Undeceived

Is this mission broken for you too?

Guys, please help me...

After some months not touching this mission (it's part of a campaign), today I try to load it and immediately Arma crashes with this error: 0xC0000005_-_ACCESS_VIOLATION. It worked without a problem before.

Could you please try to open it in 3Den to see if it's broken for you too or if it at least opens and tells you that you need addon X, addon Y, etc.? The latter would be the sign that it works for you.

Oh, you need CUP to open it.

Mission download at OneDrive

If it's broken for you too - any idea how to fix it? The problem seems to lie in the mission.sqm as I tried to remove all other scripts and stuff, but no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I have spent a lot of time on this. :down: Thanks!

Not downloaded it but, taking a guess here... I think CUP addon dependency names may have changed or one of the CUP addons have been removed possibly. If the mission.sqm is not binarized then just remove them all and re-open/save the mission again.

To add to HazJ's recommendation, if  the mission is binarized, simply follow my instruction on a similar topic here:

Hello guys.

I tried what you suggested but unfortunately the problem seems to be bigger than that.

What I tried:

1. In mission.sqm remove the content of addons[]= {};
  2. Additionally remove the content of the class AddonsMetaData
  3. Merge the mission into a new one.
  4. I even created a completely new file (thinking that maybe the file itself is broken and not the content :icon_biggrin:)

All of these cause an immediate crash to desktop with the above mentioned error.

I'd be happy if the mission at least opened and told me that addon X, addon Y is needed. But this doesn't even happen.

Any more ideas? Could anyone download it to check it in their game?

I'm a bit desperate here... :headscratch: Any input is welcomed!

@HazJ @jshock

Hi man, just tried to load the mission......crash to desktop i'm afraid.

Ok, I think we're getting closer.

I again removed the contents of the class AddonsMetaData in the mission file, but this time only the CUP stuff, nice and clean. Left the official A3 stuff in there.

Now it didn't CTD but opened the map with the ingame error "Error when loading the scenario". And the map is completely empty.

So @HazJ, this points in the direction you mentioned in your post... (changed CUP addon dependency names)

EDIT:

This is what the .rpt says when I try to open the mission :icon_biggrin:

21:44:08 Wrong color format 

Just curious....how old is the mission, you said it was made a few months ago? 

It's a mission of my campaign Black Lands which I ported to Arma 3. I think I touched it (and the rest of the missions) in May or so. But all of them were openable yesterday, except for this one.

Are you on Dev/Stable/RC? 

Best of luck mate, be a shame if you lost the work. 

• Like 1

As the RPT returned

Wrong color format

I did what y-shin recommended in this post.

Then the game CTD again, but the RPT at least gave me a list of all missing addons. This is again a progression, even though a small one... Still being in the dark.

On 8/28/2017 at 1:50 AM, HazJ said:

Not downloaded it but, taking a guess here... I think CUP addon dependency names may have changed or one of the CUP addons have been removed possibly. If the mission.sqm is not binarized then just remove them all and re-open/save the mission again.

We take care not to change the names, and usually if we do that we introduce scope=1 variants of the old definition. Even then, though, it shouldn't crash.

Did you send the crash files to @dwarden?

Yeah... I have no idea what is going wrong then.

@Undeceived

Take a look at this version of your mission http://www.azcoder.com/arma3/brokenmission2.Chernarus.7z

There were a number of class objects that start with CUP_A2_ which I completely removed and replaced with class names that are found in the editor now. I didn't necessarily replace them with the *correct* objects, but if you have an app like BeyondCompare, you can easily find what I changed.

Also I was still getting crashes until I stopped loading a mod called Eden Objects. I had to stop loading that, and make those changes, before I could load this version of the mission. So I'm not saying 100% what is wrong, but it should narrow it down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZCoder said:

Also I was still getting crashes until I stopped loading a mod called Eden Objects. I had to stop loading that, and make those changes, before I could load this version of the mission. So I'm not saying 100% what is wrong, but it should narrow it down.

That´s Kydoimo´ s addon that adds furnitures and objects to enhance Vanilla and mission making, dang he hasn´t touched it since early 2016, so the last arma3 updates must have broken it, gotta warn him, thou I thinks he´s somewhat busy to look after this =/

Gotta get rid of it for a while, as I´m getting this acess violation error with plenty missions too

Cheers

I would suggest others test it too, it was just my observation. Could be coincidental that one version of the mission loaded after I stopped loading that mod.

Yay, :yay: I found the (one) guilty code line! :icon_biggrin: Thanks a lot to all for their participation! If not for you I'd not have found it.

@AZCoder, I downloaded this program you said (BeyondCompare) and compared the "original" sqm to your new one. There I saw that one class name was corrupt. Instead of being

class item1014

it was

class IteCUP_sgun_M1014

Looks like a code replacing issue (in order to not waste years by manually replace code I let Notepad++ do that for me in one round).

BUT as I said, I never would have found that if not by your help, even though it was a coincidence because BeyondCompare only showed the line because you somehow were able to open the mission and save it again. :icon_biggrin: A thousand thanks!

PS: Of course this means that all CUP class names, etc. are ok.

• Like 1

Funny, I thought I had caused that mistake when I saw it yesterday. But it was still crashing me afterward which maybe was the other addon I was running ... I don't know. Anyway, looking forward to this super campaign.

• Like 1