Sign in to follow this  
880zero

Import Smoothing Group Error

I've been battling this for a while and I just can't seem to figure it out. I've tried both .fbx and .3ds and nothing will retail the proper smoothing groups. Essentially what I've tried to do at this point is import a .obj into 3DS Max, then export as a .fbx, using smoothing groups, triangulate and preserve edge orientation checked. Nothing seems to work, what's the secret to this?

I triangulate the mesh via modifier in my modelling software (Maya in my case) so that it has explicit triangulation, and then export as .fbx rather than letting the exporter triangulate the mesh.

Yields the best results for me.

IIRC it's advised not to lock normals on export too.

Just pitching in here, I use the VM's bistudio txt exporter for max, you can find it in the arma 3 samples, it consistently gets good results and allows you to export rigged meshes. 

If you're having smoothing errors in o2, make sure you're using no more than 2 smoothing groups, I remember this was an issue I had going from max > o2 for some time. 

Thanks for the replies!

The models usually only have one or two smoothing groups, no more than that.

Where would I find the VM's bistudio txt exporter for max? Is it a script? I guess, more importantly, where would I find the Arma 3 samples?

• Like 1

It's a script, yiss,

arma 3 samples:
https://community.bistudio.com/wikidata/images/a/a7/A3_Character_Examples_1.1.zip

look for VM_s-P3D_Export.mcr

It's a macroscript so you install it like so: http://www.scriptspot.com/files/Run&Install_MacroScript.wmv

To use the script. 

Select the geo you would like to export, then press the save as button, save it as anything BUT 'temp.txt' and make sure its save to somewhere you'll remember. 
Then press export

Max will freeze, don't worry, it's doing its thing, when it becomes responsive again you're good to try and import the file 

in OB, go to "import"

"universal BIstudio TXT" is the file type you want find the file you named earlier and attempt to import it. 

if you get an exception, clear the model materials in max, add an edit poly modifier, then convert to editable poly, then retry. 

So some progress, this is where I'm at right now:

xnqPv.png

xnqW2.png

Obviously the two do not match. But, I'm getting closer!