Sign in to follow this  
edstraker

Getting Ai unit to Banzai charge ?

Hi,I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I really want to get to grips with this,so if it has please excuse me.Although I have had Arma 3 for sometime,I am desparate to get my opposing Ai troops to Banzai Charge,ie to make an all running out charge at my chosen side's line within a editor mission I am building,regardless of them being killed in the process.

They just seem to just fanny about,and even when running across say a field,every now and then they'll pause,which just doesn't look realistic.At present in the editor I am using Move,Aware,Full Speed,Open Fire etc as my command.

Is there a way to get them to keep on running at the target opposition even when they are under fire?

My mission is using WW2 Marine Corps vs Imperial Japanese Infantry,so I want the Japanese to Banzai in classic style,maybe I'm asking too much of the Arma 3 module,if I am please tell me.

Any help or advice would be warmly appreciated,thanks

This makes a unit charge to the next waypoint, no matter if under fire or not as long as there's a waypoint:

{this disableAI _x} foreach ["AUTOCOMBAT","TARGET","AUTOTARGET","SUPPRESSION","COVER"];

The unit will not fire back under any circumstance, to revert the changes simply copy the above line and replace disableAI with enableAI.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your help Grumpy Old Man,as a complete noob,where should I be putting this data,do I put it in the waypoint init that the unit is going to ?

For ease of use you could put this into init.sqf:

EDstraker_fnc_setBanzaiMode = {

params ["_unit",["_enable",false]];

if (_enable) exitWith {

{_unit disableAI _x} foreach ["AUTOCOMBAT","TARGET","AUTOTARGET","SUPPRESSION","COVER"];
		_unit setbehaviour "AWARE";//in case unit is already in combat

true
	};

{_unit enableAI _x} foreach ["AUTOCOMBAT","TARGET","AUTOTARGET","SUPPRESSION","COVER"];
	true
};

This defines the function. Now every time you want a unit to charge to its next waypoint use this:

_banzai = [YourUnitName,true] call EDstraker_fnc_setBanzaiMode;

To make the unit using default behavior again:

_banzai = [YourUnitName] call EDstraker_fnc_setBanzaiMode;

You can put this anywhere you want. Init field, trigger, etc.

Cheers

Wow,thanks Grumpy Old Man,this is great,I'll try it out tonight !

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 4:14 AM, Grumpy Old Man said:

For ease of use you could put this into init.sqf:

EDstraker_fnc_setBanzaiMode = {

params ["_unit",["_enable",false]];

if (_enable) exitWith {

{_unit disableAI _x} foreach ["AUTOCOMBAT","TARGET","AUTOTARGET","SUPPRESSION","COVER"];
		_unit setbehaviour "AWARE";//in case unit is already in combat

true
	};

{_unit enableAI _x} foreach ["AUTOCOMBAT","TARGET","AUTOTARGET","SUPPRESSION","COVER"];
	true
};

This defines the function. Now every time you want a unit to charge to its next waypoint use this:

_banzai = [YourUnitName,true] call EDstraker_fnc_setBanzaiMode;

To make the unit using default behavior again:

_banzai = [YourUnitName] call EDstraker_fnc_setBanzaiMode;

You can put this anywhere you want. Init field, trigger, etc.

Cheers

Sorry, i am trying to do the same thing but am very new to the editor, where exactly do i put "_banzai = [,true] call EDstraker_fnc_setBanzaiMode;"

and what do I put in for "YourUnitName." Do I put the designation of the squad, alpha 6-2, or the name of the unit type, which would b e "Trooper." (Am using starwars mod)

2 hours ago, Sarge.. said:

Sorry, i am trying to do the same thing but am very new to the editor, where exactly do i put "_banzai = [,true] call EDstraker_fnc_setBanzaiMode;"

and what do I put in for "YourUnitName." Do I put the designation of the squad, alpha 6-2, or the name of the unit type, which would b e "Trooper." (Am using starwars mod)

With scripting it's best to take things literally, so if something says "YourUnitName" it doesn't mean squad designation, heh.

Usually refers to the variable name you're giving a unit inside the editor:

1. Right Click on Unit
  2. Attributes...
  3. Object Init: Variable Name

You can put the function call into a trigger, script or basically anywhere you seem fit.

Cheers

so could I just put it in a waypoint's attributes at 

1. Waypoint:expression

2. On activation

Or do i have to figure out how to use triggers?

Or should I just stop asking questions and watch some tutorials?