HotBrass

How would you model this?

Hi all,

I'm stumped, after playing around In blender I'm looking to try and model a beret like this...

fb6d05ecd81231187097f688cbfb12cb--beret-

Does anybody have any guidance or advice on how I can achieve this?

Thanks In advance!

Start with the baseball cap from Samples_F.  Cut it up so you just have the skullcap.  Build your beret around that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply six_ten,

How would you go about modelling the flap? 

Kind Regards

You'll have a good idea of how to do that once you get the skullcap done.  Start there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HotBrass said:

How would you go about modelling the flap?

This is Arma forum not Blender forum ;-)

There are tons of Blender tutorials on youtube. 3D modelling is not easy, but an object like this is a nice starting project.

Basing it on an existing arma model is very good advice. Probably makes it easier to get it ready for Arma.

Thank you six_ten,

joot,

I appreciate It's an arma forum, I already tried to source an answer by looking on youtube and posting on a blender forum; But there was no answer to my question, hence why I came to ask In the modelling section of the arma forum.

I'll take the advice on board and start with what's been suggested.

Kind Regards

It's just that if you don't know how to approach creating such a beret in Blender, it's very hard to give useful advice without making large posts with screenshots etc.

For some 'external' advice my suggestions are:

- I can't find a blender tuturial on barets specifically, but there are a couple on hats in general, just search in youtube on 'blender hat'

- Searching on youtube for simple head tuturials in blender will show you some useful techniques for low-poly organic modelling. You could use the same techniques for a baret

If these are too difficult, start with introductory blender tutorials and try to make a cube into a house etc.

There's no quick and dirty way to do it, unless you are very experienced. You got to sacrifice Arma playing time if you want this :-)

• Like 1

Thanks joot,

I hear what your saying, I just needed a bump to get me started ;-)

Thanks

• Like 1

Just in case you're wanting to model this purely to get one in game, rather than for your own enjoyment of modelling, we (3CB) would be happy to include this in an update to our 3CB BAF Equipment pack. If interested, post a high quality image of the cap badge and Regiment name on our thread: 

The model was donated to us by a third party so we're not at liberty to share it, but all the best with your endeavours.

• Like 1

My understanding is that the "proper" way to do it is to use the sculpting tools in Blender, then retopologize the resulting horrendously huge polycount model to a lower poly one and proceed from there. I'm about to try exactly the same thing for the project I've been messing about with (early 1960s Royal Marines - but I'm a total noob too). I'm on my break at work right now but I'll see if I can find some stuff online a bit later that might help you at least get started. Wait out...

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Here is an instructional video that should give you a good idea of what sculpting in Blender involves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkVLgD8--c

Be aware, though, that it's going to take quite a while and a deal of study and practice before you will be comfortable doing any of this. I am trying this myself for the first time and I can produce the greatest looking misshapen lumps, but never anything like what I want. The next step from this would be retopoloizing the high poly beret to a lower poly one for use in-game. Search online for blender retopology. There are a number of decent videos on youtube covering this. then you'll have to bake the high poly details onto the low poly model to use as a normal map. Then comes the fun and games of actually getting it onto a toy soldier's head and into the game. I'm not sure of what that last part entails myself yet.

I'd also advise you look for dedicated blender forums. They're usuallly good at helping new guys if you show you are sincere and willing to work at it.

One other important thing I'd advise is to try to get pictures of actual soldiers wearing berets to use as a model. A beret stuck onto a mannequin head wont ever give the right look.

Sorry I can't help better than this. I'm a total noob too.

Edited by bundook