thirith

What is the favoured patrol script?

Is there a patrol script out there that is favoured by the mission making community? I'm asking because I've just added UPS to a mission I'm working on, and while it seems to be working at a first glance, the mission does start with a long error message now, so I'm wondering to what extent scripts that are a couple of years old are no longer working properly because of updates to Arma 3. (It's also something I find a bit of a problem with the otherwise helpful thread on commonly used scripts: for someone who's still a beginner at this, it's almost impossible to know whether a script that was the best of its kind in 2013 or 2014 still works as intended or whether it's been superseded by later, more up-to-date scripts.)

You can't really go wrong by just starting somewhere and seeing if the script works for you. What you need largely depends on your mission.

I've only used a selection of what is out there;

1. bis_fnc_taskPatrol - In-built BIS function for patrolling, pretty basic just assigns some random waypoints. No communication between patrols but perfect for small missions.
  2. UPS - Lightweight script and easy to set up. Allows groups to communicate, flank and attack the players. No artillery support and overly aggressive vehicles are main drawbacks.
  3. UPSMON - Next step up from UPS, adds artillery support and few other features. Bit heavy resource wise, often avoid using this this and use DAC instead when arty is needed.
  4. DAC - Very complex, but highly useful with lots of options to customise. Suitable for any medium/large mission. This pretty much does it all and is well balanced, but error messages can be a bit cryptic.

Not used any of the others.

One of the above with the AISSP FillHouse script are the core of all my missions.

Cool, thanks. I guess this means that regardless of the error message I've been getting, UPS is still being used and should work. (Knowing which error messages to heed and which to ignore is something I'm finding pretty much impossible as a scripting beginner.)