zgmrvn

Surface Painter - a simple toolbox for map makers

it's not, i directly implemented SCAR's function, however i think it's the early version with those two non-matching objects at poles

• Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing!

Any plans to add persistency / project management?

Can you add the ability to save an object pool? (eg. trees 1, trees 2, small shrubs) So that you dont have to add them again 1 by 1.

@1para{god-father} Yes. For simplicity, only tiff format is accepted in input. Try converting your image and retry.

@zafjr I need to discuss this with @zgmrvn , but yes I think we should be able to add that kind of feature. We'll keep you informed soon.

@_SCAR Can you please developped what you mean by "persistency / project management" ? In-game or outside as a standalone software ?

• Like 1

Thanks converter and all works :)   - must say this has given me the inspiration to get back working on my map again and touching up all the bits i missed !

awesome JOB !

18 hours ago, hashlych said:

@_SCAR Can you please developped what you mean by "persistency / project management" ? In-game or outside as a standalone software ?

I mean the possibility of saving your work and continuing at a later stage.

On 10/5/2017 at 10:32 AM, hashlych said:

Hi @miguel93041 .

I found the issue is in the 24-bit to 8-bit conversion process. Actually it's using the "Lossless Fast Pseudo-Quantization Algorithm" by Carsten Klein which is very fast. But it fails to convert your image (I don't know why). So my solution is to switch to another algorithm, which is more effective but slower (for very large images, it may take several minutes to do the conversion), but at least it works with that image.

I need to do further tests before validating that solution, but it seems to be the best one.

hashlych, I've been testing using a 40960 mask image and I can't get Surface Painter to write back to the tif

initially my tif was 24bit, but I shifted it to (indexed colour) 8bit in Photoshop and made sure it's lzw compressed - file is 4.28mb

Here is a check on the tif prior to testing in SP using ImageMagick:

E:\test\8bit\Final>magick identify -monitor -define registry:temporary-path=E:\Windows\Temp -limit memory 16mb -verbose iow_8bit.tif
load image[iow_8bit.tif]: 40959 of 40960, 100% complete
Image: iow_8bit.tif
  Format: TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)
  Mime type: image/tiff
  Class: DirectClass
  Geometry: 40960x40960+0+0
  Resolution: 72x72
  Print size: 568.889x568.889
  Units: PixelsPerInch
  Type: Palette
  Base type: TrueColor
  Endianess: LSB
  Colorspace: sRGB
  Depth: 8-bit
  Channel depth:
    Red: 8-bit
    Green: 8-bit
    Blue: 1-bit
 Transparent color: none
 Interlace: None
 Intensity: Undefined
 Compose: Over
 Page geometry: 40960x40960+0+0
 Dispose: Undefined
 Iterations: 0
 Compression: LZW

I'm getting these flags coming up but it never finishes the writing to file?

https://imgur.com/a/aOriG

Tried on 20480 project and that completes the image write in about 5-8 seconds.

Any chance Surface Painter could be made to us a different algorithm to support large images?

Bit more digging and even though imagemagick is showing 8bit - when I check in irfanview it was still 24bit!

https://imgur.com/a/2XZUH

so converted to 256 colour in irfanview and it now works in SurfacePainter with 40960 mask tiff

Wonderful

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rossoe said:

Bit more digging and even though imagemagick is showing 8bit - when I check in irfanview it was still 24bit!

https://imgur.com/a/2XZUH

so converted to 256 colour in irfanview and it now works in SurfacePainter with 40960 mask tiff

Wonderful

Nice !!

Glad to hear that you managed to solve your problem Rossoe!

Normally the addon should have automatically convert the original 24-bit image to a 8-bit one before writing the output.

I must miss something somewhere I guess :/

I have a problem when I try to use the Painter Tool

cGTp2mC.jpg

My mask image is 8-bit TIF LZW compressed

My ouaka_map.cfg (Layers.cfg)

Spoiler

class Layers
{
	class OKA_green_grass
	{
		texture = "";
		material = "OKA\ouaka\data\OKA_green_grass.rvmat";
	};

class OKA_savanna_grass
	{
		texture = "";
		material = "OKA\ouaka\data\OKA_savanna_grass.rvmat";
	};

class OKA_forest
	{
		texture = "";
		material = "OKA\ouaka\data\OKA_forest.rvmat";
	};

class OKA_reddirt
	{
		texture = "";
		material = "OKA\ouaka\data\OKA_reddirt.rvmat";
	};
};
class Legend
{
	picture = "mapLegend.png";

class Colors
	{
		OKA_green_grass[] = {{ 0, 240, 80 }};
		OKA_savanna_grass[] = {{ 0, 255, 115 }};
		OKA_forest[] = {{ 255, 250, 0 }};
		OKA_reddirt[] = {{ 0, 10, 255 }};
	};
};

@Kaleu Apparently it is because of the spaces bewteen the curly brakets and the color values. Try this :

OKA_green_grass[] = {{0, 240, 80}};

instead of :

OKA_green_grass[] = {{ 0, 240, 80 }};

• Thanks 1

Hey! First: Insane handy tool, im really glad to have found this. It seems to be problematic for me though: it did already work but now when i try to generate the surface mask.. it just tells me its generating the pixels now...and nothing happens at all. Or can this take some minutes to work for >100 painted pixels?

Greets,

Don

Hi,

I would like to know if there is any way to place objects, for example the crashBarrier, aligned.

Because the issue I have is that every single crash barrier faces different directions and need all of them facing the same to create a large barrier all the way throught the highway.

Im using the Edge tool and tried every parametre so far, Im stuck. 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Sentado said:

Hi,

I would like to know if there is any way to place objects, for example the crashBarrier, aligned.

Because the issue I have is that every single crash barrier faces different directions and need all of them facing the same to create a large barrier all the way throught the highway.

Im using the Edge tool and tried every parametre so far, Im stuck. 

Thanks!

Have you tried object placement tool? https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1242712395

It has a really good line tool and surface painting etc

Make sure you run install_requirements.bat first from the folder, the button in game doesn't always work right for some people