x3kj

[WIP] Samarsk Uprising - a W40k total conversion

Samarsk Uprising - An unofficial Warhammer 40k Modification for Arma 3

This mod is 100% fan-made, unofficial and strictly non-profit. The mod is neither associated to, nor endorsed by Games Workshop. All assets you see originate either from Arma 3 directly or where made completely from scratch by the creators of this mod.

moddb_notextsyjnq.png

What is Samarsk Uprising?

It is an unofficial, fan made, total conversion (TC) project set in the SciFi Universe of Warhammer 40.000. It is a project X3KJ started in earnest about 3 years ago, though some precursor work dates back 5 years. The purpose of this project is to portray a particular made-up conflict (the Samarsk Uprising) between soldiers of the Imperium and Chaos Renegades in the 40k Universe in the most believable (IRL and "in universe") and immersive way possible. At the same time, staying true to the established lore and design as close as possible is of paramount importance.

Where did the inspiration come from?

X3KJ: "As a long time 40k fan and collector (half of my life at present to be precise) and modder i always wanted to do a game mod for it eventually. When i played the Arma 2 warfare game mode the first time i knew exactly that this was the perfect environment for such a project. I’ve read various Black Library novels and a couple of Forgeworld campaign books along the way. The attention to detail in these is incredible, something that official 40k games and unofficial mods have not yet been able to capture in any way. With this project I aim to do precisely this - capture the detail you could expect from a good novel/ short story/ movie inside a real scale environment. This does mean however, that the scope that the mod can cover is limited."

What is the currently planned scope of the Project?

Instead of a generic “40k mod”, this TC will deal with one particular conflict, the Samarsk Uprising on a mining world in 544.M41. It is an invented conflict, to not step on the toes of official background and to have some creative liberties. The plot (which hasn’t been developed very much atm., but will be refined and iterated as the project goes) has the purpose to provide immersion, context and stronger inspiration for the people working on this project - and maybe also for players themself. The conflict is between the Imperium of Man and the Chaos Renegades, with the planetary defense forces in the middle of it. Xenos (“alien races”) involvement prior to completion of the current scope is not planned - it would result in less productivity when resources are spread thin. Also, it's a nice break from the "standard 40k video game plots" which repeatedly end in some cesspool of a plot where they try to sell us that 4+ races/factions all are after the same thing on this single planet in the universe.

This is not a mod that tries to gobble up all that somehow represents 40k by all means possible. A good, highly detailed and consistent standard of quality is the goal. Also, the gameplay will not be simplified or “arcade-ified” over vanilla Arma 3. Quite the opposite is the case - when it becomes necessary/ makes sense, certain areas will be made more detailed and refined compared to vanilla, without making it cumbersome or difficult to use however.

What is the status of the project?

When attemtping to work on such a project in a team it is important to establish guidelines of how things look, feel, function etc. This is crucial, otherwise (talking from experience) there will be no consistency and many discussions will surface about trivial things - which mostly just produce nothing but hot air. Finding a common denominator is very difficult, especially when a scifi IP which has never really payed attention to finer details, is transformed into something more realistic. Ask 10 fans about how 40k should be like in (somewhat) realistic terms. You will get 10 different answers.

For this reason i (X3KJ) have  worked for about 3.5 years on models alone, figuring out how things could be made functional and which direction would be feasible given the circumstances (limited time, Arma engine). A lot of work has gone into figuring out how to make the models more realistic and sensible, without compromising their original look or feel too much. If you want to read up on some of the details/ progress of this work you can glimpse at the warseer log

Various playable assetts (tanks, hand weapons, imperial guard uniform,...) are the result of this work, including many more WIP models. Now, with the foundation established (by example, not by word) the playable content needs to be refined and extended to get at least two player factions together. Effects need to be created (visual and audio) and the environment needs to be designed and created, which includes structures, prop models, and a map. Furthermore we are looking to add gameplay features which complement the 40k setting and create new solutions to get around certain restrictions of Arma.

How can you help?

This project isn’t possible to bring to a releasable state without additional manpower. Therefore we are looking for people who like the direction this project is going (we would suggest reading through the log) and can lend a hand. So if you are a content creator and interested, contact us, or come join the discord channel. There is a need for about anything one can think of:

Terrain makers, Modellers, Texture Artists, Concept Artists, Scripters, Config Coders, Audio Artists, VFX Artists, Animators, Mission Makers, Writers, etc.

You don’t need to be a professional, but a certain minimum experience in your chosen field(s) is necessary, as we don’t have the manpower/time to teach you from the ground up (yet?).

We also have a need for a data server (e.g. a SVN or Git repository). If you can help with providing one and/or administrating/ setting one up, it would be most appreciated.

Please don’t ask being alpha/ play tester, unless you can also work with configs to help fix or implement things yourself. We will announce when we need dedicated testers. There is no que or reserve slot for beeing play tester either.

When will this be released?

We asked our crystal ball, but it engaged self-destruction - simply put: Impossible to tell right now. We are always excited when we can show new stuff, so you can be sure to hear about it when there will be a timeframe for a release. Until that is the case, please be patient.

Some may wonder if this will fail like the other 2+ attempts of other groups at a W40k mod for A3. Who knows, we are not farseers. However, this idea isn’t just a brainfart from yesterday, and we know from experience how demanding and challenging a total conversion is. X3KJ for example worked 5 years on modding X3:Terran Conflict, 3.5 years of that on the "X-Tended: Terran Conflict" total conversion.

Current Team:

X3KJ - Models, textures, animations, configs, stupid ideas and everything else

recent volunteers:

Genghis Steve - Models, textures, configs

nightovizard - Maps

Testarossa - Models, textures

ComatoseBadger - Models, textures

Dedmen - Scripts, models, textures

Ranger - textures, map work

RichardsD - models, textures

ex developer/contributors:

MartinezFG11 - Models, textures, configs, anims (Binoculars, Brockers Stubber)

Zephyrsouza - Models (HP Model for Tanker+Sergeant Hat)

Special Thanks

Hatchet, Kiory, Mikero, reyhard, Pufu and all the other helpful folks on BIF and discord creator channels.

The Arma WW2/ IFA 3 project team for scripting advise and support on MP compatibility of the extended damage system for vehicles.

All 40k Lexicanum Wiki contributors

BIS for this great platform and the continuing updates

Everyone who provided moral support =)

.. to be continued ..

Visit our discord channel:

dcinvite2xpmb.png

Visit our Mod DB page:

34680.png

• Like 16

WIP-Eye-Candy

Videos:

myself talking about the current status (42min):

Ingame Pictures:

20160802231242_1cosqu.jpg20160802231418_1b3s2t.jpg20170810123708_15bjy2.jpg20170810123906_1qzjtx.jpg2015-11-22_00003q5p4a.jpgtakrhshotn8j2j.pngthunkmknd.png

(Note: this is only a small selection)

WIP Renders:

infmortarykox6.jpg infhbo31oqn.jpgsalamander3v5k2a.jpg griffon1fyuf5.jpgvalkyrie_cockpitajxki.jpgvoxcastereyun1.jpgglwipcrkfe.png

(Note: this is only a small selection)

FAQ

1. Q: Will this be for everyone or will it be limited to only few select servers? As stated in the first few lines, this project is strictly non-profit. Therefore, it will be available for every server owner. I have a strong distaste for “server-exclusive” mods anyway. Servers using this mod will not be allowed for monetization.
  2. Q: When do you consider a first release? Intentionally vague answer: When two opposing factions have enough content completely finished and enough variety to enable smaller combined arms land based encounters. That means a bare minimum of copy pasta placeholders, no unoptimised models/scripts, etc. A small thematically fitting “demo” terrain is also a condition at this time.
  3. Q: Will it require DLC? A: No, at this point. But it may change depending on the development of our terrain/ terrain assets and BI’s policy for using for example textures and vegetation from a DLC in a mod. However, we will only use DLC content if there is a very good reason to do so.
  4. Q: Will there be Astartes? A: Using a regular human skeleton for them is definitely out of question. Creating fully functional characters with custom skeletons in arma is a big pile of work however. If we can find an animator and config coder able and willing to create and implement a gigaton of animations to enable custom characters with a custom skeleton worthy of an Astartes, then the answer would be yes. Everything else (model of character, armor, etc) are childsplay compared to that.
  5. Q: Will there be Titans? A: Unlikely, due to too large scale for gameplay and animation work involved (requires custom skeleton with all custom animations - less than for Astartes though). Not impossible but simply too low priority compared to most other things.
  6. Q: You know there is another 40k Project, right? A: Yes indeed. I've been in contact with them quite early on. They focus less on individual detail or super-realism (compared to my goal) and instead more on variety. I can totally respect that, since not everybody has the nerve to go into as much detail/feels the need to do it as i do. We both came to the mutual conclusion that it just would look completely wrong when having units from both projects side by side due to the stylistic differences. Still, there is room for collaboration (sound or effect department for example). So if you where wondering - no this is not a result of some silly rivalry or personal drama. Just different goals.
  7. Q: There was no update in a week. Is this dead? A: Asking this question (in this exact way or any similar conceivable complete or incomplete manner) is a crime against the Imperial Creed. Anyone guilty of it shall be flogged (no less than fifty lashes) followed by beating (no less than twenty blows with an object of no less than 2kg in weight under Terran standard gravitation), then shot. His corpse shall be burned, and his next of kin invoiced for expended Promethium. Bystanders who make themself guilty of not seizing, restraining and turning in any offender to the local commissariat will be punished similarly but are spared from the flogging.
  • Like 23

Wow, this is some really beautiful work.  I'll be following this mod closely.  Have you chosen what the first enemy army is going to be?  I'd suggest chaos renegades or tau human auxiliary troops just because they are human and should be easier to implement into Arma 3 unlike most of the other factions.

Have you chosen what the first enemy army is going to be?  I'd suggest chaos renegades

The answer is below the "What is the currently planned scope of the Project?" headline ;)

• Like 1

I like the quality of the models, really high and good as BIS original content. Keep up the good work!

Hi man!!

First to all, a wonderfull job!!!! looks amazing!!!!

Second, There are any possibility to get this mod right now? or I must wait?

regards

Quality stuff you have there. Looking forward to the mod's development.

On 7.10.2017 at 12:31 PM, Alexandr0s said:

Second, There are any possibility to get this mod right now? or I must wait?

Unless you contribute actively to the project you have to wait like everybody else.

So in the last months i've been thinking and concepting how buildings/ structures in general look and work on my chosen planet, what metrics are necessary for them to function as desired and how to create a model system that allows time effective creation of many assetts.
This is quite a complex topic, which is a bit too much to go into full detail here.
Part of the concepting also involves defensive structures (walls, fortifications, ...). I want my world to be believable and for that it requires it to function. This means i also had to consider which weapons these structures would have to withstand,  and what weapons would possibly be used from inside them. Basically it meant, that i had to fill out the gap between infantry mortar and basilisk that i hadn't specified yet with the other common artillery weapons used in 40k, and extend it with common Siege weaponry.

here are two results of the tinkering and modelling that was involved in this process: Medusa WIP, and finished Infantry mortar with functional sight unit
medusa_fzmu5i.jpgmedusa_bv1ubp.jpgmortar80sfvu8o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 30/10/2017 at 1:20 PM, x3kj said:

So in the last months i've been thinking and concepting how buildings/ structures in general look and work on my chosen planet, what metrics are necessary for them to function as desired and how to create a model system that allows time effective creation of many assetts.
This is quite a complex topic, which is a bit too much to go into full detail here.
Part of the concepting also involves defensive structures (walls, fortifications, ...). I want my world to be believable and for that it requires it to function. This means i also had to consider which weapons these structures would have to withstand,  and what weapons would possibly be used from inside them. Basically it meant, that i had to fill out the gap between infantry mortar and basilisk that i hadn't specified yet with the other common artillery weapons used in 40k, and extend it with common Siege weaponry.

here are two results of the tinkering and modelling that was involved in this process: Medusa WIP, and finished Infantry mortar with functional sight unit
medusa_fzmu5i.jpgmedusa_bv1ubp.jpgmortar80sfvu8o.jpg

Great job, I anto to see a Imperial world and not the Arma 3  custom maps!!

How many you are in the team?

8 hours ago, Alexandr0s said:

Great job, I anto to see a Imperial world and not the Arma 3  custom maps!!

So you mean you want to volunteer to create the map ? =)

Current team size is listed in the very first post and it is still effectively 1 (the volunteers are on and off - all work on other mods primarily)

16 hours ago, x3kj said:

So you mean you want to volunteer to create the map ? =)

Current team size is listed in the very first post and it is still effectively 1 (the volunteers are on and off - all work on other mods primarily)

jajaj I wish but I dont know how to build a map, but if you give me the map base and the objects y can do sometihing

crfarmorwip1cuunn.png
WIP uniform for renegade faction

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Merry christmas to all readers :)

As this is also traditionally the time for charity, i'd like to announce that i'm taking time donations via PayTime - you can choose 5h, 10h, 1 day or a custom amount :wiggle:

Work on heavy weapons and fortifications continues, slowly -> Early WIP of Heavy Mortar and Quadlauncher on field gun carriage (modelled after DKoK models, but carriage is a custom pattern);  WIP Reinforced pillbox wallsections - building blocks for the creation of the real pillboxes; WIP Earthshaker cannon in armored turret, for a potential artillery fort system.
fieldartilleryawjky.jpgbunker_v2yxkuk.jpgarmored_cupolarrj7s.jpg
The Quadlauncher sits in the middle between Heavy Mortar and Infantry mortar, at least in the TT rules. It is essentially a four barreled medium mortar, if background and TT rules are fused together. A single tube Medium mortar is not known in the background or TT, but would make a lot of sense from a logical standpoint. Same munition as quad launcher, easier to relocate and transport. Once the Centaur is complete (currently on hold because of Physx issues...), a variant with medium mortar installed would propably be very usefull.

The current roadmap for structures is, to start with defenses (pillboxes, walls, vehicle obstacles) to provide first real gameplay opportunities, even on a relatively flat and barren map (which also needs to be created, still). The fortifications are designed to be more realistic, so they are harder to take out. There will be no huge 1m x 5m gaps for "firing slits". This is why defense buildings with different fortification levels (wall thickness) are planned, to allow for flexible scenario creation. After all, not every scenario should require a Medusa Siege Gun or human wave tactics to disable it/get close to it. Here you can see prototypes of the fortification system: Reinforced pillbox wallsections - building blocks for the creation of the real pillboxes - and an Earthshaker cannon in armored turret, for a potential artillery fort system.
The concepting is far from over (as you can clearly see), and more work needs to be completed before the first structures can be finished and put ingame. Among the blocking tasks are the crew served weapons, that need to be integrated properly into the defense building block system.

Artillery without an observer is useless, and an observer needs magnification. This is why MartinezFG11 kicked his work on this mod off with two binocular variants (small and large) - from start to finish. A big thanks to him. This is the very first usable contribution by somebody else other than myself in this projects's development , a little milestone so to speak :) I think i should say "we" from now on :D
ffvbinosvvjoe.jpg
As you can see, the Hydra now has it's crew placed properly. It also a heavy stubber as front weapon option now  (as well as heavy bolter, obviously). This idea came from the FW units, which can often exchange their heavy bolters for heavy stubbers. In tabletop the option is mostly just for flavor, in this mod however both will be very usefull. One has more ammo, flatter trajectory and higher rate of fire and velocity, the other has more hitting power, armor penetration and an explosive effect. This heavy stubber option extends to all Leman Russ and Chimera family vehicles now. In the case of the Chimera troop carrier, we reached a majestic 32 unique different configuration variants, with all 3 current camo patterns that's 96 variants requiring config classes

cfgpatches9sjsr.png

It was decided not making smoke launcher an option on vehicles, it's installed by default instead - otherwise it would be double the amount of classes...

Edit: Forgot to upload pics from a while ago - ingame mortar (short and long version), and textured Infantry webbing (base rifle man kit)

107410_20171101233646sfsv9.png20171204221709_1h3rbr.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Happy new year.

concepts for fortified heavy vehicle service facility and fuel depot

vehicle_service_bunkeuhphw.jpgvehicle_service_bunkewgr88.jpg

fuel_depot_bunkernaqhw.jpgfuel_depot_bunker2pzrnu.jpg

• Like 8

Big thanks to iSchluff who offered us a bit of servers space and help in setting up a SVN repository.

Mean while work continues - very slowly - machineguns for the infantry (HP model, wip) by me

stubss_allfsuz1.jpg

• Like 10

Long time no update, but things are still going - just not a lot of significant stuff to show. The Heavy Stubber from above was finished and optimized, as well as the Stubgun. MartinezFG11 also worked on another Heavy Stubber which should be ready soon-ish. Some vehicles also got their LOD pass that was still missing (Basilisk and Hydra). Texturing the passenger interior of the Chimera was started but is not quite there yet.

LODstubber2.jpgstubgun0cuh1.jpg20180511023516_15iuec.jpg

Concepting for structures (buildings and fortifications) continued. I think i am finally happy with the Medium pillbox concept, now it goes into details and modelling all the different modules from which a wide variety of different layouts can be constructed in a time efficient manner. Seen in the pictures are the first base modules (blank wall, 2 different firing portholes - both for single and dual storey building). The textures will need some tinkering still. What's next are entry points, firing positions for a variety of medium and heavy weapons, corners at different angles and so on, as well as the interior.

20180527203119_1hmud9.jpg

A lot of my time was also spent on figuring out and starting a base system for new texturing materials that can be shared across multiple people of the team, so things will look similar even if different people made them. Still quite a long way to go with that however ... i hope i'm not getting sick of this kind of french spaghetti any time soon 

The team of volunteers has grown as well, 2 map makers (Nightovizard and Mog'Dug) and 2 additional modellers (Ghengis Steve and Testarossa) have voiced their interest in helping so far. May the future be bright grim dark and productive :icon5:

We are still looking for any people interested in helping. Especially those who could support us with config work and/or scripting, animators (esp. hand and reload animations for hand weapons) and sound effect creators would be most helpful right now.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

To adress the limitations of the vanilla artillery system we have to come up with our own solution (that also works for AI)

This is a sneak peak/ demonstration of the functionality at current state:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wow that's pretty nifty actually, good work!

Days without connection to the outside world can also be beneficial sometimes... i got pretty far with figuring out the first and smallest wall system type (which would used for small outposts/ bases). Still WIP obviously (esp. the vehicle firing element) and incomplete (e.g. there are no cornerpieces yet). The wall has regular parapet like 'ordinary' walls, but also integrated trench for protection during bombardments. 95% are already textured with the pillbox texture shown previously - pretty good mileage out of one texture i say. For 40k setting the merger with the trench made the most sense to me. Without it the troops would be super exposed to shells that fly over the wall and explode in the back. Plus when something manages to flank fire the wall soldiers have a chance of survival

gatesys4d8d07.jpggatesys3stdzi.jpg

gatesys536fkh.jpggatesys2bcdlq.jpg

gatesys1jrdg5.jpggatesys6yece9.jpg

gatesys9oyd5z.jpggatesys8ofev2.jpg

• Like 5

1) Corner piece (Bastion) for the wall sections, with open area for placement of vehicles, bunkers or other stuff

2) Small Pillbox, designed for 2-3 people fighting, or one heavy weapons team (different modifications will allow placing of tripod/bipod mounted heavy weapons), Class XV protection - safe against most ordinary Cannons @500m (not against siege weapons)

cornerfuse.jpg20190217223006_1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1