Sign in to follow this  
KaRRiLLioN

Rts 2 available for download

Just a little idea... How bout adding the Resistance, that way you can have 3 teams on the island instead of 2.

(if you added the resistance) How bout a diplomatic stance, ie: Friendly, Enemy, Neutral

(if you added the diplomatic idea) you could also have cargo trucks that could drive back and forth between allied designated buildings to trade and collect more money for you team. Like make a certain building a Trading Post or a Supply Depot or something like that, and that building would make cargo trucks to drive back and forth between you allies Supply Depot and yours.

Just some goofy ideas ive been thinking up here since i wont be home for another month.

Maps sound great, hope i like them as much as you all say you do.

peace

Interesting ideas. It'd be nice to make something a bit more slow-paced and strategic, but many ppl just like to build a helo and go blast stuff.

Once NearestObject is working again, I plan on making something perhaps a bit more slow-paced with more strategy.

It would be great to have 2 or more modes of victory.

Maybe make 1 RTS map for all the gun ho's and 1 a little bit more advanced for experienced players and those who do some more planning.

Maybe something like:

Assassinate- Kill the other teams "leader" (a computer controled civilian) and that team is defeated. *1 down side to this is people may just defend the guy so much that it would be 1 big stalemate. Or they would hide the dude in the forest or somthing. Its just an idea remember wink.gif.

*cant think of any other modes of victory right now.

Maybe someone else has a good idea on a different mode of vicotry.

Just something to spice up the Maps Replay value and gameplay.

I've been wanting to add territory wars to this as well, but I need the NearestObject command to work. This would be similar to my original RTS missions. Holding territory would earn you money, etc. and I'd lower the amount of money you could earn with workers so you'd have to hold territory to be able to build choppers, etc.

I'd also like to lower the amount of money you start with so you can't build your entire base until you have enough money. Recycling vehicles, holding territory, and workers would earn money but at a lower rate. Destroying enemy base buildings would also earn money, but it wouldn't win the game. If any team held all the territory then they'd win also.

There's a lot that can be done, but I need that NearestObject command working in order to get RTS2 debugged. Right now it's working in Resistance, but Recycling and such is problematical.

what about one with places on map u can capture, like on nogova u have a hq and have to capture places like the factory for tanks airfield for planes and heles etc, not have too many places tho and have the constrution vechicles for building defences.

Bump, 1.80 patch soon, maybe the nearest object thing will be fixed?

Maybe you could make an Island where the West or the East have a large established presence in every city and the Resistance must raid convoys and sack citys to get cash.

{EDIT} Fixed spelling errors and I have new Idea.

Maybe there could be a 1/5 chance that some civilians could be Soviet men/women that are on vacation and they could fight back at you or you could hold them hostage?

Karrilion, you are the greatest,

that patch to fix this problem might be delayed because of the flooding and the fact that BIS might still be underwater, lets hope they made Backups of their files smile.gif

cant wait for that bug fix biggrin.gif

cya

ive tried the new RTS on the new island with 1.85 can't seem to build at all will you be makin one for nogavo ?

I haven't had a chance to test it. The Nogova version was hacked and modified by me to try and work around the bugged NearestObject command, but now that 1.85 is out, I'm going to test the regular RTS2 that I didn't modify. It should be plug-n-play with 1.85. You can test this by playing one of the other island RTS2's in 1.85.

I'll start checking on it myself once I have a chance.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (russin @ Oct. 16 2002,18:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">im waitin for the new version biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

really? me to

Well, the old versions still work so all you have to do is play on the old boring islands wink.gif

Karrillion has to just copy his files over to the new island and whala, rts on nagova

OK, here it is, the new updated RTS2.zip package.  

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also added the Kamov, the Bicycle, and the Mini to buildable vehicles at the Tank Factory of all places. =)

I've fixed and updated the new Nogova version to include two new features that are not present in the old island versions.

HALO - High Altitude, Low Open -- if you get your aircraft over 200 meters in altitude, then you'll have this option.  Basically you'll free-fall from the craft until you manually deploy your chute.

VTOL - This is a very rudimentary script that I was working on in 1.75 using Setpos commands.  Now that the SetVelocity command exists, I was able to create a dynamic method of allocating it in RTS2.  That basically means that once you've researched VTOL at the Command HQ, you can have Vertical Takeoffs/Landings in any plane, even the Cessna (this ability will probably be removed for the Cessna eventually)

I've noticed some other ppl are also working on VTOL systems.  If they come out with something that works a lot better than what I have, I'll ask their permission to include it in RTS2.

Get it at the usual place:

http://www.aggression.org/karr/rts2.zip

I'm getting back into working on the RTS2 versions with territory control.  I'll probably concentrate on Nogova first.  I don't know how long it will take me on this since I've gotten the basic templates done, all I need to do is decide how many and how large I want to make the capturable territories, and also what kind of rewards, etc. will be available.

I'm also going to upgrade the economy so that workers won't earn much money anymore. Rather, you'll earn money by building industrial buildings in certain locations that you've captured, for example.

OK, after 2 weeks of bugtesting, RTS2: Territory Wars is now available for download.

I packaged it up with the other RTS2 missions, so you now have:

RTS2_TERRITORY WARS.NOGOVA

RTS2_NOGOVA RESISTANCE

RTS2_EVERON-BUILD AND CONQUER

RTS2_KOLGUJEV ARMEGEDDON

RTS2_MALDEN

New Features:

-All new weapons are available once you load your ammo crates up.

-Territory Wars: this is similar to the mission I made about a year ago in the way that territories must be captured, but I tweaked it a little bit.  Right now there are 9 territories.  Each one starts off unoccupied, of course.  To capture the territory, you must first contest it.  After contesting it for a certain number of seconds, then your team will gain possession.  In order to contest or capture a territory, you must have more of your soldiers on the territory than they do, so if you take 10 soldiers on a territory that is only being held by 5 enemies, then they have only a short time to either kill enough of your soldiers to make it even, or drive you away to retain control.

Also, once you hold a territory, reinforcements will be automatically sent there.  For every minute that you hold the territory, you gain money, and more reinforcements.  You won't receive more than 6 AI reinforcements per territory, however.  They consist of 2 Vulcans/Shilkas and a M1Abrams/T80.

The color of each territory will change depending on the control:

Black = Unoccupied

Yellow = Territory is being contested

Blue = NATO control

Red = Soviet Control

Tweaks:

Independent AI squads are limited to 4 per team because of the lag that too many AI cause in multiplayer missions.

I optimized a few scripts for faster processing of some information.  Hopefully it'll shave a few nanoseconds off of several scripts (it does add up!wink.gif

Also, RTS-3 is now in the works.  Because of some great new commands introduced in 1.85, I can finally massively improve upon the interface and the way in which independent AI squads can be controlled.  I should also be able to cut down the overhead quite a bit.

Also, RTS-3 will improve upon the Territory control a great deal, and should be a lot more like the Everon Territory Wars mission I made a year ago.

As usual, get the package from here:

http://www.aggression.org/karr/RTS2.zip

Sounds the business Karrillion, i've never played this type of mission before. One thing, i was reading earlier posts about the M2A2 crashes, i have noted on many occasions that AshSnowBradley has caused some crashes on games i played, i made a map before that never even had an AshBradley in it and people were crashing all the time on it with that error, possibly some sort of mix up that the game engine gets confused with, i looked in the mission.sqs to be sure i never added it by mistake and nope no addons were showing. Just a thought anyway maybe for future version...

Karillion Y dont you and the other dood who made CTI map and others like have a rts mod. Could even get modlers and make you own objects like constrution trucks, buildings etc has potential.

I thought about making a version with addons, but they seem to add to problems that players have. It actually wouldn't be hard at all to add addons to the mission since I have it set up so that most things are plug-n-play insofar as adding vehicles and structures goes.

I think that having more than one person code for something like this might be overkill and they'd just get in each others way on several things. I've just seen to many issues from coders trying to merge their codebase and everything going to hell. For a video game from scratch, I can understand more than one coder, for something like this, it's not really necessary. If a person really wanted to go for a team effort, then you'd probably do well to have someone do addons separately from coding, but that's about it.

Besides, I just do this in my spare time because I enjoy it. I'd hate to be held accountable by team members or something. biggrin.gif

BTW, HK, the M2A2 crashes don't happen in Resistance, at least from what I've seen. It may crash in 1.46 mainly because of the way 1.46 handles bad addons. The crash is caused when players with unofficial addons are playing.

In Resistance RTS you will ocassionally get a message saying an addon is missing (even official ones) but it won't crash the game or affect anything.

Also could u maybee speed it up a bit the problem we have as Lt Dammage sums it up nicly is time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have to partially agree CTI is not the direction I want GP to take. These missions are not missions, they are a seperate mode of play that converts the server into something it can't be, without JIP.

[HellToupee don't even bother commenting here I'll just delete your posts.]

The server can't really be tied up for an hour, regularly, on one mission. Other players can't join, and expect a game any time soon. That is the only mission that introduces this uncertaintly, normally if they join, they understand that while they may not be able to play now, usually they can in 15-20 minutes. CTI changes this. The people in the mission don't want to restart, because they have "only just gotten started" and so people wait.

What I am hoping is that a new version comes through that allows resources and things required to get well into the game, happen quicker, so that it doesn't take so long.<span id='postcolor'>

That was about the CTI one but both the maps have the same idea and problem.

I haven't played the CTI mission, so I can't comment on its length, but RTS2 isn't that slow.  You can have a base up and running within 5 minutes, and you can have choppers and ground troop all within the next few minutes.  You also have the option of setting a timelimit, and there is also a point limit.  In the Territory version you can also win by taking all territory.  It's really up to the players as to how they want to play it.

If you want to have a full game, then you leave the point limit at 15 ( you get a point for each base building you destroy) and you either try to wipe out the enemy base or take all territories.  Most games I play like this average about 80 minutes.  Yes, that's a long time, but it's the most fun, IMHO.

If you want it to be a quicker game, simply set a reasonable timelimit like 45 mins or a smaller scorelimit like 5.  Typically 5 points will still be hard to get if your opponent has set up decent defense.

The game is only as slow as you make it, really.  If you like to take time to set up defense and send out the troops in an orderly fashion, then yes, it will take longer.

I really think that's half the fun though.

Oh, and insofar as money and resources go, just remember that the more enemies you kill, the more money you can get. In the territory version holding more territories = more money. If you'll remember the original RTS, each of those worked very similiarly insofar as money for territories goes.

Also, vehicles aren't that expensive except for the top of the line helos.

The "please restart" problem is the same with coops. Complex missions cannot be easily limited by time. I really like RTS missions because they add the much needed strategic aspect to the game. You simply have to think in these missions, instead of the usual 30 min street fight (CTF). Coops also require some strategic thinking but you usually follow predefined waypoints. RTS with territory control should be even better.

Great work KaRRiLLion, it is really appreciated. I have a suggestion for you. Could you add a version number to your missions? It is often very funny when your newest RTS2 gets replaced by an old version without workers, because all the versions have the same filename. I think version number is a must for any complex and frequently updated mission. Right now, there is just no way to tell if you play the newest version.

OK, I'll try to remember that in the next zip.

I'm working a lot on RTS3 right now, so there probably won't be anymore releases of RTS2. I'll repackage it and send it out with a shiny 1.0 or something. =)