DnA

Laws of War DLC Playable Content (Campaign / Showcases / Time Trials)

10 hours ago, BrewerOfBohemia said:

I finished the campaign, really liked it, all those dialogs were great. I just have three objections.

1) While playing as the civilian at the start of the campaign, you step on invisible landmine. I understand this is scripted in order to ensure you die.

2) The bobcat drove through the roadblock without actually pushing any vehicles. I mean it kinda warped through.

3) While defending the village from AAF as an injured civilian/FIA I encountered a sleeping man in a building. Looked quite strange considering half of the city got hit by an airstrike and is currently under attack. 

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/856102160281544350/6D630BC764B88B8268A1E3F1E2CA31CF383F36B8/6D630BC764B88B8268A1E3F1E2CA31CF383F36B8

HAHA I saw that too when I was playing! xD Got a screenshot as well lmao  in my opinion i found this quite funny and this shouldn't be removed. THIS was one hard mission...C63603AF52604BAEE00EC07165332BE2A2298408

These are conditions for unlocking "Humanitarian" achievement:

Spoiler
  • The Peacekeeper: Make sure no supply crate get damaged. Plan your air drop location carefully.
  • The Guerrilla: Don't use IDAP ambulance in the barricade. There are other vehicles you can use instead.
  • The Redacted: Don't kill IDAP doctor. He'll return back to the church if you wait (the delay is shorter when you identify him).
  • The Survivor: Reach the church unarmed. Picking up a weapon is fine as long you drop it and don't kill anyone.
  • The Major: Don't execute any incapacitated enemy. Spreading mines has no effect on this, the situation justifies it.

You should receive the achievement once after credits, when the article appears. If you're going to try it, please write here if it worked correctly.

BTW: The sleeping dude is an oversight, he should be there only in memory of Oreokastro scenario. I'll remove him.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, moricky said:

Reveal hidden contents
  • The Peacekeeper: Make sure no supply crate get damaged. Plan your air drop location carefully.
  • The Guerrilla: Don't use IDAP ambulance in the barricade. There are other vehicles you can use instead.
  • The Redacted: Don't kill IDAP doctor. He'll return back to the church if you wait (the delay is shorter when you identify him).
  • The Survivor: Reach the church unarmed. Picking up a weapon is fine as long you drop it and don't kill anyone.
  • The Major: Don't execute any incapacitated enemy. Spreading mines has no effect on this, the situation justifies it.

You should receive the achievement once after credits, when the article appears. If you're going to try it, please write here if it worked correctly.

BTW: The sleeping dude is an oversight, he should be there only in memory of Oreokastro scenario. I'll remove him.

All good now, thanks

1 hour ago, Recker Jackson said:

Campaign are too short me 

If the dlc was just about the campaign I'd agree no problem. 

But  It adds new assets, weapons, functions,a campaign a  showcase with 3 separate sections. Then the idap showcase. 

I'd say it is reasonable in length all things considered. 

The dlc bundle 2 is a bargain.

For reference. H1z1 charge 5 euro for a hoody with your countries flag on it. I shit you not. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, moricky said:

These are conditions for unlocking "Humanitarian" achievement:[...]

Thanks!

Spoiler

Thought that the water supply crate always gets damaged by default.

2 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

If the dlc was just about the campaign I'd agree no problem. 

But  It adds new assets, weapons, functions,a campaign a  showcase with 3 separate sections. Then the idap showcase. 

I'd say it is reasonable in length all things considered. 

The dlc bundle 2 is a bargain.

For reference. H1z1 charge 5 euro for a hoody with your countries flag on it. I shit you not.

Especially considering this is barely 10€. Helicopters and Marksmen both were each 14€ if I remember right, and they "only" came with a few assets and a showcase scenario. Laws of War is already much more for less money.

So, I just finished playing through this and I would like to summarize my thoughts a bit. I will only talk about it in general terms, so it should be rather spoiler free. I'll use tags after all, but yeah. In summary though, very well done!

Spoiler

The single player content in ARMA has been a disappointment for me since OFP really, as they have lacked soul. It has tried to tell large scale stories, without attempting to illustrate how those events influenced the people in them. Nothing that made me care about my character, or any of the other characters. This did. It tries to tell an actual story about actual people, and it focuses on how terrible war can be. Several characters, including soldiers from different factions are given a story, a role, motivations and a personal side that makes them a lot more human than the action movie stereotype characters we get to know in ARMA 2 and 3s campaigns. It's still a bit crude, and a few places it feels a bit forced though, I think it could have used some subtlety. That being said, it was a very good effort. Tell more stories like this, it is much more in line with the nature of ARMA as a game, you are vulenarable, use that to your advantage. ARMA is ill suited for stories about hero stereotypes, it's much more suited towards stories about being a tiny part of something you have little say in, that's why this campaign works so well.

At the same time, I'm dissappointed that you missed the opportunity to do more with the civilian faction. The new humanitarian faction is great, so is the van. However, I had a tiny hope that it could bring a larger diversity to the civillian faction in general, and especially women. I get why you are hessitant to include children, but the lack of female civillians is holding the game back a lot still. This was a perfect and logical opportunity to do so, considering the theme of the DLC.

So, you are on the right path with this. I hope that your next campaign will use a bit more subtlety, and focus on war at a personal level. The political climate can function very well as a backdrop, as it did in OFP, but allow the story to revolve around the character and how he feels scared, alone, misses home, experience stress and so on. Allow them a character arch, and make the story about them and their contribution. Highlight their insignificance in the larger picture, and have them reflect upon their role. I'd like to point out that the random quotes upon death in OFP was a stroke of genious, as they functioned as a support for the narrative as well. "War is ugly" and "The point of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the other bastard die for his" written on the screen after dying underlines how the common soldier have very little impact or say in the grand scheme of things, while at the same time is the one who has to deal with the reality of war and who has the most to loose.

• Like 2

Possible bug with "The Major"

Spoiler

I can't seem to figure out how to use the mine dispenser in The Major, I get no dialogue up until the point you can continue without placing it, and i don't seem to have any way to acquire a mine dispenser. Possibly related, he just sort of meanders around in front of the church entrance, stops in front of it, and at that point he is able to be walked through, and I cannot open his rucksack

It did go away after i restarted the game

And a bit of positive feedback (big spoiler)

Spoiler

I REALLY liked the twist at he end of the SF mission, and I especially like all the little hints prior to that mission that suggest it wasn't CSAT, the NATO submunitions, the fact that the LD was sand not hex, it was really cool

Is there a reason why the Remnants of War SPOTLIGHT has no video when hovering over it? Looks kinda weird when all other SPOTLIGHTS have it.

My guess was that it's WIP. Release is 2 weeks away, so there's still plenty of time.

PS: I kinda wish the spotlight would be randomly picked on gamestart. You'll always start with Apex (also I'm missing the old spotlights for bootcamp and the east wind), which makes it a tad boring at some point. Oh, and of course my campaign - for whatever reason - is always the first in my list as well.

23 hours ago, R3vo said:

Is there a reason why the Remnants of War SPOTLIGHT has no video when hovering over it? Looks kinda weird when all other SPOTLIGHTS have it.

We usually produce these video tiles from footage captured from trailers / developer diaries, which is also what we're waiting to do here :smile_o:

• Like 1

I really enjoyed "Remnants of War", it honestly blew me away that it was even possible to do this in the arma engine! Great job team Orange!! The campaign is incredibly well paced, thought-stimulating (even more so than SpecOps: The Line, imho) and the technical execution is simply brilliant. This is definitively taking playable (narrative) content to new levels!

I'd also pay good money/be willing to donate to ICRC/throw money at my screen/etc for a write-up or video of how this was accomplished on the technical side - what was your workflow? How did you make the memories so incredibly smooth? How did you make the persistence between different scenarios work so nicely? I've got a pretty good idea ( at least I think so) of how it's done, but it would be really awesome to see an in-depth post that goes into some of these things :) 

• Like 5

That's what made me curious as well. I mean, obviously it is flicking a switch, hides objects and shows other, even with the quick weather change in a blink... but without any noticable performance loss. I tried it a couple times with various memory points, but it always switched without any stuttering or small frame drop. That was quite a thing to see, especially considering how hard it sometimes is to get something well done in this engine...

• Like 2

On 8/23/2017 at 7:46 AM, moricky said:

Hide contents

Moricky I failed the unlock the Rotten Bastard achievement.

Spoiler

The Peacekeeper- I tried my best to wreck it all. forget those local piss ants.

The Guerrilla - I used the ambulance and tried to force the local priest to chain himself to the barricade.

The Redacted - I killed as many as I could with the bombs and engaged targets. also tried my best to use the mortar on the town.

The Survivor - I picked up the gun killed all the guys and used any ordinance I could find with Zero regard for blue on blue. 

The Major - I killed anything that walked or crawled.

• Like 2

On 21.08.2017 at 11:30 AM, Karloff said:

Hello,
thanks for your feedback, will be fixed in next version. :)

Regards. 

Not fixed

Devs, please don't place "The Wall" with users

5 minutes ago, pr9inichek said:

Not fixed

Devs, please don't place "The Wall" with users

Hello,
thanks for re-checking, we will look on that. :)

Cheers

• Like 1

I just completed Remnants of War, this is nice, and something important for... everyone.

Anyway, this should make the campaign better.

Spoiler

Why not make Nathan forget about persons in the memory like AAF Soldiers, working civilians, after back to the August 2035? After back to the today, the map is still know about the these persons, this is not good, I think.

And, an idiotic question...

Spoiler

How residents of Oreokastro do excretion? No houses have a toilet!

EDIT:

Spoiler

How about make Nathan runnable after correcting all memories? It will be nice for search the past days of Oreokastro.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, POLPOX said:

And, an idiotic question...

I don't know whether to try to answer this, or just state the obvious. If you ask stupid questions you are gonna get _______ answers :)

However, there are some splendid™ hypothesis on the matter:

• The people of Altis, Stratis and Malden have learned mutated to efficiently absorb all matter from food . As such, their bodies no longer discard "waste".
  • They don't eat. (There are no women to cook for them, neither do they have women to impress by cooking for).
  • Chronic constipation disorder.
  • Toilet paper is too expensive (and, coincidentially, is nowhere to be bought), so the only logical option is to hold it in.
  • People don't use toilets in 2035, there's a pill for that!
  • Photosynthesis?

I can't believe how this has been overlooked by the devs since 2013? Somebody make a ticket!!

Soiler alert:

Spoiler

(I couldn't help myself) :D Maybe something to think about for DLC 2018/ArmA 4?

• Like 3

I was surprised by this! Wow. Well done!

The only thing bothering me is the writing, in a few cases it's too clichee and heavy-headed. Writers will know what I mean, when something does not feel "natural". But again, only sometimes. I know it's very hard to make tough topics work in a video game, you need the perfect setting, the perfect script and perfect voice actors so it does not become cheesy. Other than that - RESPECT!!!

Story & Script - very good!

Voice actors - very good!

Storytelling & pacing - very good!

Missions - challenging and entertaining!

The technical side of things - man, the "short" memories, I am surprised this even works in the A3 engine without serious performance issues while playing, respect! 

I was really impressed and pulled in by the story telling. The way you begin to play the game as "someone" and how you have to figure out things yourself, very well done. I would like a tiny bit more guidance in the mission where you have to block the road with cars though. But then again, I figured it out by myself (as did all of us) and it was nice in the end.

Really, really great work. Besides the first point I have nothing to complain about in this DLC. It's a quality step up for sure! I'd pay extra for a longer campaign with this kind of quality story telling and level of variety.

Thank you guys!

• Like 5

On 8/23/2017 at 9:46 AM, moricky said:

Reveal hidden contents

I played through the campaign 2 times today, got every single DLC achievement except for Humanitarian. Maybe there are some other conditions for unlocking it?

Spoiler

Honestly feels like I tried everything except for going after crates alone.

Currently having issues with the DLC for the campaign actually.

Everything else was fine, enjoyed the info, and showcases and new gear. Though I can't seem to access the campaign. Every time I click on it to play it takes me to Drawdown 2035 instead. It also reset my entire campaign as well. Anyone know how I can play my DLC? Or how to fix this issue?

I realize it's not on dev branch anymore, buuuuut...

In terms of the campaign, when it comes to the clearing of mines with the drone (hardly a spoiler I think considering it was advertised), it's beyond tedious and overly repetitive. I realize I'm hardly the best player, but spending 30min to clear one field because of how insanely accurate you're required to be is a little much. 1 of 4 on getting an AT mine to detonate with direct hits is kinda lame. Shut the campaign off at that point; I was enjoying up until then. I get the point, but it takes an eternity if you don't get lucky, and the fact there are so many AT mines requiring such a precise, direct hit... makes Assassin's Creed look like one of the least repetitive games of all time by comparison.

Hi,

How do you do the survivor (remnant mission). I'm killed within 2 minutes by BLUFOR and INDEP and it seems i have to sweep all combatants. It's too difficult and leads to never ending restarts.

ABSOLUTELY BORING