Sign in to follow this  
Tex -USMC-

Splinter cell

I just finished this game, and what can I say, wow. This game is truly awesome, sporting deep stealth gameplay, well thought out levels, and graphics and sound that are perfect for a stealth game. The lighting is the best that has ever been seen in a game, period. If you have an XBox, go get this game now, and if you don't, grab this game as soon as it comes out.

13.jpg

http://www.splintercell.com

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Nov. 25 2002,02:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Because there is no light source to cast a shadow where he is.<span id='postcolor'>

Then how come the room is all lit up instead of being dark? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Nov. 25 2002,02:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are you going to continue to be a smartass or do you have something to add?<span id='postcolor'>

I would just expect a (modern) game about sneaking and stealth to have realistic shadows. (And AI that would actually spot them) It looks weird in the first pic as everything is like in daylight and there is no shadows.

The game does. Just because one screen has no shadow in it is no reason to discount the game. An enemy can detect you by your shadow, which makes sneaking up and knocking people out sometimes very difficult, because they see a shadow sneaking up behind them, and for some reason go for their gun tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Nov. 25 2002,01:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there/will there be a PC version?<span id='postcolor'>

I beleive I read that in PCGamer. So my guess is yes.

I usually don't play games that aren't first person shooters, but if a demo comes out I'll give it a shot.

looks great. Ive never been able to get good at these types of games. I just have the tendency to run in. Kill everyone then ask a question. Shoot somemore and then ask another question after everyone is dead.

So i doubt ill go out and buy it. Ill give the demo a shot though. tounge.gif

Jester, it is possible to play Rambo-style, but it is very easy to get yourself killed doing that, and it is generally more advisable to stay stealthy. And it is much more difficult and deep than MGS2, and you have to use yer mind more than your trigger finger. Also, the lockpick kicks ass- you move the left thumbstick around until the controller vibrates, then you sorta jiggle it until one of the tumblers releases. Then you repeat until you jimmy the lock. It is incredibly fun, and is really tense when you have to get into a door before a guard rounds the corner or your target escapes etc. Really compelling stuff.

I'll be checking this game out for sure... loved Thief games so... great captures.

Pc version is out in Janurary i think..

Seriously though, this game really kicks ass- it is a completely different type of game than MGS2, so if you hated that game, dont let that turn you off- Splinter Cell is more like Thief, and can best be described as that series except with some really freakin awesome graphics, hi-tech gadgets that actually have a purpose, and an assault rifle and a pistol instead of a sword and a bow.

Not to change the subject too much, but I was just wondering...

Speaking of Thief, any news of Thief III? I heard a rumor that another developer had taken over where Looking Glass left off. Thief II left you kind of hanging there at the end.

Ion Storm took over Thief 3 development as I recall. No news yet. Oh and thanks a bunch, that comment brought back the memory of Looking Glass's untimely demise. They made so many excellent games, but never got the success they deserved...

In reference to the lack of shadows in the first screenshot. Isnt he actually standing in the shadow allready? The light from the window shines on the floor, the rest of the floor is slightly darker...in shadows. Or am I wrong?

i think there should be a shadow behind him.

on the other hand, i don't know where that shadow image on wall located on right hand side of character is coming from.

I think that wall could be some kind of semitransparant screen and the light is coming from the other side, maybe.

I have been going to the official site for weeks now and have watched like every video they released and if those of you that have good net connections i suggest you watch them because some are up to half an hour long and the developers speak a lot of good things.

One of the developers said that his friend that tested the game was going into a kitchen at one point and threw a grenade in. Without thinking he ran in straight afterwards, and you know kitchens are full of nice tomatoes and lettuce and KNIVES!, well the grenade went off, food all over the walls and without them knowing they even scripted it into the game one of the knives from out of the rack came flying towards him and SLICE, straight through the head, game over lol

It was cool to listen to biggrin.gif