Sign in to follow this  
PitViper

Dynamic range for v 1.90

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acecube @ Dec. 06 2002,15:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi!

I have some suggestions to make:

Like in The HK-Pack there is some shot-sounds that seem to be recorded on a shooting range.

Most often a 100m or more rifle range is limited by concrete or earth walls to the left and to the right. Further the shooters are most often standing under a sort of roof. Alltogether gives the sound a "room" (all sorts of decay, echo etc.)

The original BIS sound don't have this "room" for a good reason.

If fired from out of a house or in a forest or on a vietnam-like-jungle-island, a shot with a lot of decay sounds stupid.

This means the shot sounds must be more "universal" in terms of the place/room where they're shot.

I dunno if you recorded the shots yourself? Anyways, I got an idea: if someone would try modifying an electronic hearing protector to be able to record what usually the shooter hears the sound might be quite realistic and without much of the rooms influence because the recording is very close to the source and decays quickly.

Try giving the shot sounds a quick decay and make them very short in time. The peak of a real life shot is between 140 and 165dB. This is REALY loud so that (without hearing protection) the shooter himself doesn't actually "hear" any more than a very short BLAST and nothing after it (like echo or else) until his hearing recovers. This is especially for shooting in rooms because the sound is reflected and therefor heard a couple of times longer and stronger. A charakteristik sound for a certain firearm would rather be recognized with some distance to the source (shooter and gun). I don't know if the OFP-engine allows this difference for gun shot sounds, what the shooter hears and what bystanders hear.

Unfortunately there's no sound system on this planet that could reproduce a proper gun shot with the original peak level ;-(

out<span id='postcolor'>

I agree about the rifle sounds, although sometimes humidity levels can really effect how much echo you hear. Also not all rifle ranges have roofs over them. Many of them, especially military rifle ranges are out in the open. However there may be hills and other objects effecting the sound. Still, on a military type shooting range you should be able to make good recordings. The microphones you are talking about (or at least something close to it) are called binaural microphones. They are usually part of a "dummy head" or worn on glasses. However if I'm not mistaken the gunshot sounds in OFP are in mono so the whole stereo imaging part would be wasted. But with a decent small diaphragm condenser mic and a high quality compressor/limiter (with transparent brick-wall limiting capability), you should be able to get a good recording once you've experimented with various mic positions. Often where your ears are do not always provide the best place to position a mic. Anyhoo...the matter is probably a moot one since most addon makers take their gunshot sounds from movies or soundFX CD's with samples of various guns. Some of these CD's are good, some are crap.

The bottom line is that while most sound systems can't produce a perfect gunshot sound at full volume (something you would NOT want in a game unless you want blown speakers and blown ear drums), I think it is possible to get fairly close to the actual sound. An example is this:

Listen to the rifle and machine gun sounds on the movie "Saving Private Ryan". Those sounds are just incredible.

The MG-42 at the beginning for example they captured beautifully. You can even hear the belt links and ammo clinking on the concrete floor of the bunker at the beginning of the movie.

In OFP, listen to the sounds used on the WWII infantry pack produced by the WWII Team (Lawrie, Lobster, Marcel, ect.. ect..). While their rifle models are still pre-oxygen models, the sounds used on the models are very very good. Whether they are accurate to the real thing I don't know. But they sound ALOT like the sounds used in Saving Private Ryan where from what I can tell, they seem to have really worked hard to get accurate sounds.

With the M16 and AK's however, there are private gun owners who own these weapons here in the U.S., so it's easier to get actual recordings of these weapons as they are both popular weapons. The AK-74 though might be a little more difficult to get recordings of.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

the config.bin did not change from 1.90 -> 1.91 so the 1.90 DR bin is fully compatible with 1.91.

it does, but some servers dont like you using them as i think it lags them or somthing, not too sure

your best bet would be to install it as a MOD and then have alternate exe's... if they allow sound-mods=fine, if not...just load up the other exe smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Dec. 08 2002,01:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The AK-74 though might be a little more difficult to get recordings of.<span id='postcolor'>

The Discovery Wings channel often plays footage of the soviet-afganistan war, and from what I can tell the original OFP Kalashnikov sounds are far more realistic than those in Dynamic Range, AK74 as well as AK47. I think it would be best to use those types of recordings for this instance, even though the recording quality is not perfect, or revert to the original sounds.