markoef

[WIP] Horizon Islands - COS (Tanoan Special Forces)

xg3xU25.png

HICOS

Horizon Islands - Commandement des Opérations Spéciales

SOF Gear for Tanoan forces

DESCRIPTION

HICOS tires to aim for quality over quantity, giving Tanoa SOF gear to be used in missions as AI. Or gear that can generally be used in a jungle/woodland environment.

The mod will include new models, as well as retextures/alternations from already excisting mods. Process will be displayed on this thread, and suggestions or questions regarding the contents of the mod can be asked here. Please note that the mod will only include gear such as backpacks, vests, uniforms and head- and facewear. There will be no weapons included within this pack, and they will be free of choice by the end user.

HICOS is responsible for raids and special reconnaissance against Horizon Island's cartels and criminal organisations, such as Syndikat. They work alongside the gendarmerie to keep the Horizon Islands safe. HICOS is well funded, and uses primarily western equipment and vehicles.

For questions or requests; Steam Profile

Please keep in mind that all textures/models are work in progress, and can be changed through the development of this modification.

VNf021D.png

H0BOMmI.png

CONTENT

Currently working on;

- LBT 6094, various setups, (new model)

- Crye Precision Gen 3 uniforms, various colours and patterns,

- Booniehats, various patterns,

- Berets, versions dependent on units, (new model)

- Opscore helmets, various colours and patterns, (new model)

- MICH helmets, various colours and patterns, (new model)

- PVS 21, with COTI module, CEHUD module and regular, (new model)

...and various backpacks in different colours and patterns.

IMAGES

Spoiler

More WIP updates to follow...

Future plans are everywhere right now, I'm open for suggestions and willing to include vehicles later down the road.

The mod will be a WIP for a while, and be added on frequently.

All camo patterns used in this addon are made from scratch, and can be shared on request.

• Like 8

Ooh, this could be very intresting. There has been a few attempts at a Tanoan Armed Forces/Army mod, including my own (No link) , but you having your own assets to add additional variation to the faction will be great. 

Will the mod have dependencies on other mods, or will it work standalone?

WIP UPDATE 0.4

Images by Ineptaphid

eCLp6Ek.jpg

bJdOXTF.png

mrpLc7u.jpg

tfoqrDT.png

SWrZc9B.jpg

BPYmx0y.png

KNOWN ISSUES

Spoiler

WIP 0.4

- US Flag displayed on gear instead of Horizon Islands

- Textures missing on helmet

- Textures missing on pouches

All issues will be sorted next update

• Like 4

UPDATE

I've been working on various new models with a main focus on clothing. There are several shirts, and a few pants that I have currently made and those will be included in the HICOS addon. In addition to this I have been working on new pouches for on the LBT 6094. Furthermore I have decided to also include vehicles, I'll be making several textures for aircraft. As well as adding my own vehicles such as ATVs later down the road.

CM1XS06.png

I understand there are some issues with the model as it's currently shown. It has been updated since and tweaked to look better.

Image was chosen because at the time I had no better picture to display, and I'll make some more once the models have been included in ARMA.

• Like 2

On 28/08/2017 at 0:34 AM, jarrad96 said:

Ooh, this could be very intresting. There has been a few attempts at a Tanoan Armed Forces/Army mod, including my own (No link) , but you having your own assets to add additional variation to the faction will be great. 

Will the mod have dependencies on other mods, or will it work standalone?

The mod will be dependent on RHS USAF, for now that's the only depencency as I try to keep it light. Some models like RoadRunner's 6094 will be included within the mod itself, this has obviously been cleared with RoadRunner himself and he has given me permission to use it as a base for new pouch models.

It looks good for a WIP but honestly just seems a bit too bright while being too dark...Its hard for me to convey that thought correctly other than saying that but something isn't quite right about the coloring in the greens.

6 hours ago, Nichols said:

It looks good for a WIP but honestly just seems a bit too bright while being too dark...Its hard for me to convey that thought correctly other than saying that but something isn't quite right about the coloring in the greens.

The colours still have to be tweaked a bit, would desaturating help fixing the issue? Or recolouring the camouflage pattern itself?

7 hours ago, Nichols said:

which camo are you talking about? there are 3 different patterns, the main camo which looks like flecktarn is great for jungle but other two needs a bit tweaking

That beret looks really sharp, it has a more european style look, which I like very much.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, yevgeni89 said:

That beret looks really sharp, it has a more european style look, which I like very much.  

Thank you, it will get an emblem soon. However I'm still debating on the colours. I feel like Maroon and Commando Green would be the way to go, and I guess I'll make two with different emblems.

MINOR UPDATE

Also, I have some more WIP models to show. Lately I've been working on a PVS 21 model which will be added to HICOS as an extra. I'm still struggeling with the overlay (If someone knows how to work scopemodels for them please let me know!). Overall the model is nearing completion and will be worked on a bit more to create a decent highpoly mesh to bake a normal map from. As for now I would like to share one of the eyepieces with you guys (can be found in main post too). Please note that the dots and circles are only for reference purposes and are nowhere near the actual end product;

lpqyp3U.png

The final product will come in three versions, the regular plain PVS-21, one with a COTI (Thermal) module attached to it, and one with the CEHUD (Heads Up Display) module.

Thanks to Baago we have worked together on some POCs to see how this would work in game, as per usual I would like to remind you that this is WIP and we are no where close to releasing the functions like this. Don't be worried that it doesn't suit your expectations right now, as we have no meaning of releasing the product in it's current state.

FBPIl9j.png             m6CKtXO.png

Regular NVG (for reference)                                                                          COTI Module (WIP)

• Like 6

Maroon has always signified para/airborne forces to my knowledge, and green has been synonymous with special forces I.E Green Berets or Royal Marine commando and the French Foreign Legion , but who says you can't have both? and re-purpose one or the other? :) 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 6:00 AM, markoef said:

The colours still have to be tweaked a bit, would desaturating help fixing the issue? Or recolouring the camouflage pattern itself?

I would go for lighter colors in the pattern myself if it was easily done without making it too flat if that makes it sound right.

2 hours ago, Nichols said:

I would go for lighter colors in the pattern myself if it was easily done without making it too flat if that makes it sound right.

And which of the three patterns would you like to have changed?

5 hours ago, yevgeni89 said:

Maroon has always signified para/airborne forces to my knowledge, and green has been synonymous with special forces I.E Green Berets or Royal Marine commando and the French Foreign Legion , but who says you can't have both? and re-purpose one or the other? :) 

They would be commandos and airborne then with their own colours and emblem. The idea behind HICOS is that it's more than one unit. Its like JSOC for example.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 0:52 AM, markoef said:

And which of the three patterns would you like to have changed?

Well personally that neon green looking bright pattern just needs to disappear...The only camo's I have seen that nasty were the US Army ACU's and the Chinese blue stuff. The one I would drastically change is the one that has the super light (almost white) in the pattern and the one I might just subdue and keep the pattern is the really dark green one. It has the best pattern to me but just seems to stand out too much. If this was a real unit or nation I can't imagine them changing up their camo patterns that much for a small force like what this seems to be.

27 minutes ago, Nichols said:

Well personally that neon green looking bright pattern just needs to disappear...The only camo's I have seen that nastly were the US Army ACU's and the Chinese blue stuff. The one I would drastically change is the one that has the supre light (almost white) in the pattern and the one I might just subdue and keep the pattern is the really dark green one. It has the best pattern to me but just seems to stand out too much. If this was a real unit or nation I can't imagine them changing up their camo patterns that much for a small force like what this seems to be.

Thank you for your input, if you would've read the description you would've seen that I stated them as being well funded. All uniforms have three (some four) versions of flatcolour in their shirt. 'Neon green' is not a camouflage I personally recognise and neither do any of the other people I've talked to. 

After your earlier messages I have tested out all colours at nearly every location in Tanoa, and found them overall to be working the way they should be. As per personal preferences you might have (I assume these come from an artistic point of view) I'll be willing to share my photoshop files with you, so that you may make your own design however you desire, rather than saying something has to go.

Again thank you for your input, I appreciate your efforts and I'll surely look into it.

This is the one I am referring to from your linked Imgur files earlier....it just doesn't fit at all and looks really bad in my opinion. I would be willing to help you in any way and test these out but again this one is just nastly looking in a bad way.

LrtY7s2.png

You do realise this is a WiP ? What may seem "nasty" to you, is quite aesthetic to others, you're under no obligation to download the end result either, and you maybe pleasantly surprised with the end product, then again you may not be.

Constructive criticism is all well and good, and points are normally taken on board, but stating something is just "nasty" brings nothing to the table.

Your offer to help whilst admirable, is also a tad disingenuous to the author too after your previous comments, it's more or less telling him you can do the textures better.. that's perhaps your cue to put in the graft, and create your very own Tanoan Special Forces addon perhaps?

• Like 9

SMALL UPDATE

Due to recent critics and helpful input I have decided to change the digital camouflage pattern seen in pictures, which I'll upload pictures of later. Furthermore I have been working on finishing the PVS 21 model.

It's not fully finished, but here is a new picture;

VNf021D.png

• Like 6

SMALL UPDATE

I finally got around to work some more on this mod, and decided to finish something I promised to a good friend some time ago. I figured it would fit the mod nicely and decided to include it. Thank you to RoadRunner for helping me put this thing together. We've both been working hard on this, and it's nearing completion to be tested. He'll include it in some of his mods, and I have given him full access to the sourcefiles.

Now for the tiny grand reveal (MORE PICTURES TO COME);

dRSNIcK.jpg?width=807&height=658

5Pu2HJPr.jpg?width=1168&height=657

3M Peltor Comtac IV Hybrids! Or as some people like to refer to them as giant hearing aids (not the disease).

NOTE: HELMET AND UNIFORM NOT INCLUDED IN MOD.

I have also worked on the Berets and one of them has been finished (modeled and textured), and is nearing completion to be added in a test package. This beret will belong to one of the two 'branches' of HICOS, the HICOS Commandos Marine (more pictures to follow as soon as it has been put in the test package). These will also be reshaped later to fit the Comtac IV Hybrids over them;

Beret.png

The beret is currently Commando Green, with a gold anchor and black leather rim.

Which will be tweaked and displayed once it is included for testing.

• Like 10

If you don't mind me asking have you selected a replacement camouflage as of yet or is it still on the drawing board ?

TINY UPDATE

I suppose?

SXRur0H.png

@yevgeni89, I have chosen to remove all camouflages other than the main camouflage shown in the pictures above (flecktarn-ish one), and the Tanoan version of RealTree. With a focus on expanding onto other projects (fictional or actual SF groups), I have chosen to keep this project smaller in terms of camouflages. Currently there are sixteen unique textures of the Crye Gen 3 alone. Four berets, six opscore helmets (new model coming soon), three MICH 2000s (plain, updates coming later making it atleast nine unique ones). Having more choice in colour for all these things would lead to total nightmare for me to put everything together, and I assume it will turn down people from downloading my kit due to it being too big.

:don15:

• Like 4