jinzor

ArmA 3: Laws of War - NATO Mil-Spec Casings

Okay so, weeks ago I played the Laws of War story campaign. There was a segment where...

Spoiler

... the main character suspects NATO (visually depicted as CTRG - Miller and James) being around the area after an airstrike, which may or may not have been by CSAT (the suspicion he wasn't going to share with the AAN reporter was maybe that CTRG conducted the airstrike on the FIA in an effort - which he doesn't know of - to steal the East Wind earthquake device from CSAT by destabilising the region. It makes sense since CSAT gains nothing from conducting that kind of illegal airstrike on such a pitiful force of guerillas - it only serves to damage their own, and the AAF's, reputation). The reason he suspects NATO / CTRG being there is because of the "NATO Mil-Spec casings" left behind. The developers are clearly trying to give us a major hint to the story here, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with this tiny detail. However small this detail is, it still confuses me - is the main character talking about the real-life 5.56x45mm mil-spec (M855) ammo or is he talking about a fictional variant of 6.5mm ammo for the fictional MX-series, which actually comes in cases (the 6.5mm ammo that the MX-series uses is apparently caseless), that NATO now use in the Armaverse? If he is talking about the 5.56mm mil-spec ammunition, why would he be concerned or have a suspicion of NATO being there since they don't use that type of ammunition anymore (EDIT: on Altis)? The FIA all use 5.56mm ammo - it's not suspicious that they could be using mil-spec variants. However, if he is talking about a fictional variant of 6.5mm ammo which is also labelled as "mil-spec" for the fictional MX-series, why would they leave behind cases when that type of ammo doesn't exist in the game?

So yeah, I really don't get this bit. Was this talk of...

Spoiler

... "NATO mil-spec casings" an oversight (i.e. the story writer didn't know that NATO / CTRG don't use 5.56mm ammo anymore for their black MX-series weapons on Altis, or that the current 6.5mm ammunition that NATO / CTRG uses is caseless), or is this plot point meant to be false (i.e. these were just some variants of bullets that the FIA used while fighting with CSAT and the main character is an idiot to suspect NATO / CTRG actually being there when they don't use cased 6.5mm or 5.56 mil-spec ammunition anymore in their inventories on Altis)?

4 minutes ago, jinzor said:

Okay so, weeks ago I played the Laws of War story campaign. There was a segment where...

Hide contents

... the main character suspects NATO (visually depicted as CTRG - Miller and James) being around the area after an airstrike, which may or may not have been by CSAT (the suspicion he wasn't going to share was maybe that CTRG conducted the airstrike on the FIA in an effort - which he doesn't know of, since he doesn't know of the device's existence - was to destabilise the region to steal the East Wind device from CSAT. It makes sense CSAT gains nothing from conducting that kind of strike on such a pitiful force of guerillas - it only serves to damage their own, and the AAF's, reputation). The reason he suspects NATO / CTRG being there is because of the "NATO Mil-Spec casings" left behind. The developers are clearly trying to give us a major hint to the story here, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with this tiny detail. However small this detail is, it still confuses me - is the main character talking about the real-life 5.56x45mm mil-spec (M855) ammo or is he talking about a fictional variant of 6.5mm ammo for the fictional MX-series, which actually comes in cases (the 6.5mm ammo that the MX-series uses is apparently caseless), that NATO now use in the Armaverse? If he is talking about the 5.56mm mil-spec ammunition, why would he be concerned or have a suspicion of NATO being there since they don't use that type of ammunition anymore? The FIA all use 5.56mm ammo - it's not suspicious that they could be using mil-spec variants. However, if he is talking about a fictional variant of 6.5mm ammo which is also labelled as "mil-spec" for the fictional MX-series, why would they leave behind cases when that type of ammo doesn't exist in the game?

So yeah, I really don't get this bit. Was this talk of...

Hide contents

... "NATO mil-spec casings" an oversight (i.e. the story writer didn't know that NATO / CTRG don't use 5.56mm ammo anymore for their MX-series weapons, or that the current 6.5mm ammunition that NATO / CTRG uses is caseless), or is this plot point meant to be false (i.e. these were just some variants of bullets that the FIA used while fighting with CSAT and the main character is an idiot to suspect NATO / CTRG actually being there when they don't use cased 6.5mm or 5.56 mil-spec ammunition anymore in their inventories)?

CTRG, along with the MX, uses SPAR-16s (HK416s).

Yeah but they didn't use SPAR-16s on Altis, only on Tanoa? Also, that visual depiction of... 

Spoiler

... James and Miller shows them with black MX-series weapons, like the ones they used in The East Wind campaign?

Just now, jinzor said:

Yeah but they didn't use SPAR-16s on Altis, only on Tanoa? Also, that visual depiction of... 

Hide contents

... James and Miller shows them with black MX-series weapons, like the ones they used in The East Wind?

It's probably just an oversight by the developers, they could replace the MXs with SPAR-16s. Also seeing as they have ENVGs, it's possible they do actually use the equipment they had on Tanoa on Altis too.

• Like 1

Yeah, if they haven't already replaced CTRG's black MX-series weapons with SPAR-16s (maybe even in the East Wind campaign as well - only for owners of APEX) then they should - it would make a lot more sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jinzor said:

Yeah, if they haven't already replaced CTRG's black MX-series weapons with SPAR-16s (maybe even in the East Wind campaign as well - only for owners of APEX) then they should - it would make a lot more sense.

Why only change that for Apex owners? As far as I know, there isn't a way to get your hands on a black MX in the campaign so that wouldn't be a problem :wink_o:

50 minutes ago, SpacePilotMax said:

As far as I know, there isn't a way to get your hands on a black MX in the campaign

Depending on what episode you're playing, you do get a chance to grab black variants of the MX:

Adapt:

Spoiler

A dead IoN PMC contractor has several black MXs stashed in the crate next to his corpse. Go scouting after you first arrive at Bomos and you can find the shipwreck located to the NW of the FIA camp (follow the coastline).

Win:

Spoiler

If you choose to find James then most of the dead CTRG members at the CSAT research facility have various black MX models.

• Like 1

Hide contents

... "NATO mil-spec casings" an oversight (i.e. the story writer didn't know that NATO / CTRG don't use 5.56mm ammo anymore for their black MX-series weapons on Altis, or that the current 6.5mm ammunition that NATO / CTRG uses is caseless), or is this plot point meant to be false (i.e. these were just some variants of bullets that the FIA used while fighting with CSAT and the main character is an idiot to suspect NATO / CTRG actually being there when they don't use cased 6.5mm or 5.56 mil-spec ammunition anymore in their inventories on Altis)?

Lt. James uses the ABR in the East Wind campaign :sol:  

For general interest, this is what NATO headstamps look like - the crosshair-like symbol indicates that the ammunition meets NATO specifications. Such casings should have the year and place of manufacture too. 

EVu1gHR.jpg

• Like 1