Sign in to follow this  
kerozen

Proxy retexturing in config

Hey. I was wondering if there is any way to change the texture of a proxy in the config. I'm a complete noob when it comes to models and stuff like that

a bit of info of what im trynig to do.

Main model (HMMWV): DAR_M1151.p3d

Proxy model (HMMWV Antena): DAR_M1151_Details.p3d 

The HMMWV Antena only has 1 skin (tan) and because its not part of the main model i can't retexture it and change the texture in the config file.

I tried duplicating the proxy model, changing its textures and applying the duplicated proxy in a duplicated main model, it worked but the HMMWV stopped working properly, no animations, turret doesn't move and there is a permanent muzzle flash.

Any thing i can do?

Nothing inside the proxy can be animated or use hiddenSelections.

But you can add multiple proxies to your main model and then animate them to be shown one at a time (type="hide") from the code.

13 minutes ago, UK_Apollo said:

But you can add multiple proxies to your main model and then animate them to be shown one at a time (type="hide") from the code.

Thank you for the help. I will try and check it out. I have no idea how to do it.

I also tried the "easy way out" and deleted the proxy but at a distance the proxy can still be seen, how do i fix that?

Animate the proxies in the same way you animate anything else in the model. "hide" is an animation, as much as "translation" or "rotation".

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Model_Config

If you have deleted something, but still see it at a distance, you may not have removed the object in all res LOD's, or have forgotten to name the object if it is included in a hide animation.

21 minutes ago, UK_Apollo said:

This isn't quite true, you can apply hiddenSelectionsTexture to proxies in the same manner it's done for the wreck LOD proxy

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Setting_Textures_for_Wrecks

It's not very good for performance though.

However, since BIS raised the  vertex index limit of 3D models, you may as well delete the proxy triangle and just copy the mesh from the proxy .p3d in to that position on the main vehicle model.

btw @kerozen, the animations on the second model probably didn't work because you didn't add a new class for the second model, in the model.cfg

Interesting da12th, I'd read about that wreck model texture setting, but assumed it couldn't/shouldn't be used for non-wreck models. Is there any data on how it hits performance, as it could be of use?

I agree that copying/pasting the proxy mesh into the main model is likely to be the best way to go in this case.

Most of what you guys are saying is gibberish to me xD

8 minutes ago, da12thMonkey said:

you didn't add a new class for the second model, in the model.cfg

I did not, i will check that.

13 minutes ago, UK_Apollo said:

If you have deleted something, but still see it at a distance, you may not have removed the object in all res LOD's, or have forgotten to name the object if it is included in a hide animation.

I'm using Object Builder but have no idea what 90% of the buttons do. On the right side there was a list of all the proxies and i just selected the one i wanted and deleted it. Where do i find and edit LODs?

I didn't create any of the models, i'm using DAR HMMWVs. The owner/creator made all the unbinerized files public and gave permission to edit, recreate, fix, etc, anything in the mod. I just wanted to reskin the hmmwvs from Tan to white (UN) but its turn out its more complicated than i thought. I've done basic reskins but never had to deal with proxies.

@UK_Apollo

No hard data, but Pettka stated himself when they first introduced it, that it wasn't optimal for performance and they didn't recommend it for other uses beyond applying textures to wrecks.

Since proxies are a separate draw-call to the main model and it probably takes additional computation time in the engine to apply for the process of reloading and rendering external meshes mesh with a different texture to the one loaded at init, it's understandably going to have more overhead.

None the less it was used successfully on some RHS stuff, and perhaps still is in places where we haven't found time to merge the proxy objects in to the main model after the vertex limit extension.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kerozen said:

Where do i find and edit LODs?

I think i found it.

Nope. I found the suposed lods, deleted the antena from all the lods but at a distance its still there