you have to use doFollow leader...  to cancel the order.

I've already tried that but it doesn't work. doFollow only works when you have used doStop to stop them, if you command them (in-game, not via script) to stop it doesn't work. In fact, if you command them to do anything, like change their stance, then scripts can't negate that order, or at least I don't know how to do it. (there's one thing where you make them joinSilent another group, then make them joinSilent your squad but it's a bit of a hit-and-miss method)

Anyway, I wanted to use doMove because I needed to use unitReady in a while loop. Now I know there's an equivalent for moveTo: moveToCompleted.

Still, if anyone knows how to fix the issue with doMove it would be a lot better.

The sequence doStop doFollow works in game. See and test this script

I tested plenty of codes before this one. The weird thing comes when you order a stop/follow to a player. Avoid that, at least when player is leader.

NB: As leader, if your command bar stays with "move" or "stop" for your player, you can't order anything.But if your "slot" is clean, then your AI guys will obey.

1 hour ago, pierremgi said:

The sequence doStop doFollow works in game. See and test this script

I tested plenty of codes before this one. The weird thing comes when you order a stop/follow to a player. Avoid that, at least when player is leader.

NB: As leader, if your command bar stays with "move" or "stop" for your player, you can't order anything.But if your "slot" is clean, then your AI guys will obey.

That's weird. Why doesn't it work for me? I'm pretty sure my "slot" is clean! (like I said it's more of a hit and miss for me, I'm sure it used to work a while back)

BTW, you're a Make Arma Not War finalist? Respect bro! What did you create?

Maybe commandMove will help?  In JBOY Patrol Chatter script, I used commandMove to send unit to its current exact position.   Unit would respond by saying "Ready", and would continue to follow his AI Leader through waypoints.  This idea might work with Move, MoveTo, DoMove...you would have to test it.

unit1 commandMove (getPos unit1);

2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Maybe commandMove will help?  In JBOY Patrol Chatter script, I used commandMove to send unit to its current exact position.   Unit would respond by saying "Ready", and would continue to follow his AI Leader through waypoints.  This idea might work with Move, MoveTo, DoMove...you would have to test it.

unit1 commandMove (getPos unit1);

Thanks, but I've tried that too. Also, since I want this for a mod I'm making, and it requires units to move a lot, I don't want the player to talk too much.

Hmmm, too bad.  Please post your solution when you find it.  Note that doMove is the equivalent of commandMove without sound and radio messages, so you shouldn't get additional talking.  In my Patrol Chatter case, I wanted to hear the order.

I tried the old trick of ungrouping the unit and the regrouping him.  The Stop commands is no longer displayed but it won't move when using domove and when you do use domove again the stop action reappears. 

However if you don't have it rejoin the group domove does work until it rejoins the group then it stops again.

I wonder how they are stopping the unit, it's not commandstop  because if you use that dofollow and domove will  work.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Hmmm, too bad.  Please post your solution when you find it.  Note that doMove is the equivalent of commandMove without sound and radio messages, so you shouldn't get additional talking.  In my Patrol Chatter case, I wanted to hear the order.

The only solution I know for units not moving is to use moveTo. Though I'm sure I used that trick I said earlier (making units joinSilent a temp group and then rejoin them) and it used to work for doMove (in an earlier version of ARMA). I don't know, maybe they changed something about the engine, or maybe I'm just imagining things!

17 hours ago, f2k sel said:

I tried the old trick of ungrouping the unit and the regrouping him.  The Stop commands is no longer displayed but it won't move when using domove and when you do use domove again the stop action reappears. 

However if you don't have it rejoin the group domove does work until it rejoins the group then it stops again.

I wonder how they are stopping the unit, it's not commandstop  because if you use that dofollow and domove will  work.

Maybe the orders you issue in the game are of higher level of command.