johnnyboy

Last Tango in Tanoa - Episode 1: Missing Person [SP]

:yay:

Thanks man.  It was really fun to make.

• Like 1

Just released a script that is a byproduct of the Last Tango in Tanoa campaign.  This script converts an assaut boat (zodiac) into a civvy long wooden boat that is driveable by AI and player.  And can have static weapon mounted on it.

You can get the script here:  JBOY Longboat

If you've played Episode 1, please rate and comment on steam.  It motivates me to complete the next episodes and release more scripts!  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I feel a little cheesy pimping my mission like this, but if you played this mission and forgot to rate it on steam, please do so.   I bet my buddy a steak dinner I could get 5 stars by June, but I don't think it will make it as subscriptions and ratings taper off after a few weeks.  Help a brother get a steak dinner and rate this mission!!!  :)  The ending has to be worth a steak dinner...lol.

I have managed to get 4 stars in 4 days (with 35 ratings), but it takes a minimum of 100 ratings to get 5 stars I understand. Maybe episode 3 will get there, as I think it will be the best yet.  But Steam is Steam...which we all know is a funky and sometimes unfriendly place.  Ok, I'll shut up now and stop pimping...

5m9zb8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Damn, son, that's a tall order.

Shadow Fall only has 91 positive ratings, stuck at 4 stars. My SP mission has only 9 positive ratings and it's pretty good. What it got 1 negative rating?! People are so cruel, probably the guy with this comment "the personna cannot run more than 100 meters before being out of breath and then, walking." Seriously man, wtf? This is Arma, get used to it. LOL

Hey, I already rated the mission up. If you *lose* the bet, I'll buy you a steak dinner. Only caveat: it must be in Seattle. :drinking2:

• Like 1

@AZCoder thanks dude!  I feel I don't really deserve 5 stars for a short SP mission (but that doesn't stop me from pimping my mission!). When high quaility full campaigns like Shadow Fall and @Undeceived's Underdogs still sit at 4 stars, you know there is something wrong with the Steam rating system.   Seems like only 1 in 10, or 1 in 20 people bother to click the ratings button, which is too bad.  But as the wise @Mynock said, we don't create missions to increase the size of our e-penis, lol.

As for DownVoters, Steam should publish their home adresses...

No really, it's one of the most fun-tastic missions I ever played. That ending, holy cow. I will play it again when I have more time. Anxious to see the next ones too.

Underdogs was well named, it's the underrated underdog of campaigns (except it's missing dogs ... hmmmmmmm). It's easily one of my favorites despite that oversight.

You know what, ratings are dumb! I appreciate some kind words and word of mouth like I think most of us do. I mean, if I was doing this for stars, I should be checked into a mental ward. Not that I would be opposed to having 5 stars.... just sayin'. :z:

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, AZCoder said:

You know what, ratings are dumb! I appreciate some kind words and word of mouth like I think most of us do. I mean, if I was doing this for stars, I should be checked into a mental ward. Not that I would be opposed to having 5 stars.... just sayin'. 

Agreed...and lol.  I did get one negative rating so far, I'm pretty sure it was that sumbitch @froggyluv.  He's been awfully quiet around here lately. 

• Haha 3

He's just mad at the robotic AI. Don't take it personally. :icon16:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i haven't rated yet as i've so far spent the entire mission time driving round the tanoa mangroves with my fishing boat and dog! ;) I RP as an easily distracted gendarme

• Like 3

Calling me wise is probably a mistake lmao, but thanks homie. Off-topic buuuuuuut your longboat script got me thinking if maybe there's a way to use some of that code to replace the statics on vanilla vehicles like the offroad and the new jeep looking thingy that has a static with ones from mods through scripting vs a new model entirely. Anyway, I've got a catastrophic failure going on right now with a windows update that's screwing my system, but once I get that ironed out I'll give this mission a go.

Also don't read into the ratings too much cuz they're screwy. My Bariga mission shows 5 stars for me in my workshop, but 4 if I search it. It's never consistent, and even with 100% positive ratings, you have to hit certain thresholds for it to bump the count. Pretty sure like 175+ is required for 5 stars. It's a dumb system, like I said don't buy into it, but I get you have a steak at stake (hah, I'm so fuckin hilarious).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AZCoder said:

No really, it's one of the most fun-tastic missions I ever played. That ending, holy cow. I will play it again when I have more time. Anxious to see the next ones too.

Underdogs was well named, it's the underrated underdog of campaigns (except it's missing dogs ... hmmmmmmm). It's easily one of my favorites despite that oversight.

You know what, ratings are dumb! I appreciate some kind words and word of mouth like I think most of us do. I mean, if I was doing this for stars, I should be checked into a mental ward. Not that I would be opposed to having 5 stars.... just sayin'. :z:

Very interesting discussion, I also don't like the SW rating system. As for Underdogs, the 4 stars are technically deserved, as of 113 nine are negative. 

My mission Evil's Last Will is another story though. 4 stars too, 57 ratings, negative ratings: 1 :icon_biggrin:

But as it was said, it's not all about ratings. What motivates me most are comments and fair criticism. However, if you have a project with five stars you will have more people taking a look and trying it out. If you "only" have 4, your mission is crap and not worth it. :icon5:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Agreed...and lol.  I did get one negative rating so far, I'm pretty sure it was that sumbitch @froggyluv.  He's been awfully quiet around here lately. 

Who has time to rate Ive been pretty busy in your mission..

.. can you tell Ive been liftin'? Does my chest look bigger??

Srsly tho just started last nite - good fun so far (besides the 3 hour boat ride insertion that is)

• Haha 5

@froggyluv You are one knarly ass frog bruddah!  Wow.

BTW, I was visiting my local voodoo tarot card reader last night, and she said my Booger character is based on someone name "Fwoggy Wuv" (coincidence?), and that his fate shall be the same as Booger's.  But I don't believe in that crap, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

BTW, I'm looking for a machete object and two badass shotguns (one pump, one auto).  The shotguns and machete are central to my next two missions (with some interesting scripted fx I'm keeping quiet on for  now).   The mod I was using has been banned on steam, so episodes 1 and 2 are stuck until I find a replacement.

Note:  A big combat knife might suffice for the machete.  The machete can be an object...it does not have to be a weapon.  And I would prefer NOT to use the milk-toast CUP shotgun...

Any shotgun and machete/big knife mod suggestions?

• Like 1

I think RHS has a shotgun or two, not sure about an auto shotgun though but I think it has a couple breaching pump-type shotguns. Machete I have no clue. Isn't there an ax in the game as a prop? Or am I imagining that?

• Like 1

Just now, Mynock said:

I think RHS has a shotgun or two, not sure about an auto shotgun though but I think it has a couple breaching pump-type shotguns. Machete I have no clue. Isn't there an ax in the game as a prop? Or am I imagining that?

Thanks, I'll look at RHS.  The axe is my fallback position, but it really doesn't fit with the setting.  I may end up using it though.

Yeah, RHS USAF specifically I think has the shot guns if I'm remembering correctly.

Gave ya an upvote on the mission too, so now you're under pressure that it won't disappoint me when I'm able to play it :f: lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

@froggyluv You are one knarly ass frog bruddah!  Wow.

BTW, I was visiting my local voodoo tarot card reader last night, and she said my Booger character is based on someone name "Fwoggy Wuv" (coincidence?), and that his fate shall be the same as Booger's.  But I don't believe in that crap, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

Berrrrry Interdasting... I too have been known to keep council with a very talented Jamaican 'Reader of the Leaves' and "Roller of the joints erhm i mean Stones who also revealed to me by birdspeak, that the starring character Mr. Flatch U. Lance, in my upcoming mission 'Dog. Meet Kitty!' is based on a fellow i may know........ "FawnieJoy".

Another coincidence?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi johnnyboy,

really enjoying your mission so far, but I came across a problem:

Spoiler

After Boomer has led us to the outhouse and we did some panic firing on the snakes, I order him to track the murderers, but I highly suspect the clever dog to just pretend he has a scent; seems much more likely that he wants to have an extended walk in the park with us: he is zigzagging with us all over the island, sometimes turning around an running in the direction we came from or backtracking, as one may call it.  At the beginning of this looong walk, one of my teammates said "Shouldn't you be ordering him to track?" - Which I promptly did (again), just in case.  Also repeated the track order in regular intervals, but still it loks like a rather random movement that Boomer does. 

Maybe this is connected with another oddity: below the farmhouse of the murdered uncle is some sort of hypodermic on the ground.  I can't pick it up, though.  Should it trigger something?

Other than that, I have a few mod ideas for your machete & shotgun craving:

• The RHS shotgun is quite cool, especially with the so-called "Doomsday Buckshot" it offers
  • Warfare Thai has an AWESOME selection of shotguns added in the last update; their ammo is not comptatible with BIS or RHS, but it offers really cool shell-by-shell reloading and different ammo types like flechette and HE
  • For melee, I was quite satisfied with KA Melee weapons; it has knives, machetes, axes and a crossbow, too!  But that is taken down ATTOW, so maybe try this alternative from Maxjoiner: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=33693

Keep up your great work to bring man's best friends into ARMA!

• Like 2

@touristthanks for exercising my dog.

after the outhouse he should go into heel mode or you tell him to heel.  Search the area and he should soon find the scent, bark, and run in circles.  A track hint should pop up.  Now give track command and he should be on the right trail.  You are first to report this problem, so not sure why.[/spoiler]

Thanks for weapon tips, will check them out.

@johnnyboy  I hope you won't think of less of me, but I may have had a similar issue. But I just told the dog to heel a couple times, walked in a circle while humming live and let die, then told him to track and all was good. It's so easy to control the dog that I didn't really think of it until now.

• Like 1

Humming Live and Let Die is key.  Boomer loves that song.

• Like 1

Not to inflate your ego, but I went into the Workshop and saw this

topdog.jpg

Impressive. Most impressive.

28 minutes ago, AZCoder said:

Not to inflate your ego, but I went into the Workshop and saw this

Impressive. Most impressive.

Don't jinx me bro!  Is it too early to sharpen my steak knife?

• Like 1

Will be trying out your new mission soon, I'm sure I"ll have lots of questions for you about scripting when I'm done lol

• Like 1