anfo

Server FPS Recommendation

G'day

Since learning (late) about #monitor we have been keeping a very keen eye of server FPS lately and the results have caused some friendly debate about what constitutes a "normal" FPS range. A thing to note, some of our mission editors go a bit "prop-happy" and this seems to have prompted some discussion about whether it causes our server to be under too much load which might cause client d/c and other performance issues.

As a recent test with all props removed from mission, the server launches with an average server FPS of 45 FPS. If we leave the props in, the FPS will drop to an average of 18 FPS. It seems pretty obvious that we're burdening the server with all the objects it has to manage and surely we need to be more careful in future to increase Server FPS levels. Or do we? By the way, enabling Dynamic Simulation offered little or no increase in FPS.

So my question is what is too low? what is a good overall target FPS that might guarantee whole mission stability?

Anfo

22 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

not one mention of player count or AI count

Did you mean, "Hi Anfo, what was the AI count or player count?"

Your interpersonal skills could do with some work.

• Like 3

I got an info bout minimum FPS from dwarden on discord and he told that the average FPS should not fall below 20.
On my servers mission I scripted an auto restart if FPS falls below 20 within an average of the last 20 minutes.
I also do an auto restart every 3 hours but only if no player is online currently

sent from mobile using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sarogahtyp said:

I got an info bout minimum FPS from dwarden on discord and he told that the average FPS should not fall below 20.
On my servers mission I scripted an auto restart if FPS falls below 20 within an average of the last 20 minutes.
I also do an auto restart every 3 hours but only if no player is online currently

sent from mobile using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input Saro :)

keep server FPS equal or over 20 fps ... (so 20 to 50 fps as that's maximum)

short terms dips under that value can be compensated but the longer the worse game-play quality will become

as server needs to predict and error correct and discard incoming messages (obsolete) or outgoing messages (queues)

• Like 5

I found that an A2 server below 20 FPS was essentially unusable, but I've had an A3 server down as low as 12 FPS and given a perfectly decent game

5 hours ago, kklownboy said:

below 40, is to low for a server doing COOP

I think all things considered 40 may be a difficult goal for us to achieve. Based on all feedback I can see that the FPS I was running on our last coop mission (~18 FPS) was way too low, and there was no "buffer" to allow for dips.

So I have set my own goal of achieving, if possible a minimum server FPS of 30 or higher to allow the server some performance dip "wiggle room".

• Like 2

we have had 200 AI and 8 players with 50fps on the server. Most drags on fps are "systems" that make things easier, lame uniform packs, poor models of guns etc.. 18fps is very bad for AI to react, or be even a little bit smart.

wouldn't play on a server with 30fps or less. Missions ,systems ,and mods need to be worked out. this is for coop.

We use ASR,RHS NIA Alive, CBA ACE ACRE.

We use other bits of great mods, but thats under robalos  ASR magic beyond just ASR AI

1 hour ago, kklownboy said:

wouldn't play on a server with 30fps or less. Missions ,systems ,and mods need to be worked out. this is for coop.

Thanks @kklownboy and I hope I didn't appear to be dismissing your feedback. I guess there is an impetus for any server admin/mission editor to keep FPS as high as possible, but since myself and another mission maker like to use a good number of props for immersion, our FPS will take a hit more than most I would presume.

a server running 10 fps or less will have noticeable poor response from the AI making it unplayable

A server fps of around 15 is the bare minimum that you ever want to see

Ideal situation 20 or above

The following can help you gain fps

1. Define a maximum ping allowed from your clients (Client connection quality can cause serverside cps issues)
  2. The use of enablesimulation false on all objects such as sandbags etc
  3. The use of agents instead of standard ai for some units
  4. Caching system for AI units
  5. Correct setup of your bandwidth configuration
  6. Good mission scripting

i will be blunt, when i say the threshold for optimal performance is 20 fps server-side and client-side then it is ...

don't come with assumptions that median within 10+ or 15+ is ok, it's not 

engine can compensate spikes, not constant or prolonged lower than 20 

there is negative effect even if you don't see it manifested 

• Like 5

Main things for server FPS are:

- AI count, keep it as low as possible while still being fun

- Player/unit density. Try not to concentrate a lot of action in a small area. Spread units and players out as much as possible while retaining the gameplay you want.

- Script errors, get rid of them!!!

- Pre-compile all SQF to variables at the start of the session, to call them as functions or spawn them as scripts.

- Entity & object cleanup. Minimum number of corpses, destroyed vehicles and other garbage generated over the course of a mission. If you need some assistance here let me know.

- Map objects. Use "Simple Object" editor attribute whenever you can. Benefits marginal but > 0.

- Dynamic simulation. Make use of it if you can. Benefits will be marginal but > 0.

- Restart the server as necessary. Depending on player count and other factors, this may be every 4-24hrs.

As Dwarden said, maintain server FPS 20+

if you use recent profiling branch performance binaries for server

then you can use those automatic restart options after specific amount of mission ends 

• Like 1

Just to continue with server FPS, is there any other magic tools (like #monitor) that could help us determine whether a server is (will) run at optimum?

Interestingly, I run a Linux DS and have server FPS continually in the 8-12 range...and no complaints from users. I'm at a loss to see where the effects are being felt or "negative impact"... Like to see more information on the topic, though.

the impact is that below 20 server must predict, compensate and discard obsolete messages (both incoming and outgoing)

in short, you do not want your FPS below 20 otherwise unforeseen consequences ...

try get server over 20 then compare :)

• Thanks 1

On 9.8.2017 at 2:53 AM, kklownboy said:

we have had 200 AI and 8 players with 50fps on the server. Most drags on fps are "systems" that make things easier, lame uniform packs, poor models of guns etc.. 18fps is very bad for AI to react, or be even a little bit smart.

We use ASR,RHS NIA Alive, CBA ACE ACRE.

We use other bits of great mods, but thats under robalos  ASR magic beyond just ASR AI

Server doesn't care about uniforms or poor gun models. It doesn't render stuff. I would always recommend using the profiling build and actually profiling why the server is slow. Instead of guessing around.

Hi All,

Thanks a lot anfo, for this great thread.

I will use these ideas and advice to see if I can get the FPS up from 12-18 client side on my modded server. 

Cheers,