Sign in to follow this  
rekkless

The Most Significant Thing Missing From The Sound Overhaul

This might be a bit late as the sound overhaul happened many many months ago. But while BI keep improving and developing ArmA 3s soundscape they have never really included proper infantry movement sounds.

This is particularly obvious when using 3rd party maps, or even many of the previous ArmA maps in CUP Terrains.

Infantry movement for so much of the time is almost silent. Now I'm not going to argue that it is BIs responsibility to have sounds working in mods or maps that were never designed for the vanilla game. And while on maps like Altis and Tanoa you have decent movement sounds and interaction with the world around it the sounds mostly have to do the terrain your walking on.

Let me explain. basically the only infantry movement sounds present in the game are footsteps on different surfaces and movement through trees and bushes.

A good example of a fully flushed out soundscape is that of JSRS mod. With JSRS you can hear the players clothing, little pieces of metal clanking about on your uniform and the material grinding against each other. The sounds totally simulate an entire body moving through the world, not just your feet hitting the ground.

DayZ standalone is another good example as you move you hear your gun clanking around, the different materials interacting with each other. Your players actually sounds like his whole body is simulated.

Considering in ArmA you are geared up far greater than in DayZ one would expect there would be more detailed sounds.

Anyway what is everyone's thoughts on this? Should BI considering improving the infantry movement sounds? Or are they perfect the way they are?

• Like 3

Regarding the current gear movement sounds in A3, they certainly don't generate the same level of ASMR responses in me as the gear movement sounds from A2 did....there was something so...sooothing about those particular sounds. Luckily there is a cool mod in the Workshop that incorporates A2 sounds into A3, and of course LJ's sound mod is first-rate in this regard too. 

• Like 1

I do agree that the gear sounds could be worked on, but I think it is a subjective thing.

Personally, I'm spending a lot of time with the Blackfish and tanks;  In the Blackfish, they didn't even put a reload sound in for the 105mm main cannon.  It silently chambers a new round...    Sorry, it does, but it sounds really quiet and you can only hear it when the engine is off...

Tanks also sound half-baked and the noise of the tracks is lacking, plus the servo sound of the turret is underwhelming.

I didn't want to turn this into a pissing contest (as I agree with you and I think it's nice when you have good feedback as to your actions from one of the few senses available to a player when gaming), but I think a concerted effort in a few areas would serve the game well.

• Like 1

Maybe this conversation got lost in the whole 'how loud should the footsteps be?' debate, but yep, it would be great to have gear movement sounds added/tweaked in the vanilla version.

Honestly I think the footstep sounds are fine, it is the rest of the sounds your body and equipment I believe should be making. I mean when you run you quite literally only hear your footsteps.

Currently, soldiers gear sounds are too quiet.

After sound volume increase (modded).

• Like 4

That modded video is a tad too loud, imo. It would quickly annoy the heck out of me.

34 minutes ago, lexx said:

That modded video is a tad too loud

This was done intentionally, so you could hear the difference.

What happens if you take of your clothes, will the sound still play?

36 minutes ago, andersson said:

What happens if you take of your clothes, will the sound still play?

This for me is the more interesting aspect.  The crossroad where immersion meets gameplay. 

Example : someone with recon uniform a light vest and rifle moving around a house downstairs trying to clear it making little noise.

compared to a guy with all the gear on an rpg, 7 nades 10 mags almost over encumbered making the same noise. 

It adds another layer to the selective loadout process. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, danil-ch said:

Currently, soldiers gear sounds are too quiet.

After sound volume increase (modded).

Nice clips. It should be noted however for anyone considering the modded volume is too loud. I would like to hear the sounds outside of the Virtual Arsenal. As we know the VA is very quiet with no ambient noise to drown out the sound of the gear. I would like to see a clip of a player moving about on Altis or through the jungles of Tanoa, also in a fire fight and moving around vehicles and other soldiers during patrol I think the louder version would actually fit in well.

1 hour ago, teabagginpeople said:

This for me is the more interesting aspect.  The crossroad where immersion meets gameplay. 

Example : someone with recon uniform a light vest and rifle moving around a house downstairs trying to clear it making little noise.

compared to a guy with all the gear on an rpg, 7 nades 10 mags almost over encumbered making the same noise. 

It adds another layer to the selective loadout process. 

Indeed.
The 'moving sounds' should be tied to the equipment and not the character..

Would also need a ton of variation because usually those sounds sound like a bad loop, no-one steps the same way each time in the same exact pose, and the terrain is not the same on each step, etc....

Personally I really wish sounds for tanks and their interiors would improve in particular. The cannon/MG sound should be muffled from inside. I'd also love to hear better reload sounds for tanks (mainly the Slammer and Kuma); something I added for tanks in Aegis - excluding the Varsuk - is a shell ejection sound, which I feel makes things a little more immersive. These small sounds of the crew actually operating the vehicle would just be wonderful, though. If you've ever played Battlefield 4, the sounds for driving tanks (and vehicles in general) are pretty good, especially sounds for crashing into stuff and landing on the ground after getting some air from a hill or ramp, which I'd love to see in Arma's ground vehicles.

• Like 2