So recently I decided to play with Say3D. I have several sounds in a mod, which I added to the description.ext via adding to CfgSounds. I also tried to set it up in the mods config.cpp.

Initially, the sounds worked using say3D with no issue. The characters lip synced just fine. Then, seemingly for no reason, the characters started mumbling (like the sounds we're spoken incredibly fast, but no change in pitch). This was after adding more voices, so I reverted back to what worked... Except now it no longer works.

These sounds work with playSound and playSound3D just fine. I even tried some vanilla sounds, and some of those worked while some exhibited the behavior I mentioned. I have made no changes to my files that worked.

I do not want to use kbTell for reasons I outline in this video: 

Please help!

Can you upload a test mission if ok?  (Preferably the one with kbTell).

Doesn't have to be your full thing, just a few sentences should do.  :)

Same issues here - and in fact there is another thread here that is a year old that indicates all 'Say' type commands have been and are .. broken:

I did the same tests to confirm it as well, using solid voices with lip files that do actually work in SP using KbTell, but when used with any form of 'Say' the result is hyper fast speed speech.

Thanks for the posting the video there, I have literally been spending hours hunting the internet trying to figure out locality of KbTell in Mp due to the fact that the wiki says nothing about Mp, and there is little information around about it. I am bummed out to see the bug there, and worse seeing the units do a hyper lip stutter after doing their voices, I guess that means between all forms of 'Say' not working along with KBtell being bugged out like that, there seems to be nothing reliable for Mp now?

At least that video clinches it for my Mp mission, no in mission voices for npc's is going happen with those issues coming up. Why in the world it seems the 'Say' family of commands has been abandoned by Bis is beyond my understanding, they were easy to use simple and reliable commands that could just be ran on each machine in Mp (local effect being nice that it avoids mp syncing issues). Quite frustrating to me and unfortunate, character voice + lip sync is something in a game of this type that should be fully working in Mp to add to mission immersion.

14 hours ago, special ed said:

At least that video clinches it for my Mp mission, no in mission voices for npc's is going happen with those issues coming up. Why in the world it seems the 'Say' family of commands has been abandoned by Bis is beyond my understanding, they were easy to use simple and reliable commands that could just be ran on each machine in Mp (local effect being nice that it avoids mp syncing issues). Quite frustrating to me and unfortunate, character voice + lip sync is something in a game of this type that should be fully working in Mp to add to mission immersion

The Say issue pisses me off too.   My work around is to use sideRadio or playSound3D for units speaking.   And you can toggle setRandomLip on and off for lip movement while speaking.

4 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

The Say issue pisses me off too.   My work around is to use sideRadio or playSound3D for units speaking.   And you can toggle setRandomLip on and off for lip movement while speaking.

Nice - yes, that's what I'm likely going to do as well is just use playSound3D, although I'm probably not going to do the random lip, at least for my purpose which is just players interacting directly with some npc's along the way, I think no lip can work as they do this all the time with Mmo's - I'll just make the voiced parts very short and to the point, and put the full length speech in text. Example : Talk to Durby action activated by player : playSound3d at Durby "How we are going to win *this* battle, I dont know.. " then the actual text : Durby: We've been winning the war up until this point.. and now the enemy reveals their true strength in numbers that are beyond what anyone could imagine." Etc, Etc..

But for cutscenes and units talking to units in Mp, the restrictions here at the moment are pretty bad. Videos can be used for cutscenes in Mp of course where KbTell works in Sp to make the video, but then one gets to decide if they want their mission to jump significantly in size for each video added (I like using videos for Mp cutscenes as it avoids me dealing with so many possible issues that can come up between client and server).

I put the kbTell issue in the bug tracker. I'll make a repro mission tonight and place it in there.

Had anyone put the say bug in the bug tracker? There are bugs for the say command in there, but I couldn't find the specific one.

4 minutes ago, rga_noris said:

I'll make a repro mission tonight and place it in there.

Super - There's a couple of things I wanted to try and see if it sorts it

5 hours ago, das attorney said:

Super - There's a couple of things I wanted to try and see if it sorts it

To be clear, you're looking for a repro mission for the kbTell bug, correct?

Although I'll still put up the mission, what's on your mind as a possible cause? Just curious, I've done a ton of looking around and general fiddling about with no luck.

Yes the kbTell one - I was going to check all the optional params on a dedi and debug it as I went along.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T125385

There is the ticket with the repro mission attached.

Directions for Repro Mission: Run the mission on a dedicated server and join (mission is done quickly with only one player in mind). Use your radio menu (press 0, by default), and use 1 to make Ted Talk, 2 to make Bill talk, and 3 to make them attempt to talk at the same time, reproducing the bug.

Let me know if you have any questions!

I tried to open it with 7zip but it says it couldn't open as an archive.  I also tried a couple of other extractors and some online ones but no joy 

10 hours ago, das attorney said:

It was made with WinRar... I'll try just making it a zip