sync0s

[WIP] Dusty Roads (Wild West Modification)

Hello and welcome to the Dusty Roads Announcement!

PBSgGHE.png

PGB65I8.png

Howdy Partners,

Dusty Roads is a modification made for Arma 3.
It's set in the mid-1870's  west expansion territories of the United States.
While it is roleplay mod, we're going for something different then
the normal life roleplay we're all used to seeing in Arma.

Dusty Roads as a mod will be more inspired by some popular MMO's
(such as Black Desert Online and The Division).
However, we still want to include the dynamic and interactive world
that life roleplay has offered the community to date.
We also want to incorporate many Survival game elements as a subset to make
the world a little bit more interesting and difficult for players.

So it's really the mixture of these that we believe will offer up something
more unique to Arma even more so than the Wild West setting.

So what are some features that we're aiming for?

Life Skills
This is a popular thing in both life roleplay and MMO style games.

This mod will reward players who work hard in certain aspects
of the game by giving them better buffs and a higher RNG chance
of successfully finding rare items.

One twist, however. Over time your life skills will degenerate which will
naturally send players focusing more towards certain skills/trades.
In theory, this will buff the player marketplace.

Weapons and Gear
Weapons will continue to feel like they do currently in Arma
but with on caveat.

Weapons will have tiers which will impact their base level
accuracy and damage per hit.
Defensive gear will also have impact in these areas.

All weapons and gear will be upgrade-able by players
with an RNG chance of success.
MMO inspired gear scores will matter.

Survival and Camping
Life on the frontier is hard. The further players venture off the
pathways the harder survival gets.

AI bandits may attack you.
Basic necessities such as food and water will be vital.
Make sure you clean your water because the last thing you
want is to contract disease.
Sleep deprivation can you make anyone lose their mind.

Pitching tents, starting fires, and more will be an absolute
necessity for life on the frontier.
Of course, there are greater rewards to those who can
survive the harsh elements.

Travel and Terrain
Maps in Arma can already be quite expansive as they are.
When you remove vehicles and replace them with
walking, horseback, and covered wagons?
The world can seem never ending.

We're custom making a terrain that will fit our mod exactly
the way that we need it. The environment will change
overtime reflecting the desires of the players.

Summary
These are just some of the many features we're working on
implementing in Dusty Roads.
We will expand detail on them further as well as detail more in future updates.

For now, we've included some screenshots of the current progress thus far.

If you have any questions or want to help out with the project
Please reach out to us:

Stay tuned for more!

ly6S0iw.png

Weapons
Spoiler

64nKxRK.jpg

V22nkDI.jpg

iEJBRe9.jpg

RHbOYXo.jpg

uur3v6V.jpg

D4niq9p.png?width=699&height=671

2.png

Clothing
Spoiler

zKSP9Dk.jpg

ApuXvJu.jpg

ytXlJ3S.jpg

PiGIOsT.jpg

OLtotQw.jpg

pItSBiB.jpg

sfh3JUJ.jpg

9WTfKcN.jpg

dyQq325.jpg

YYi28bt.jpg

uNK6JoR.jpg

Mod Pictures
Spoiler

yC2FKAAr.jpg?width=1192&height=671

oHs6GGJ.jpg

RSHwQFf.jpg

rE1rHt8.jpg

i6rul8H.jpg

cWRJdLN.jpg

8Zumy1V.jpg

baJZXSc.jpg

V47PJU8.jpg

5ZhLzpy.jpg

vj8dIuy.jpg

TpZx4IV.jpg?width=1192&height=671

p1W9QoP.jpg
iWVS3tB.jpg
Lqau8gB.jpg
oMlclZC.jpg
tC5usVd.jpg
HElGnva.jpg
ynKK4Ch.jpg
LsZIY0m.jpg
aIUWsC5.jpg
igy4Z1U.jpg
ZKSaCwb.jpg
cIkqFNm.jpg
K2JHJmL.jpg
MMgTUlM.jpg
CBh1PKU.jpg
1aC3atS.jpg

Train Pictures
Spoiler

vs693GM.jpg

BpniAxg.jpg

8DXuDRn.jpg

xxsQVIn.jpg

RhyCXDS.jpg

Animals 
Spoiler

20180422152640_1.jpg?width=1192&height=6

SnKRZOj.jpg

L4Pr72l.gif

tBszWWS.gif

UosHmQb.png

This project has been a team effort and our team is growing by the day.

We want to take a moment to give a special thank you
to all of those who have helped us thus far in the project

Adam, Bryce, Arkfall, @Facel @rebelvg  @KokaKolaA3 @m1lkm8n @duda123 @Jimmy Bulmer Micheal Swiss, Optix, Anton, Nick Means

Nl7ery1.png

There are multiple ways that you can help the project.

Money
We project leaders have our talents in specific areas of development
and we're not afraid to acknowlege our weaknesses.

Rather than forcing ourselves to produce everything
in those areas, we've chosen to find people
that can produce high quality content.

In a perfect world full of sunshine and butterflies we could produce and
release this mod without spending a dime. However, you
get what you pay for.

Money allows us to buy more/better quality assets, produce top notch animations,
provide more in game content, and more.

Development
If you have a skill in scripting, graphic design, modeling,
animating, web design, or anything else related to the project we're always
looking to expand our team.

A larger team will enable us to provide a better end product in
a shorter timeline.
If you're interested in helping out, please reach out to either of the project leaders.

0Qar78c.png

• Like 33

Wow, this looks really promising. Will be keeping my eye on this.

Just now, Corbinnator said:

Yes sir!

awesome looking foward to it

This looks very exciting and I love the unique concept compared to most mods out there. Really hope this continues !

• Like 2

Regarding the donation packs, specifically the top-tier $100 package, what do you envisage "priority support over regular players" to mean?

The terrain looks utterly fantastic:thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Evil Organ said:

Regarding the donation packs, specifically the top-tier $100 package, what do you envisage "priority support over regular players" to mean?

The terrain looks utterly fantastic:thumbsup:

It simply means that if there are a few people waiting for help on something and one of them is a priority support member then they'll be handled first before the others.

Thanks! The terrain has been our primary focus so far in the project.

I am not sure I understand the the kind gameplay you are shooting for. Since you are selling founders' packs like regular MMO's, I figure it will be MP only and on your servers, right, and no SP then? Also, PvP or PvE?

56 minutes ago, sync0s said:

It simply means that if there are a few people waiting for help on something and one of them is a priority support member then they'll be handled first before the others.

Fair enough, the cynical old man in me read priority support as "let's spawn in a care package for this guy, he's a $100 customer".....

I know they are described as Donation Packs, and i'm guessing optional, but it seems a fair chunk of change for a mod piggybacking Arma 3.

Despite my dubiety, i do wish the project well.....i'm most looking forward to seeing the horse in action.  

1 hour ago, sync0s said:

i still have concerns on this, i hope your abiding by BIS Monetization rules.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Evil Organ said:

Fair enough, the cynical old man in me read priority support as "let's spawn in a care package for this guy, he's a $100 customer".....

I know they are described as Donation Packs, and i'm guessing optional, but it seems a fair chunk of change for a mod piggybacking Arma 3.

Despite my dubiety, i do wish the project well.....i'm most looking forward to seeing the horse in action.  

30 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

i still have concerns on this, i hope your abiding by BIS Monetization rules.

Obviously it's fair to have the apprehension over the donation part. To get it out of the way first, everything will abide by BIS monetization rules. No pay to win, or special access to any gear/weapons or anything of the similar that gives any advantage, etc. The included items on the packs are actually just skins, whereas the item itself is accessible to everyone.

Like I mentioned in the post, Corbinnator and I have our skills in certain areas, but we primarily lack in the modeling/animating arena. We didn't want to half ass some barely passable terrain full of BI assets made for other environments, skip out on the value of a horse, or miss the better "immersion" you can get from custom era specific animations that we can do. In order for us to work toward our "grand vision" for the project we've had to hire some people to fill in the gaps. Typically, people who work for free in the Arma community tend to create poor quality and/or take forever to get the work done. With the money we spend we have the ability to expect a higher quality and get it done in a timely manner so the project doesn't take 5 years to develop. Just give BI forums a cursory browse and you can see how some people want to charge outrageous amounts for the simple things and you can quickly understand what we're up against.

Profiteering an Arma mod isn't what we're going for. I've privately financed this project and it's been significantly more than we've raised to date. The donations really just help us get the project going on a faster timeline as we can get more going at one time. In full disclosure, we had considered building this into an actual game but at the time we didn't have the team assembled to take on such a massive effort.

By all means if you don't believe in donating for an arma mod or you'd rather wait and see, please do. We have that mechanism there for people who want to help. The perks are a way for us to show appreciation for it.

I hope this answers any questions or concerns. If not, let me know.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, neofit said:

I am not sure I understand the the kind gameplay you are shooting for. Since you are selling founders' packs like regular MMO's, I figure it will be MP only and on your servers, right, and no SP then? Also, PvP or PvE?

Correct, it will be MP only and PVPVE. Initially it will be on our servers but we have the intention that once the project reaches a level of maturity we'll release it publicly. Also, the assets that we're putting together will at some point be released publicly for people to create any different MP/SP scenarios. So while we are developing this primarily for our own community we aren't planning on locking down all of the assets for just ourselves. I'm actually excited to see what other people will do with it when we're done too.

Our target gameplay will be really going in the direction of MMO gameplay, but we're not abandoning the life roleplay world either. I honestly have always considered life roleplay to be a somewhat immature MMO so I don't think they're that far off. If you think of MMO's, you may think of things like guilds, quests, gear scores, etc. Those are elements that we plan to include in this. I really wanted to do a mod that had the fun dynamic nature that roleplay can bring but also includes all of the other elements that you see built up for single player enjoyment as well which is something that I think MMO's often times do well.

Edited by sync0s
grammar
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, sync0s said:

-snip-

Thanks for taking the time to give a concise answer, as a forum moderator here i wanted to check everything was above board. And personally as an addon maker and member of this community since OFP its nice to see new mods that break the mould. I will be certainly following this mod, as it has great potential. 

• Like 3

What exactly is the goal? Surviving and looting empty cans for the sake of it? I mean normally, if people went out into the wilderness it was to reach some place for a reason, or to settle someplace new, etc. So besides shooting at everything that moves with new weapons in a new scenery, which may get old rather fast, what are we supposed to be doing in there?

any chance you guys are going to be using the trains addon, and adding in some nice coal trains?

51 minutes ago, neofit said:

What exactly is the goal? Surviving and looting empty cans for the sake of it? I mean normally, if people went out into the wilderness it was to reach some place for a reason, or to settle someplace new, etc. So besides shooting at everything that moves with new weapons in a new scenery, which may get old rather fast, what are we supposed to be doing in there?

Primarily for money. Money enables you to get your hands on better gear. Further off the trail you're going to have better mining, hunting, etc. It's the same reason that people would've done it in the actual old west as well. We'll be adding in deterioration of skills over time so in order to be better than mediocre you'll probably have to focus more time in the areas that you like and using your money to acquire items in areas that other players are better at. The primary end game is to be the best. To be the best you have to have the best gear which will require work and skill.

Hope that answers your question, if you need me to elaborate let me know.

22 minutes ago, Yoilon said:

any chance you guys are going to be using the trains addon, and adding in some nice coal trains?

Corbinnator has been in contact with the Advanced Train Simulator guys and I believe we have an agreement where they'll let us use it if we provide some models for their project (I'll let him elaborate on that). So yes, we intend to add to their project with a caboose and coal cars and potentially some passenger cars as well that fit the era. This is still in our bucket of "to-do" items.

Really like the outfits, Facel did very well on these :)
Good luck guys, was waiting for you to announce this for a year! 

• Like 2

G'day Sync0s,

This is looking great. Will be watching this. The picture of the horse is great. Is it fully functional as a vehicle or still a static object at the moment?

13 minutes ago, wansec_6 said:

G'day Sync0s,

This is looking great. Will be watching this. The picture of the horse is great. Is it fully functional as a vehicle or still a static object at the moment?

Hello :)

At the moment the horse is just a model with animations in game. We're currently working on getting it to be a fully functional vehicle and believe we'll have it ready to go by the end of the month. We'll definitely keep this thread updated on the progress of the horse in the future.

G'day Sync0s,

That sounds great. Are you intending to release "Dusty Roads" as a complete package or will you release it in smaller portions/individual addons. ie Map, Outfits/Weapons, Animals (Horse)?

8 hours ago, sync0s said:

Primarily for money. Money enables you to get your hands on better gear. Further off the trail you're going to have better mining, hunting, etc. It's the same reason that people would've done it in the actual old west as well. We'll be adding in deterioration of skills over time so in order to be better than mediocre you'll probably have to focus more time in the areas that you like and using your money to acquire items in areas that other players are better at. The primary end game is to be the best. To be the best you have to have the best gear which will require work and skill.

So there will be other activities than the usual Arma3 ones, which are running around and shooting :), that's nice.

Personally I am not into PvP whatsoever, so unless there are PvE servers I will give it a pass. "Be the best" is a typical King of the Hill activity that I do not want to partake in at the end of a workday, I prefer to "live" in this new world together with other people against the hostile environment. Can the planned activities allow for such a playstyle?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, neofit said:

So there will be other activities than the usual Arma3 ones, which are running around and shooting :), that's nice.

Personally I am not into PvP whatsoever, so unless there are PvE servers I will give it a pass. "Be the best" is a typical King of the Hill activity that I do not want to partake in at the end of a workday, I prefer to "live" in this new world together with other people against the hostile environment. Can the planned activities allow for such a playstyle?

You will be able to do just that live. You want to be a farmer and raise livestock and sell it in towns to make some money ok do it. You want to be a US Marshal protect the land and make sure the federal laws are being forced ok do that. How about a Native American you live on the land sure do that. Maybe a town sheriff. There will be many styles of live you can play as its not going to be a PVP server we still are targeting the Roleplay theme.

• Like 2