Sign in to follow this  
KaRRiLLioN

Rts 2 available for download

This is RTS version 2, which is a total revamping of the original RTS.  It still has some bugs that I'm tracking down but if you want to test it out, then here it is.

*UPDATE*

Check out my last post about the new Resistance version of RTS2.

The primary known bug that I have relates to AI soldiers that you train at the barracks.  For some reason some people may crash to desktop when one is created.  I can't figure out why exactly, but it happens.

Here's the link:

http://www.aggression.org/karr/rts2.zip

Here's my webpage for instructions on how to play.  I highly recommend you read it if you're unfamiliar with the mission:

http://www.aggression.org/karr/RTS2_Instructions.htm

Basically the gameplay is similar to the origina RTS, but with some notable exceptions.

1.  Only the Top Leader can create buildings and each player has their OWN money so whatever they spend is their own.  In the original it was the team's money so it only took one person to bankrupt a team. =)

2.  Players (except the top leader) must LOGIN to base buildings that they want to use.

3.  You can build as many base buildings as you can afford.

4.  Rather than controlling territory, the objective is to find the enemy base and destroy it.

5.  Only the Mobile Base Unit and the Construction Jeep can make buildings.  The Construction Jeep can be used by anyone and you can make Wire fences, fuel depots, platforms with SAM's, etc.

6.  The economy is not finished, so you don't recycle vehicles or anything yet, but you can build up to 5 recyclers and they will automatically earn you money every 60 seconds.  I may leave this in just to lower the micromanagement.  I haven't decided yet.  Any suggestions on a good economy model are welcome.

7.   Anyone can repair any vehicle for a cost.

8.  You must upgrade your units at the COMMAND HQ.  You cannot use helos at mission start, and must do upgrades to unlock more advanced units.  This gives both teams a chance to set up a defense at the mission start so you aren't spammed by 50 Mi24's 1 minute after the game starts.

9.  Each person is a group leader and can create AI soldiers to do their bidding.  Unfortunately there is a link with AI soldiers and crashing clients, so I've limited the # of AI soldiers per person to 2 or 3.

10.  If you sneak into an enemy base you can LOGIN or HACK into their buildings and build enemy units and soldiers for yourself.  

11.  You can load ammo into any vehicle that can carry it or has cargo space, mainly trucks.

Welp there's probably some things I'm missing, but that's the crux of it.  I've really optimized this new version a lot so it should run much more smoothly than the original RTS.  If I can figure out what causes the AI to crash some players but not others then I'll fix that.  You all can help me track it down if you want. =)

Also, if anyone has any suggestions of things to add to the mission then I'd like to hear it.  

Thanks!

LOL we got the url working between us wink.gif

As a rule it's best to avoid using spaces in urls the underscore key "_" does just as nicely smile.gif

Heh, yep I keep forgetting to take the spaces out of my zips so I won't have these issue. =)

Karrilon, as suggested in the other thread about your map/mods..could you please include a readme file wtith install instructions..another thing, I urge you to keep a incentive to aquire resources in your project..

.6. " The economy is not finished, so you don't recycle vehicles or anything yet, but you can build up to 5 recyclers and they will automatically earn you money every 60 seconds. I may leave this in just to lower the micromanagement. I haven't decided yet. Any suggestions on a good economy model are welcome"

I'd suggest a merger of the 2 plans, 1 u need territory to "maintain capacity"...your recyclers produce income, but they have a limited capcity to "hold" income, therefore the more territory you hold, the greater capacity you have to HOLD $..The more $ you have the larger units u can build..if u lose territoy, you lose $ capacity, ergo you can't build larger units..and yes..I basically "borrowed" this concept from another online rts/action hybrid game Battlezone II(seeing how your recyclers that "automatically earn you $" is exactly what happens in Battlezone II). But then you create incentive to capture territory(it increases you max storage capacity) and then when your capacity is sufficient, you can build larger units which will be required to destroy enemy base, because enemy base defenses should be adequate, in-and-of-themselves to repell most foot soldier based attacks.

In Battlezone you actually have haulers that go out and gather metal and then bring them back to the base, so it isn't really all automatic. In the original RTS I set up several areas with a lot of wreckage that you could recycle to increase your money. Some players loved this, but others who didn't like all the micromanagement didn't like it.

I was trying to keep Territory control out of this mission for now, although I can always add it in later. I was actually thinking of an economic model where there are specific places on the map where you can place recyclers, i.e. over old battlegrounds or something where metal concentration is high. Then you can earn more money than if you build them elsewhere. That way there will be an incentive to secure and take over these areas. I'll give it some thought. I just think that completely automating it so the player doesn't have to do anything to earn money isn't good, but at the same time I don't want there to be too much micromanagement.

BTW, I did include a txt file with this download.

Thanks!

Karrillion,

"In Battlezone you actually have haulers that go out and gather metal and then bring them back to the base, so it isn't really all automatic"

This WAS how assets were aquired in BZ 1..However, In BZ 2 ..the system was much more like you describe(areas of high concentration where materials would be recycled for assets). In BZ 2 "Scavengers" forage for "loose" recyclable "Scrap", when that "loose" is exhausted, the player can "plant" a Scavener on a "scrap pool" , then the Scav "morphs" into a extractor(like a oil rig) that then extracts scrap and produces assets. Your concept of having "high concentrations" of areas rich with recyclable items(to produce assets$wink.gif is very similar.

As to some players not liking "micro-management"..well that in all RTS is the key, to balance between management, and action. In BZ 2 obviously the commander is in charge of all resource management aspects, but at the same time, GOOD commanders balance their "base building, management" responsibilites with being up in the front lines with his wingmen...If He fails to do this, and the other commander is "in the action" then his forces are outnumbered and usually at a disadvantage.

The key is balancing the commanders responsibility to manage base area and assets, but also provide incentive for him to be involved with attacking.

Yep, well it's a trick trying to make the mission fun and playable. There are definitely 2 trains of thought on this subject. Some players hate to have to learn anything or use strategy, so when they have to wait to upgrade to the gunship choppers all they do is complain and stand around when they could at the very least help build up a defense.

Some players love the micromanagement. Those are the ones who want to drive the recycle truck around and gather all the destroyed vehicles (in the original RTS).

I'll probably come out with RTS lite after I get this one done. Then there'll be 2 versions...hardcore and lite. =)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The primary known bug that I have relates to AI soldiers that you train at the barracks.  For some reason some people may crash to desktop when one is created.  I can't figure out why exactly, but it happens.

<span id='postcolor'>

I have experienced this with other maps also where you are able to "recruit" AI soldiers and deploy them. Haven't been able to figure it out either...

/Trigger Happy

Yep it's an aggravating bug because it's really cool to get up some major wars.

After a lot of playing on this mission with up to 35 players and with the AI Soldiers disabled, I can say that the mission runs great without them. I have it so team leaders can increase or decrease the limit in the game, but I think the more players that you have, the likelier it is that the AI will crash it.

RTS=Real Time Strategy like Command and Conquer. You build your base with a mobile base unit and then you can build vehicles from the different factories and train soldiers, then you go forth and destroy the enemy base.

I think the ctd prob is in ofp itself and the addunit command. I've read a few times about ppl using this command and having the same result. I'm pretty sure it's a game bug, like the ctd some ppl get (myself included) with using the laser designator when in hw t&l mode.

But mate, this looks fucking A++. I remember when you were releasing the first one, but i stopped visiting the forum so much and missed it. I'm glad I'm gonna get to try this.

One suggestion b4 i play it. Maybe you could add a tech advmt. where there's been experiments performed successfully, allowing you to recycle dead soldiers from battle fields for less than training them. Raising the dead.

Not a totally serious suggestion, as I figure you probably remove them at some time anyway.

can't wait anyway.

Since the AI under players control seems to be a crash issue, I'm working on making it so the team leader can train independent squads of soldiers and mechanized infantry that will guard the base. So far I have it so that the leader can create them and position them, but I've run into problems with it working on dedicated servers. For some reason it doesn't always recognize the group name of the independent AI even though I have "placeholder" AI on the map with a group name assigned. If I can get that then it'll at least be a good fix until the Ai crash issue is resolved, hopefully in the next patch.

With onnly a couple of ppl playing, the AI doesn't seem to crash at least.

UPDATE:

I have it now so that teams will start in 1 of 11 random starting points, rather than the start positions being the same everytime.

I also made the team spawn automatically locate to whereever the Command HQ is built. If you don't build a command HQ then you will end up respawning in the middle of nowhere.

The Construction Jeep can now repair buildings. It can also build ammo crates. Each person will have to load the ammocrates for themselves since the game doesn't seem to push the loaded info out to the server. Each person has an option on their Action menu to LOAD AMMO which will load ammo into pretty much anything that has cargo space for it.

All Buildings are now built in front of the Mobile Base and their direction is facing the Mobile base. This seems to make it easier to see where you're building stuff.

The Lead Commanders of each team now has the ability to decrease or increase the AI Limit at their Command HQ. This way if there's only a couple of ppl playing, you can up the AI limit to 11.

Other minor stuff.

Coming soon: I'm still working on independent squads of soldiers that can be created so you can create a small army of AI that aren't connected to you. I'll also have it so that the lead commander can drop a waypoint so they'll go there.

I hope to have this working soon. I don't know if independent AI will crash players or not, but it'll be interesting to see. =)

Whoa man! Great work with your first RTS, i will try your RTS2 Map right now, cant wait smile.gif

Ok theres a bug in it that crashed my server. IT said

No cfg entery in M204 and serevr crashed sad.gif

That's strange, I'm not using any unofficial addons at all. Do you have any unofficial addons on your server?

Also, did it crash immediately, or did this happen when you were playing it?

Yes we have add-ons. But i know something, ive madea respawn script and u need to enter the name of the vehicle. It workedfine but for the M1A1 ive put M1A1, it crashed the server with this error :

No.Cfg.Bin in M1A1 (or soemthing simillar) and ive figured out the M1A1 is called M1abrams.

So it was working fine, maybe you have this error ?

Ive also got a no-script found error, ill test it again.

And it crashed imediately

Also can I get a copy of teh description.ext used in ur RTS2, i wanna put it in rotation and need param1 and param2 ....

Cuz for the timeleft 3600(60 mins) dont work sad.gif

What is the name of the missing script? Also, I have been testing this mission a lot, and several servers are running it, and none of them have had any crashes with this error.

When you were talking about the description.ext are you saying you need it for another mission you're making, or are you saying you wanted to put a timelimit on this mission? I may add some radio commands that allow you to increase/decrease the timelimit.

OK,

I dont get the error. I will post the missing script right after. No I dont wanna makea new RTS2 mission i only want to put it as timelimit

3600 dont work sad.gif (as param1)

Thanks

btw add the radio command to increase or decrase timelimit smile.gif it would be great, cuz sometimes the game is really good sometimes not smile.gif

wonderfull map so far hope ya figure it out i think quaker might have our problem with the param1 and param2 ? who knows

just a thought just use officers for the leader guba is lame hehehhe run around feel like a retard lol biggrin.gif