Sign in to follow this  
FSPilot

Airsoft & Paintball and those in between.

There are indeed milsim events in the UK, pretty much everything from normal site owners running them on their land. To event run by company's like Sterling Services, which run big milsim events on MOD training grounds such as Senny Bridge, Copehill Down & ITC Catterick.

You'll find most of the events run on MOD grounds will be "strict" to the point of a military exercise. People pay good money for a weekend doing it (£60 +) for this very reason. Usually you'll go out onto the training areas friday night / sat morning. Be deployed to you own team's starting area. Then the game will run for 24hrs or more staight, so you fight/sleep/eat/shit in the field.

There are sometimes creature comforts at events, more than you'd get in the military lol, like burger vans and mobile loos so you dont have to find a bush. Or more improtantly mess up the MOD's property :)

At the end of the day, it all depends on what experience you want. Personally have done the whole "live in the field" with the army in the past it doesnt appeal to me to rough it for the sake of it & pay for the privalage of doing so. I just like the casual side of airsoft, but each to their own. I've done a couple of the bigger events in the past. Where ive gone along to help out the staff running it, even going out with an AK and playing an insurgent for the weekend.

Usually the events are very well organised and generally people always come away with good memories.

Edited by Shadow.D. ^BOB^

Can an airsofter explain to me the need to dress up in camo, and sew SAS/Delta/whatever tags to thier uniform? I'm assuming it's a minority within the sport?

I mean, it doesn't make you any better at airsoft, surely it's pointless and walty? Or is half the fun in pretending you're a soldier? Whats the mindset?

Myself, if I were to ever do it (unlikely), i'd rock up in jeans, T shirt, and maybe wearing my webbing (gotta carry mags somewhere I suppose). But seeing people with unearnt para wings, royal marine flashes, SAS capbadges etc sewn onto thier uniform makes my blood boil. Especially when they say something like "well I play with an ex Para and...." ...So what, doesn't make you one, does it? Aside from that I don't like DPM being made to look crap. tounge2.gif But that goes for anyone wink_o.gif

It is a general rule by all respectable airsofters that you DO NOT WEAR insiginias or ranks that you did not earn.

If you do and you play at events that I attend there is a good chance that you will get called out on it in front of everyone.

Here are a few pics of a milsim event that I attended at Ft. Hood Texas recently.

It used 2 of the 3 Ft. Hood MOUT sites for play. They are basically mock versions of middle eastern towns.

It is a Lions Claws event called Operation Bulldog IV.

You can check them out on you tube. Bulldog and Irene are the big ones.

Here are a ton of pics if anyone is interested in looking at them:

http://www.kapowwe.com/john-lu-bulldog-2009.html

GEDC0622-1.jpg

bulldog_airsoft_0386.jpg

IMG_0447640x480.jpg

IMG_0599640x480.jpg

Edited by ICE-Raver

what about suit games?

The thing I find most likeable with airsoft is suit games. Where role-playing is in the main seat.

From what I've heard, suitgames are often based upon cops'n'robbers. Mafia cartells or something play against CIA-like players. I have even heard about people buying distance microphones, tapping equipment and other special agent equipment to make the simulation as close to real life as possible. Sometimes people fly around Europe picking up packages, attending "secret" meetings and such, maybe even without fireing a single bullet during the whole game.

And of course, in more traditional milsim events, you'll have non-combatants playing civilians, police, refugees, hostages and so forth.

Sparks: I think I am going to Berget myself, hope to see you there then :D

About suit games. We had a "simple" game when I was younger (but old enough to live my own life). Killer.

Every monday all of the involved took a small paper from a box, one of them had the word killer and another target. The target had to tell everyone but the killer remained unknown. The rule was simple, the killer had to kill the target and get away with it so nobody knew who he/she was. He had one week. Ofcourse nobody else out in the town should see it.

So for one week the target had to live his normal life without his family or other friends understanding that it was something special. The target had to be paranoid and could defend himself (and here is my point in this thread) with softair guns. It could be quite exciting wearing a hidden gun in normal life. You couldnt get caught because fo the game rules but you really didnt because of the shame wearing a fake gun and the chaos afterwards. So you had to do it safe and not always wear it.

Then ofcourse booby traps and whatever counted too. (It is very interesting to break in at a friends place to booby trap his bed, or to check your own door and windows before going in ;) )

We also had a version where it was 2 teams and one was a target in one team. Then you could have body guards and the killer could ahve cars following the target and so on. Coudl easilly end up in a shoot out somewhere on a roof. Same rules, no outsider should never suspect something. It could be quite intersting seeing peoples movement at school, groups following each other without looking suspicious, 2 getting in a car to follow another guy and you knew tey had "weapons" in the car (the best is to break into another teams car to steel the hardware!).

But I dont recommend doing it, you can be shot by cops...

Edited by andersson

I'm pretty skeptical using real life as a playing field for airsoft. And how about eye protection?

With that said, interesting concept, to say it the least.

Sunglasses during summer ;)

But yes, you should be sceptical as they do look like real guns. But back then it made it more exciting not to be caught (+ the cops were not that trigger happy).

I'm pretty skeptical using real life as a playing field for airsoft. And how about eye protection?

The places I play are private land. No worries about law shooing you. And as far as eye protection goes every place I have played requires a special rated goggle that is fully sealed. No eyeglasses or shooting glasses permitted.

Just to be safe I test my goggles point blank when I get new pairs.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

I sub a guy on you tube that has tons and tons of airsoft vids.

Their Euro's and some of them use dodgy eye protection IMO, but he has a lot of really cool videos.

As far as my experience goes with suit games (wich is not to far I am afraid), shoot-outs are not allowed expect on special places. The whole hunt is the point here, tracking eachother down and so on. Googles are required in gun areas.

But you bring a good point, safety first.

aLmAnZo and ICE-Raver: I was replying to the post over me:

About suit games. We had a "simple" game when I was younger (but old enough to live my own life). Killer.

Every monday all of the involved took a small paper from a box, one of them had the word killer and another target. The target had to tell everyone but the killer remained unknown. The rule was simple, the killer had to kill the target and get away with it so nobody knew who he/she was. He had one week. Ofcourse nobody else out in the town should see it.

So for one week the target had to live his normal life without his family or other friends understanding that it was something special. The target had to be paranoid and could defend himself (and here is my point in this thread) with softair guns. It could be quite exciting wearing a hidden gun in normal life. You couldnt get caught because fo the game rules but you really didnt because of the shame wearing a fake gun and the chaos afterwards. So you had to do it safe and not always wear it.

Then ofcourse booby traps and whatever counted too. (It is very interesting to break in at a friends place to booby trap his bed, or to check your own door and windows before going in ;) )

We also had a version where it was 2 teams and one was a target in one team. Then you could have body guards and the killer could ahve cars following the target and so on. Coudl easilly end up in a shoot out somewhere on a roof. Same rules, no outsider should never suspect something. It could be quite intersting seeing peoples movement at school, groups following each other without looking suspicious, 2 getting in a car to follow another guy and you knew tey had "weapons" in the car (the best is to break into another teams car to steel the hardware!).

But I dont recommend doing it, you can be shot by cops...

Airsoft at 100 meters? Haha. He must play on the airless moon, where gravity is less.

I've never played airsoft. I thought I had made that clear enough in the video.

So you must be the same better-informed individual, M4xpower, who asserted in the video's comments section that there is no such thing as IWI.

http://www.israel-weapon.com/

It must be time for me to get new glasses, eh? Either that or this Advil is stronger than I thought! I'm seeing things!

I've been a part of the Lost Brothers mod team, almost from its inception. You'd think I would know a thing or two about Israeli weapons, eh?

Dude, do you really care that much about it that you need to repeat your youtube griefs on the BI Forums? LOL. You sure showed me.

I replied on youtube where it was *appropriate*.

And yeah, I work on CWR mod. That must mean I know all about the 80s.

Really, dude. Why are you shooting angry nerd rays at me on two mediums? Did a Palestinian just seduce your girlfriend or something?

Edited by Max Power

You cared enough about showing me up that you posted false information on two mediums. Don't be a hypocrite.

By the way, "Effective range of AirSoft Bb’s span from 25 to 75 yards, with a maximum range estimated to within 100 yards based upon the type of AirSoft gun used."

You might want to check out the guy with the airsoft Kar98K on ScouttheDoggie's videos. Unless Scotland was transferred to the moon, I'm pretty sure they have both earth-like gravity and an atmosphere there.

You cared enough about showing me up that you posted false information on two mediums. Don't be a hypocrite.

By the way, "Effective range of AirSoft Bb’s span from 25 to 75 yards, with a maximum range estimated to within 100 yards based upon the type of AirSoft gun used."

You might want to check out the guy with the airsoft Kar98K on ScouttheDoggie's videos. Unless Scotland was transferred to the moon, I'm pretty sure they have both earth-like gravity and an atmosphere there.

So that's you in the video?

Who was trying to show someone up? I think you need to take things less personally.

That range there sounds like a bit of an exaggeration. I've played airsoft a few times and with some people who have some pretty tricked out bb guns. Maybe the local associations have restrictive rules, but at that spec you couldn't get an AEG to fire 100m in a 45 degree ballistic arc.

I played paintball for a very long time, been out for a few years though. I'm ready to get back to it I believe.

I'm about to start practicing airsoft with a bunch of friends (to remember our old days in the army,heh).

But being kind of limited financially, I can't spend more than 120 € (~150 $) for an airsoft rifle.

What sort of cheap airsoft guns would you suggest me? (AEG)

Thank you a lot in advance.

Best Regards

TB

Closest thing to something worthwhile would be an echo1. But those aren't as nice as the higher end companies.

definitely echo 1. I got a semi-cheap generic airsoft rifle (Instead of the Echo1 I wanted, but didnt quite have the cash for) from a local dealer and got ripped off big time. It ended up being a chinese piece o crap.

I love airsoft too, theres a decent amount of players here in Puerto Rico. I have a lot of airsoft rifles. 4 M4 carbines , 1 ak47, 1 svd, 1 steyr aug, 1 G36C, 1 G36K, and a lot more including snipers and LMGs. I love everything that has to do with milsim.